The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Your guess is quite a ways off.:rolleyes:
The 2019 BF knife was $92. Not far from the $71 Buck. Maybe they are not as far out of reach as you want to think.

I was referring to the cost of that trapper. So far as I know, that is not the 2019 forum knife.

GEC does not seem to make enough knives in a run to meet the demand for any pattern.
If they are sold out, how much money you have is irrelevant; GEC and their dealers don't have one to sell you.
You are forced to pay inflated prices on the secondary market for one - if you can find one.
"High Demand + Low Supply/Availability = Artificially High Prices." That is Basic Economics, Pre-101.

I remember when Pontiac introduced the Fierro. Demand was high, and they were near impossible to find in stock at a dealership.
They will selling for 20 to 30% or more, above the window sticker price; if you managed to find one at a dealership, until Pontiac increased production to meet demand.

I have difficulty justifying to myself spending over $25-$30 or so for a knife. I try to spend less than $20, if at all possible.

Yes. I buy mainly Rough Rider, Marbles, and BTI Schrade. So far, they have done everything I need.
My "more expensive"/"most expensive" tend to be a standard production Buck 110, or one of the SK Blades SFO 110 LT knives. Well under $40, at any rate, and I have to save up for those, or go without something else that I need/want.

I had to save up for three months to get the 2018 Forum knife. (I started saving before all the details had been decided.)
At the time, I had never spent that much for a knife in my life.
My SK Blades "The Gentleman" Buck 110 cost a bit more, but was still under $100 delivered to my door. However, it was several months after the forum knife when I bought it.

When I first joined BF I had difficulty justifying spending over $15-$17 for a new slipjoint.
(I even had a fairly good paying job back then. I had not yet been forced to retire because my blood pressure was up and I could not pass the DOT driver Physical.)
However, inflation has hit hard - as usual.

Last edited:
I was referring to the cost of that trapper. So far as I know, that is not the 2019 forum knife.

GEC does not seem to make enough knives in a run to meet the demand for any pattern.
If they are sold out, how much money you have is irrelevant; GEC and their dealers don't have one to sell you.
You are forced to pay inflated prices on the secondary market for one - if you can find one.
"High Demand + Low Supply/Availability = Artificially High Prices." That is Basic Economics, Pre-101.

I remember when Pontiac introduced the Fierro. Demand was high, and they were near impossible to find in stock at a dealership.
They will selling for 20 to 30% above the window sticker price, if you managed to find one at a dealership, until Pontiac increased production to meet demand.

I have difficulty justifying to myself spending over $25-$30 or so for a knife. I try to spend less than $20, if at all possible.

Yes. I buy mainly Rough Rider, Marbles, and BTI Schrade. So far, they have done everything I need.
My "more expensive"/"most expensive" tend to be a standard production Buck 110, or one of the SK Blades SFO 110 LT knives. Well under $40, at any rate, and I have to save up for those, or go without something else that I need/want.

I had to save up for three months to get the 2018 Forum knife. (I started saving before all the details had been decided.)
At the time, I had never spent that much for a knife in my life.
My SK Blades "The Gentleman" Buck 110 cost a bit more, but was still under $100 delivered to my door. However, it was several months after the forum knife when I bought it.

When I first joined BF I had difficulty justifying spending over $15-$17 for a new slipjoint.
(I even had a fairly good paying job back then. I had not yet been forced to retire because my blood pressure was up and I could not pass the DOT driver Physical.)
However, inflation has hit hard - as usual.
TL;DR

Ok then.

Whatever you all come up with is gonna be great I’m sure.

The 2018 Buck and 2019 GEC are both winners and a pleasure to use and own.

I hope we are fortunate again this year to have the option for a 2020 version.

