1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Ultimate Extreme Budget Six

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by sabre cat, Sep 16, 2016.

1. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Some of you have scaled back your collections to just a few knives and seem to be very happy with what you own. GatorMedic's six knife collection is a good example. IIRC, he has four folding and two fixed blade knives.

Well, I have been thinking about setting up a budget mini collection. Maybe it will end up in my emergency gear or go to my daughter. Maybe it will become my EDC set. Not really sure yet. I just figured that this is a good chance to tap into the wisdom and knowledge of my fellow forum members.

So, here's the deal. My goal is to have the knives stored in a Nylon Condor knife arsenal. So, please choose your suggestions accordingly. Each knife should have a street price of $30 dollars or less. Preferably less. Tax and shipping not included.

Here is the breakdown of what I am thinking:

1. A utility knife with disposable blades.

2. One multi-tool.

3. Dress/travel knife with a 2 1/2 blade (or slightly less).

4. Small EDC, (make it something modern, with about a 3 inch blade, if possible).

5. Large EDC. Once again, make it a modern, suitable for gloves would be nice. Give it a larger blade than the small EDC.

6. Your choice. I am thinking some sort of traditional folder here but I am open to suggestions from all of you.

These six might be paired with an inexpensive sharpening stone(less than $15) and a fixed blade knife if needed. Possibly a Mora knife of some sort. Feel free to post your opinion on these also.

There are no restrictions on you except those listed above. Brand, model and country of origin are all up to you.

What do you suggest?

Thanks everyone.

2. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Banned Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Hmm. The only knives under $30 I've purchased were SAK's as gifts.

An alox or other nice material could suit 2 and 3, keeping the budget low.

An Ontario Utilitac 2 for large folder.

An Opinel

ESEE Zancudo for small folder

Travel knife, Byrd Robin 2, stainless handles.

Sent via pony express

3. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I actually cheated and bought a seventh knife about a week and a half ago. I was originally going to sell off one of my knives immediately to retain the 6 total, but I decided a day or two ago that I'm going to hold off selling one just yet. Figure I'll give the new knife some carry time on the month challenge to get a feel for it. Then I'll make a decision about selling it or one of the others. And fyi I'm not a guy lol. As to your question...

Multitool: Leatherman Wingman hands down. Love this multitool for the insanely low price of ~$20 around holiday sales time. Has a good selection of tools, including a package opener that is perfect for opening blister packages. Not to mention backed up by Leatherman's great warranty. I keep one in all my backpacks.

Dress/travel: I'd go with the Kershaw Leek probably if you can find it on sale, but it's bigger blade then you stated. So if that was a no go, then probably say most would be happy with Alox SAK.

Small EDC: Buck Bantam. Solid choice in my opinion. Kershaw Cryo is another option out there, but I personally didn't like the knife. Different taste for different people though. I gifted my Cryo to someone who loves it and carries it nearly every day.

Large EDC: Ontario Rat I. To me this one is a no brainer. It's definitely big, and it's built to take some abuse.

Free Choice: Mora Companion. Simply can't beat the value and it would be good to have a fixed blade in the mix to fill roles the others don't do as well.

**Disclaimer: If it were me on a budget, I'd scour forum sale threads or other places for good deals on used knives. For example, a member on here recently made a thread about a full-size Benchmade Griptilian he bought at a yard sale for less than one dollar. I've seen Delicas sold for $40, but I'm sure some have been sold for the $30 mark. A used but good condition knife like those for a steal of a price would be the best option in my mind. But then again I'd probably still pick a Leatherman Wingman, Ontario Rat 1, and Mora Companion to form the basis of the collection. Then see if I could get some steals to finish it up.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  4. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    that sounds legit

5. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    It just has to have a street price of $30 dollars or less. If the going price for a used knife falls in that range, it's game. Just state it is used when you make your list.

6. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    1: Disposable Utility: old school box cutters with the sliding metal sleve/handle. Free most times with a purchase over $X at mom'n'pop hardware stores. I've got a dozen or more probably.

[​IMG]

2: Multitool: Leatherman Wingman - You'll have to hunt, but they can be had for under $30 on occasion.

[​IMG]

3: Classy Gent's Knife: As stated before, it can be 2 & 3: An Alox SAK. I like the Cadet. Attach a small blonde leather lanyard with pewter bead to a black or blue one, shnazzy!

[​IMG]

4: Small EDC: Kershaw Chill. No brainer. This can fill the 3 spot too if you polish or hand pull satin the blade.

[​IMG]

5. Large EDC :Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara 2 FRN. It's really only $20. Simply amazing at that price. Seriously.

[​IMG]

6: Flashlight: Streamlight Stylus Pro. My traditional choice would be the SAK again so I added an easy to carry light. Love it.

[​IMG]

I've always got a Mora nearby, mostly companion HDs, so that'd be my fixed blade choice. Add in a salvaged hunk of 4x4 with some scrap leather and wet/dry sandpaper for sharpening and we're good to go.

These are the tools I recommend to the uninitiated when asked what to buy, because they do a very fine job and leave $ for other tasks or activities. While I tend to use higher end stuff, I'd be happy to use and often do still use the things listed here.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  7. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    I started like you, OP, searching for the ultimate "low budget" list of basic blades and sharp essentials. I also wanted at least a quality, inexpensive tool of each category and after much trying, using and buying, my picks would be

1: Milwaukee Fastback II, OHO, nice clip and ergos, knife itself stores spare blade, bright colour for quick spotting, gut hook (if you cut rope and cord you'll thank this one) and quick replacement blade

2: Leatherman Wingman, truly not the best, strongest or most versatile, but for the price is hard to beat this one, and is a big improvement over the cheapo brands, the LM Rev andon par with the Sidekick. Lots of quality for the $, and truly hard to beat at this price point. Clip is convenient, blade is sharp and nice, scissors are OK, basic drivers and nice package opener

[​IMG]

3: I'd take a SAK as well, the Bantam or Waiter for super slim, easy carry. Any Victorinox in the small size range will be classy, compact and lightweight while useful, multi purpose and nice looking to anyone.

