The whiskey tribe and Trade!

Good call on the Sazarac rye!

I haven't tried the basil haydens dark rye yet.
Same with the Elijah Craig rye. But I am going to guess that they are pretty great.
The only rye I've tried is the Jack Daniels single barrel... I wonder how the Sazerac would compare to it?
I've been thinking about the Angel's Envy rye, but at $100 a bottle, it's a little on the high side for me.

As an aside, I did manage to pick up a bottle of Lagavullin 8 yr old today.... testing in a little while..

The only rye I've tried is the Jack Daniels single barrel... I wonder how the Sazerac would compare to it?
I've been thinking about the Angel's Envy rye, but at $100 a bottle, it's a little on the high side for me.

As an aside, I did manage to pick up a bottle of Lagavullin 8 yr old today.... testing in a little while..
I haven't tried the jack daniels single barrel rye yet. Not sure how it would compare to the Sazerac.

Let us know how you like the Lagavulin.

Try to find the JD single barrel, barrel proof rye they made. It's really good.

the sazerac is a very easy sipper to me, and is priced very fairly (at MSRP). I'd recommend it to anybody wanting to try more ryes

I popped the cork on my bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 year rye on friday evening. just a taste, want to make this one last, but it was fantastic.
I didnt do any notes on it, just enjoyed it and did a little head to head tasting with some michters rye I had open as well and the VWFRR was head and shoulders above the Michters. the mouthfeel was excellent, oily, rich, velvet, and smooth. I literally said "wow" outloud after my first sip to the amusement of my wife and daughter.

They did grab me a bottle of Crown 16 year rye earlier in the day though, so they are forgiven.

Just bought 2 - 375ml bottles of the Dewar's Double Double 27 today at TWM - $100/bottle - to see whether it deserved the "award."

It's good but I'm not "in love" w/it because there's a little bite to it neat. Will have to do a side by side taste test of it w/Dewar's 18 to see how they differ.

Even at $100/bottle, this stuff is REALLY GOOD!!!!

I highly recommend it!

What changed from you being not in love with it to being really good?

A 2nd tasting.

It was much better to me the 2nd time around. It is a 27 year old distillation after all. How many bottles of 27 year old scotch can you buy for $200/750ml bottle; $100/375ml. Offering it in only 375ml bottles makes it more affordable to most but I already bought 2 of them.

And, I'm already about 1/2 thru the 1st 375 bottle. ;)

Last edited:
A 2nd tasting.

It was much better to me the 2nd time around. It is a 27 year old distillation after all. How many bottles of 27 year old scotch can you buy for $200/750ml bottle; $100/375ml. Offering it in only 375ml bottles makes it more affordable to most but I already bought 2 of them.

And, I'm already about 1/2 thru the 1st 375 bottle. ;)
Ha true. I meant did you have something different before hand or leave it out longer?

Also, you'd be surprised how many old whiskies you can buy in Scotland around $200. My wife bought me a 38 year old bottle that is fantastic for around $210.

So the moral of this story is go to Scotland and bring lots of spending money!

Ha true. I meant did you have something different before hand or leave it out longer?

Also, you'd be surprised how many old whiskies you can buy in Scotland around $200. My wife bought me a 38 year old bottle that is fantastic for around $210.

So the moral of this story is go to Scotland and bring lots of spending money!

I think I left it out on the counter a bit longer to allow it to "breathe." Came out much smoother neat that way.

The ridiculous pricing of 12yr (or younger) bourbons compared w/what you can get in scotch is what has turned me off to buying any more bourbon and return to buying/collecting scotch. Besides, apart from a few grossly overpriced bottles, there really aren't many more bourbons that I care to try right now.

The only bourbons on my "buy list" right now are: Jefferson Ocean - Cask Strength, Basil Hayden 10 and Knob Creek 12. Haven't seen them anywhere.

BTW, did you see the photo I posted in the Bourbon & Knives thread that showed what my LLS is asking for the Weller's they had on the shelf (at least as of a wk or so ago)? If not, go take a look at how crazy their pricing is for what are supposed to retail for $50 or less. 🤪

In comparison, the most recent scotch that I purchased was a bottle of GlenDronnach 21 Parliament that cost me $199 (plus tax, of course) which is the same pricing for the Dewars 27 (375ml x 2) and was about $30 less than what TWM wanted for it, if they had any in stock which they don't.

There are only 4 bottles of "older" scotches still on my "buy list" and they are: Macallan 15 Double Cask ($130), Bowmore 18 ($125), Highland Park 18 ($160) and GlenFarclas 21 ($115); pricing at my local TWM.

Compare that w/the $250 that I paid for a bottle of Weller 12 at my LLS! :eek:

My "problem" is that I am a "collector" by nature and the prices asked for both bourbon and scotch are well w/in my reach financially but, as with knives and other things, I need to set a limit on what I spend and, so far, that limit for booze is $250/bottle.

Fortunately, I am running out of booze in this price range that I want to buy and am also running out of shelf space that I want to devote to the collection. The count currently stands at 91 bottles right now (61 scotch and 30 bourbon) and I'm setting the limit on that at 100.

If I didn't already know that doing so would be a fruitless venture, I'd get a liquor license and use my "inventory" to open a bourbon/scotch whiskey bar.

LOL! ;)

Last edited:
I think I left it out on the counter a bit longer to allow it to "breathe." Came out much smoother neat that way.

The ridiculous pricing of 12yr (or younger) bourbons compared w/what you can get in scotch is what has turned me off to buying any more bourbon and return to buying/collecting scotch. Besides, apart from a few grossly overpriced bottles, there really aren't many more bourbons that I care to try right now.