When I read “punch nut” I snorted. Catchy!

if the 2020 knife is a Northwoods, I wont buy one unless it is only available for purchase during a 4 minute window in the middle of the day on a weekday.
When the storm is at its height?
Or when the full moon shines and the wolfbane blooms?
Or ha ha ha the Mrs sees you hovering at the crucial moment for purchase and says "oh are you getting another one of those knifey things? I love you honey.Here let me rub your shoulders while you wait."*
*any similarity to any persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

When the birds are flying and the fish are jumping, and if you are a fortunate enough sportsman to put some on the game table, well then your very special, 2020 Blade Forums Buck Knives Bird & Trout Knife (with wonderful steel), will be standing by and up to the task! You will be happy - trust me on this!! ;) OH
Cleaning-ducks-with-Buck-102-on-12-18-17.jpg

Cape-Carteret-12-27-19-cleaning-Speck.jpg

I'll cast probably the lone vote of dissent. Recent NW runs have left me cold. They've put out some nice knives in the past with full flat grinds, but recently all I've seen are saber-ground single-bladed stuff with advertising stamped into the blade. I wouldn't buy one if they were widely in stock and cost the same as a regular GEC.

I'll join you. I know it won't be popular but if it is GEC et al I'm out.

When the birds are flying and the fish are jumping, and if you are a fortunate enough sportsman to put some on the game table, well then your very special, 2020 Blade Forums Buck Knives Bird & Trout Knife (with wonderful steel), will be standing by and up to the task! You will be happy - trust me on this!! ;) OH
Cleaning-ducks-with-Buck-102-on-12-18-17.jpg

Cape-Carteret-12-27-19-cleaning-Speck.jpg

I cleaned a hoop of birds and fish with my 102. First knife I ever bought with my own money. My oldest daughter carries it now as her primary hunting knife. I don't like the new style sheaths but oh well. I think a 102 or that 118 would be really cool.

I haven't been in on the last few mainly because I just can't keep up with all the threads. I mean this one is less than a week old, not an official thread, and is already at 12 pages.

This past Year's knife was cool and if I'd known how it would turn out I might have tried harder to keep up with it and order one.

if the 2020 knife is a Northwoods, I wont buy one unless it is only available for purchase during a 4 minute window in the middle of the day on a weekday.

I didn't read this whole thread, but I've seen at least a couple mentions of Northwoods. Northwoods is a private brand, owned by KnivesShipFree. The only way it could be a forum Knife is if Jay agreed to it and putting the rights/trademarks/etc on a forum knife. Jay is a great guy, but I don't see how it would make sense for the brand.

I was somewhat surprised at the TC forum knife a few years back though also. Although that one makes more sense, being that a Barlow was traditionally a low cost easy to get knife.

And only if they use a shopping app that allows poaching out of your cart ...

I'll join you. I know it won't be popular but if it is GEC et al I'm out.

I'm not down on either. I'd be fine with NW if it was something along the lines of the Presidential, one of my favorite users. I just don't like where they've gone recently, style-wise. I passed on last years forum knife because it was too much like the recent NW offerings ... I hate saber grinds on light-duty knives and I detest advertising on the blade. Combine the two and I run screaming for the woods. :) Something big and classy with a FFG, no stamp/etch, more than one blade, and that arrowhead shield and I'll fight to get in line.

I'm not sure that a Northwoods would fit the budget requirements.
The rare metal they use on those arrowhead shields has become very pricey.

The rules say that they have to sell them at cost. Then we'd all see just how much they're making now. I suspect that it's a lot ...

I'm not sure that a Northwoods would fit the budget requirements.
The rare metal they use on those arrowhead shields has become very pricey.
Don't they use the scarce "unobtanium" for those? Put that on a unicorn ivory handle, and it would be so rare, you'd probably never find one.... "I thought I saw one on the 'bay yesterday, but I was wrong...."

I didn't read this whole thread, but I've seen at least a couple mentions of Northwoods. Northwoods is a private brand, owned by KnivesShipFree. The only way it could be a forum Knife is if Jay agreed to it and putting the rights/trademarks/etc on a forum knife. Jay is a great guy, but I don't see how it would make sense for the brand.

I was somewhat surprised at the TC forum knife a few years back though also. Although that one makes more sense, being that a Barlow was traditionally a low cost easy to get knife.
There has been a Northwoods forum knife before. It is not unprecedented. The Northwoods brand has come along way since then, but alot of that success can be traced back to the support by BF members. Once upon a time Derrick was very active here.

There is a comment in this thread from him.

Back