The upcoming, anticipated, way-too-excited GEC 85's Thread!

I'm not sure what gets a knife listed on the "finished" page. Some misses:
  • The 2 blade Cripple Creek micarta and stag 14s recently released are not on the 14 page
  • None of the 2 blade Cripple Creeks are on the 2018 releases page, but all of the single blade SFOs appear to be there (not sure what makes the CC ones different)
  • The jigged brazilian cherry 85 didn't make the 2018 releases page or the 85 page, but the banana and salmon acrylic did
  • There is no pattern page for the 44 gunstock jacks that came out earlier this year
  • And I've noticed similar inconsistencies when I've tried to look up older knives before
I do really and sincerely appreciate how GEC keeps a record of their releases. But I'm with you in that I wish there was a bit more consistency. Also, I'd say it's probably time to standardize the "production schedule" and "production totals" pages -- these guys have heard about Excel, right?! :)
I can help :)

Pretty sure their record keeping is with parchment and a quill, but I suppose it’s part of the old world quality. Or it’s a smart trick to keep us junkies combing their website like maniacs.

Do you think Bill and Christine keep their quills sharp with a trusty pen blade????

I'm not sure what gets a knife listed on the "finished" page. Some misses:
  • The 2 blade Cripple Creek micarta and stag 14s recently released are not on the 14 page
  • None of the 2 blade Cripple Creeks are on the 2018 releases page, but all of the single blade SFOs appear to be there (not sure what makes the CC ones different)
  • The jigged brazilian cherry 85 didn't make the 2018 releases page or the 85 page, but the banana and salmon acrylic did
  • There is no pattern page for the 44 gunstock jacks that came out earlier this year
  • And I've noticed similar inconsistencies when I've tried to look up older knives before
I do really and sincerely appreciate how GEC keeps a record of their releases. But I'm with you in that I wish there was a bit more consistency. Also, I'd say it's probably time to standardize the "production schedule" and "production totals" pages -- these guys have heard about Excel, right?! :)
Production photos, schedules, production numbers should really just be considered bonuses.

I've been enjoying my Salmon 85 for a while now and it got me to thinking. The point end of the blade is proportionally much wider than is normal in most knives. Even the clip point on the earlier releases is quite wide.

The only functional reason that I can think of is that the wider blade is easily pinchable (I think that it's also visually interesting, but that has nothing to do with function). Of course that isn't a factor on the Northfields which have the EO notch and don't need a wider blade to be pinchable.

Does anyone know of another reason why the 85 has such a wide blade?

Fruit Bunnies!

ZwrPe0I.jpg

Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Production photos, schedules, production numbers should really just be considered bonuses.

Probably so... even the finished photos aren't safe. Found broken links when searching by pattern number. Went looking for all variations of the ugly ole ;) 56 Weaver Jacks.

Thanks, Mike! I'll jump in first, since I was fortunate enough to have my order fulfilled, shipped, and delivered (got it last night!).

fullsizeoutput_2cfc.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2cfa.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2cfd.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2cfb.jpeg
This is the first 85 I've held and I can say that it is more impressive than I anticipated.

The wood itself is outstanding, but the tipped and lined bolsters, the match-striker pull, and the corset shield really bring it all together in a stunning package. I gave it a flush and the action has smoothed out nicely. There is some blade rap, but that makes sense with a blade this robust. All of the transitions are smooth and there are no gaps. I love how often getting a GEC feels like getting a custom made knife. They really do a great job.

Thanks for making this one happen, Mike!

Thank you, Mike, for giving us the all clear. I got mine in yesterday and wasn't sure when an appropriate time to show them off would be.

Up until yesterday, I had never handled or seen an 85 in person. I've seen many pictures here of course and I remember being a bit turned off by the EO notch when I first saw them however long ago. Like with any hobby really, tastes and what not tend to change and evolve and this time would be no exception. After the SFOs became available to reserve, I quickly snagged a Blood Red and a Buffalo Bone (mistakenly thinking horn). Since Burl can be hit and miss for me, I knew that I would likely be kicking myself for not reserving one and yes, I am indeed kicking myself. The burl shone above is rather striking, congrats to those who snagged one!

None of the Tidioute covers appealed to me and I haven't regretted not picking one up yet. The match strike pulls and EO notches fit the pattern so well that I do not know that I would want an 85 without either. (See how things change?)

Moving on. I was a bit under the weather yesterday with a massive migraine so when my kids brought the box from the mail on their way back from school, I thought for sure that seeing these knives would brighten my day. Unfortunately, when I opened up the tubes, instant disappointment sank in. The dye job on my Blood red is very poor and though I did indeed select a second for my Buffalo Bone, welcoming the discount and thinking the cracks would still be minimal, my example has a rather gigantic pin crack that extends from top bolster all the way to the shield.

Not one to be prone to hasty reaction, I returned them to their tubes and decided to sleep on it, let my migraine go away, and look at them with fresh eyes on the morrow.