[​IMG]

4: Lots of small EDCs with lots of styles, locks, materials, shapes... from Byrds, SanRenMus, Kershaws and Bucks. I'd personally check a , KaBar Dozier Mini, Byrd Meadowlark or Byrd Crow, or Ontario RAT II, HARNDS Nyx, SRM710...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Another vote for the Byrd Cara Cara 2 FRN, but also consider the Utilitac II and KaBar Dozier. Three beasts, hard to beat value folders with 3" blade or more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6: Small fixed blade/Neck knife: If you have a Mora, just try a smallish neck knife to see if it's your style (CRKT Minimalist, KaBar Piggyback, etc. etc. etc.)

[​IMG]

Tell us what you finally get! :thumbup:

8. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    A fixed blade neck knife would be lots of fun but not legal to carry where I live.:(

I will be sure to let all of you know what the final outcome is. Should be a fun project.

Keep the ideas coming!

9. Woodcamo Nut

Woodcamo Nut

Apr 15, 2014
    Neck knives are not illegal to carry in California.

10. Goose 7279

Goose 7279

Jul 22, 2015
    Check out the kershaw emerson collabs espicially the cqc6 and 7 can be found under 30

11. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014

I am under the impression that any fixed blade carried on your person in Calif. has to be worn at waist level and be exposed. It appears that you know something that I don't. Please fill me in.

12. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    Answers in line in red

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  13. Goosey

Goosey

Mar 19, 2012
    Small EDC about 3 inches, "extreme budget", Sanrenmu 710. Cue pitchfork-waving CRK fans. ;)

14. betover

betover Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2015
    OK I've gone a little over budget on two knives but way under budget on three, so it should balance out.

UTILITY KNIFE Giving 2 picks here Gerber Eab Lite Pocket knife $7.31
    Stanley Utility $1.93
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Both the Buck 110 & the Leak might be found on the exchange used for somewhat less. If upi pick up these two used, you can make your whole list at under $100 & have very good coverage.

15. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Wow, I figured more people than this would step up with advice.

Come on , everyone. I know that you have an opinion.

16. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Hi Everyone,

In all of the excitement in other areas of my life, I failed to get back here in a timely fashion. Some changes from the original plan have been made because it dawned on me that I might already have most of these so

Here are the six I am going with:

1. A utility knife with disposable blades.

Klein Tools #44100, No charge

2. One multi-tool.

Gerber MP600, $23.00, used

3. Dress/travel knife with a 2 1/2 blade (or slightly less).

Victorinox Cadet, $19.00 Used

4. Small EDC, (make it something modern, with about a 3 inch blade, if possible).

Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter #4065, $19.72

5. Large EDC. Once again, make it a modern, suitable for gloves would be nice. Give it a larger blade than the small EDC.

Utilitac II drop point, $28.99

6. Your choice. I am thinking some sort of traditional folder here but I am open to suggestions from all of you.

I decided to go with the idea of a small flashlight, as someone suggested. Now I have to find one I like.

Inexpensive sharpening stone:

Rothco makes a "GI" stone for about six bucks. Not the greatest but it should fit with the rest of the gear.

Possibly a Mora knife of some sort:

I received a small Falcon fixed blade from someone in the Pay it Forward thread. That should work for now.

Everything (except the FB and stone) should fit nicely in the Condor nylon pouch and not take up much room. Just what I am after.

Thanks Everyone.

17. benzy2

benzy2

Jul 18, 2013
    Can I take the entire budget and put it into a used small sebenza? I can't stand multi tools. The difference between a 2.5" and 3" edc blade is trivial. The difference between a 3" and a 3.5" edc knife really is minimal. For a hard use knife, sure there is a difference but for average EDC use I couldn't say I've ever thought "a 3" knife just isn't enough, I wish I had a 3.5-4"knife." Then number six is again just preference.

I'd rather have one really good knife than six cheapies. If I could trade all my cheapies I started with in I could have bought 1-2 nice knives from the start. If I can't hunt for a used knife in budget then I'll take a ZT 0450.

18. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    Really nice! I know you'll enjoy them

Don't worry to beat on the Utilitac or the MP600, they're both budget tanks and will take it!

[​IMG]

Excellent decision

[​IMG]

19. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Going strictly on "budget"

#2 Leatherman Wingman is hard to beat for price vs. functionality
    #3 CRKT Pazoda with g10
    #4 Kabar Dozier
    #5 Knifecenter had the Kershaw Scrambler on sale for $25.
    #6 Boker congress knife, more blades the better right?

For fixed, Mora is a nice cheap option, I own a few, but for full tang harder use, consider the Schrade schf10 is also currently on sale at Knifecenter for $25.

All can be had for right around $150 and free shipping.

Add a smith's 3-in-1 sharpener for a cheap sharpener, and all you have left is a utility blade. The little slide style flat box cutters are dirt cheap.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  20. skyhorse

skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    Buck 110
    Mora
    Case peanut in CV steel, $29.95 shipped.
    [​IMG]