The only bourbons on my "buy list" right now are: Jefferson Ocean - Cask Strength, Basil Hayden 10 and Knob Creek 12. Haven't seen them anywhere.

BTW, did you see the photo I posted in the Bourbon & Knives thread that showed what my LLS is asking for the Weller's they had on the shelf (at least as of a wk or so ago)? If not, go take a look at how crazy their pricing is for what are supposed to retail for $50 or less. 🤪

In comparison, the most recent scotch that I purchased was a bottle of GlenDronnach 21 Parliament that cost me $199 (plus tax, of course) which is the same pricing for the Dewars 27 (375ml x 2) and was about $30 less than what TWM wanted for it, if they had any in stock which they don't.

There are only 4 bottles of "older" scotches still on my "buy list" and they are: Macallan 15 Double Cask ($130), Bowmore 18 ($125), Highland Park 18 ($160) and GlenFarclas 21 ($115); pricing at my local TWM.

My "problem" is that I am a "collector" by nature and the prices asked for both bourbon and scotch are well w/in my reach financially but, as with knives and other things, I need to set a limit on what I spend and, so far, that limit for booze is $250/bottle.

Fortunately, I am running out of booze in this price range that I want to buy and am also running out of shelf space that I want to devote to the collection. The count currently stands at 91 bottles right now (61 scotch and 30 bourbon) and I'm setting the limit on that at 100.

If I didn't already know that doing so would be fruitless venture, I'd get a liquor license and use my "inventory" to open a bourbon/scotch whiskey bar.

LOL! ;)
Yeah I saw the picture, bourbon pricing is crazy unless it's controlled by the state. I picked up a Weller SR for $30 the other day just because it happened to be available while I was passing by. Two of the three bourbon you are searching for are available around here, no knob creek 12, just the 15.

Try to find a bottle of the Bowmore 19, it's really tasty. I've got about 110 bottles right now, but some I'm buying for my son to give to him when he's older so I tell my wife those don't count hahaha. Hopefully the pricing on scotch will eventually come down since the tariffs have been removed.

I wouldn't sweat the Basil Hayden's 10 yr, personally. If they upped the proof a bit, along with the extra aging, I might feel differently.
As for the extra 2 yrs, I much preferred the Widow Jane 8yr over their 10yr. Granted, this is a different bourbon...and, if it's just for the shelf, taste doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I wouldn't sweat the Basil Hayden's 10 yr, personally. If they upped the proof a bit, asking with the extra aging, I might feel differently.
As for the extra 2 yrs, I much preferred the Widow Jane 8yr over their 10yr. Granted, this is a different...and, if it's just for the shelf, taste doesn't matter.

Just put Basil Hayden 10 on the list because I preferred aged statements and I didn't want to buy a run-of-the mill bottle of BH. Haven't tried the WJ 8 yet. The WJ 10 was ok but wasn't in love w/it.

However, I recently opened my bottle of Rowen Creek and I like it better than Noah's Mill. The charred oak comes thru and makes it a much smoother dram to me. Still a bit hot to drink neat; not bad w/some water but still this it's best on ice, which is my general opinion about bourbons regardless of the ABV.

I tend to forget how much water/ice can affect bourbon, because I so rarely drink it that way.
I've mentioned before that Rowan's Creek is one that - for me - benefits from some air. I generally open it, pour half into another bottle, and let both sit for a few weeks/months before drinking.

I won't be participating much in this thread for the next few months - bourbon (neat) doesn't taste right to me in the hotter weather; and I won't bend the topic by posting my tequilas (even the ones aged in bourbon barrels). I probably won't start a new thread; so I'll swing back to Knives and Drinks. (Tequila is experiencing a big upswing; and some of the prices are increasing accordingly.)

I tend to forget how much water/ice can affect bourbon, because I so rarely drink it that way.
I've mentioned before that Rowan's Creek is one that - for me - benefits from some air. I generally open it, pour half into another bottle, and let both sit for a few weeks/months before drinking.

I won't be participating much in this thread for the next few months - bourbon (neat) doesn't taste right to me in the hotter weather; and I won't bend the topic by posting my tequilas (even the ones aged in bourbon barrels). I probably won't start a new thread; so I'll swing back to Knives and Drinks. (Tequila is experiencing a big upswing; and some of the prices are increasing accordingly.)
I'll allow it lol. I live in San diego. We have great access to good tequila and more important.....
Mezcal!!!! (My personal favorite agave based spirit)

If I didn't already know that doing so would be a fruitless venture, I'd get a liquor license and use my "inventory" to open a bourbon/scotch whiskey bar.

LOL! ;)
Jefferson Ocean cask strength is on my list too.
I also haven't see it.

Hahha that sounds like ypu would have a great start as a small whiskey bar!

Hmmm - thought I posted that in the Bourbon and Blades thread.
The last bottle of mezcal I ordered, I asked for a refund after making 2 inconvenient trips to collect it...and finding the shop closed (the second of which was after speaking with the owner, and being specifically told what time they opened). I might try to order another bottle; but from a more local shop (or I might convince myself I don't need another expensive bottle of mezcal)

Hmmm - thought I posted that in the Bourbon and Blades thread.
The last bottle of mezcal I ordered, I asked for a refund after making 2 inconvenient trips to collect it...and finding the shop closed (the second of which was after speaking with the owner, and being specifically told what time they opened). I might try to order another bottle; but from a more local shop (or I might convince myself I don't need another expensive bottle of mezcal)
What bottle did you order?

My last expensive mezcal was
Los Javis Tepeztate. (wedding gift)

And that was spectacular. Had no idea it was nearly 200 bucks!

Anybody find and try the Laphroaig 10 sherry oak cask yet? Going to try and find it tomorrow...

Back