The pros:
  • The fit is impeccable. Everything is tight, centered, transitions are pleasing, and it just speaks to me as a very well built knife.
  • The walk & talk is excellent. I would rate the pulls to be around a 6 or 7. It snaps open and closes quite pleasingly.
  • The blade is perfectly centered and has a nice thin and sharp edge on it. This is going to be a heck of a slicer.
  • The Northfield features all are a perfect match to this pattern. The match strike pull, the lined and dimpled bolsters, and that corset shield is just pure class.
  • The EO notch is a very pleasant surprise. I find myself liking it more and more from an aesthetic standpoint, it has grown on me immensely.
The cons:
  • When I am expecting a Blood Red Bone, I picture a deep red with dark overtones. What I received was quite the opposite. The dye is pretty washed out, with hints of white and pink showing in places, particularly towards the bolsters and EO notch. Though I am disappointed that it isn't the Blood Red I have come to expect and enjoy, I found myself calling this a strawberry almost immediately. For whatever reason, I found myself becoming attached to it.
  • The Buffalo Bone is less a con than a simple observation. I knew I wasn't going to get a perfect example, I just didn't expect the crack to be so extensive and garish. Overall, I like the color and depth of the bone and I think this will age wonderfully as a solid user.
The knives themselves are excellent, I like everything about the size, the frame, the shield, pull, etc. Aside from my disappointment in the covers, they are certainly finely made knives with excellent fit, superb walk and talk, and an excellent edge right out of the tube.

Now for a couple of quick shots.

Q7Ox2n1.jpg

idka91I.jpg

Got these fat little sausage fingers crossed so hard for one of these tiger maples, one of these finest looking examples of this pattern I’ve ever seen, and with any luck one will be my first Northfield 85. Looking forward to seeing more pics roll out.

I received my Tiger Maple today, it is fantastic. I would love post a picture of it but I have not mastered posting of pictures on the forum yet. Does anyone have the link to the thread with the instructions?

Thank you, Mike, for giving us the all clear. I got mine in yesterday and wasn't sure when an appropriate time to show them off would be.

Up until yesterday, I had never handled or seen an 85 in person. I've seen many pictures here of course and I remember being a bit turned off by the EO notch when I first saw them however long ago. Like with any hobby really, tastes and what not tend to change and evolve and this time would be no exception. After the SFOs became available to reserve, I quickly snagged a Blood Red and a Buffalo Bone (mistakenly thinking horn). Since Burl can be hit and miss for me, I knew that I would likely be kicking myself for not reserving one and yes, I am indeed kicking myself. The burl shone above is rather striking, congrats to those who snagged one!

None of the Tidioute covers appealed to me and I haven't regretted not picking one up yet. The match strike pulls and EO notches fit the pattern so well that I do not know that I would want an 85 without either. (See how things change?)

Moving on. I was a bit under the weather yesterday with a massive migraine so when my kids brought the box from the mail on their way back from school, I thought for sure that seeing these knives would brighten my day. Unfortunately, when I opened up the tubes, instant disappointment sank in. The dye job on my Blood red is very poor and though I did indeed select a second for my Buffalo Bone, welcoming the discount and thinking the cracks would still be minimal, my example has a rather gigantic pin crack that extends from top bolster all the way to the shield.

Not one to be prone to hasty reaction, I returned them to their tubes and decided to sleep on it, let my migraine go away, and look at them with fresh eyes on the morrow.

The pros:
  • The fit is impeccable. Everything is tight, centered, transitions are pleasing, and it just speaks to me as a very well built knife.
  • The walk & talk is excellent. I would rate the pulls to be around a 6 or 7. It snaps open and closes quite pleasingly.
  • The blade is perfectly centered and has a nice thin and sharp edge on it. This is going to be a heck of a slicer.
  • The Northfield features all are a perfect match to this pattern. The match strike pull, the lined and dimpled bolsters, and that corset shield is just pure class.
  • The EO notch is a very pleasant surprise. I find myself liking it more and more from an aesthetic standpoint, it has grown on me immensely.
The cons:
  • When I am expecting a Blood Red Bone, I picture a deep red with dark overtones. What I received was quite the opposite. The dye is pretty washed out, with hints of white and pink showing in places, particularly towards the bolsters and EO notch. Though I am disappointed that it isn't the Blood Red I have come to expect and enjoy, I found myself calling this a strawberry almost immediately. For whatever reason, I found myself becoming attached to it.
  • The Buffalo Bone is less a con than a simple observation. I knew I wasn't going to get a perfect example, I just didn't expect the crack to be so extensive and garish. Overall, I like the color and depth of the bone and I think this will age wonderfully as a solid user.
The knives themselves are excellent, I like everything about the size, the frame, the shield, pull, etc. Aside from my disappointment in the covers, they are certainly finely made knives with excellent fit, superb walk and talk, and an excellent edge right out of the tube.

Now for a couple of quick shots.

Q7Ox2n1.jpg

idka91I.jpg

Those are a couple good looking knives, Dylan! And thanks for the thorough assessment. :thumbsup: I completely agree with you that this is one of those patterns on which the Northfield trim just works. That is a bit of a bummer about the dye job on your “Blood Red,” it certainly seems a bit lacking (though still a good looking knife). I don’t dislike the crack in the Buffalo bone; it gives it character! ;)

Those are a couple good looking knives, Dylan! And thanks for the thorough assessment. :thumbsup: I completely agree with you that this is one of those patterns on which the Northfield trim just works. That is a bit of a bummer about the dye job on your “Blood Red,” it certainly seems a bit lacking (though still a good looking knife). I don’t dislike the crack in the Buffalo bone; it gives it character! ;)

Thank you, Barrett. They are certainly fine looking knives and I am happy to have been able to acquire them, even aside from the issues. I just think of the red bone as Strawberry instead of Blood Red and that helps somewhat. The cracks in the Buffalo certainly do lend the knife character and it is growing on me.

Speaking of issues, is blade rap something that has been known to occur with the 85s? I guess it would not be all that surprising considering the belly on that spear but I just discovered that my one in Buffalo Bone has received a sizable ding on the edge. I suppose I will be closing these a lot more carefully from now on.

Back