The winner was the TFI.

OK...long of the short of it was...

Well, I gave my brother a choice between a Cerberus and a TFI for a non large chopper, for X-mass and well I know he uses every knife I gave helping around the old man's and "Evil" stepmother's farm. (Hey are are called "evil" by tradition! We must keep our traditions right? :D ) Well first off he felted (IE really got a good feel for the handle and swish and flipped it a bit getting balance and other things I saw whirling in his head as he was evaluating it.) the TFI. First thing he said, "This won't be good for gutting deer to much." (He's experienced at Deer processing, just as he said just for gutting, my Falcon is good at it I find for gutting deer because of its shortedness of blade.) after he felted it and probably fully analyzed what he could use it for.

Next was the CERBERUS, he felted it up, got some good looks over it and such, he could see it was better at doing finer tasks and suchly.

I explained the purpose of the TFI is a great all round smaller general task near indestructible knife. Smaller survival type sharpened pry bar but with its FFG and 1/4" spine it would act "Saberish" for most tasks. And the odd angle and such helped with doing stuff and such, and how his hand would more likely stay off the blade when fatigued. And a few other things I told him he know of about the glory of 5160 being damn near bomb proof.

I then told him the Cerberus was more of a general purpose fine task knife, it was D2 steel (a near stainless steel) and how it would perform doing things. How its blade was good for that type of stuff. General purpose good fine task knife that can step up and do bigger tasks, the usual as one would expect from OKC knives.

Well he chose the TFI I guess because of its more heavy capable utility. And the fact that he seemed to like handling the knife and seeing what tasks it could do from various positions, but I also think he like the way it felt when he felted the knife when getting a good feeling for it. And well the knife-ti-cool factor as well. :cool:

He does have the RD4 I gave him like an Idiot I was, so I guess he figured he had a good FFG heavy duty that can do the finer and lighter tasks if needed.

For second hand "review" as it was big critter cutting season they used all the knives I gave him mostly. The one that was most used and liked for the cow cutting session was the OKC Woodsman in 420 HC SS (type of steel) as it could do cuts of meat and acted like a dang good cleaver on the smaller bones. Not cracking a full leg bone to open for marrow, I'd use an axe for that, but bones you run in to when cutting meat cuts. And not a nick and knife NEVER WENT DULL! My little brother uses it for woods and larger game cutting as well, because the stainless works great on them critter cutting sessions. Its a great large knife/cleaver it seems as well. The one problem is now his mother keeps wanting to steal the steel (like our little sister did) ...well she borrowed it quite a bit this critter cutting season. In the field some one made a U-tube video use of it and it worked pretty well. And remember its Steel Vs Wood and not a Vibranium-Adamantium Alloy shield or any thing.

When funds are avaialble I'm getting a TFI to keep it to two for me, and another woodsman for wet borne misadventures I get in to.

Add on 'em thingy: I think he decided on the TFI over the Cerberus as he already has a FFG RD4 I gave him. A nice short prybar of a heavy use multi-tool that still can do smaller blade tasks. (me I'm keeping my Falcon for such things as well...still got that spare TFI myself as well.)

Edicus Duce: Well he told me it was also tacticoolio besides the other stuff mention was why he wanted it. He let the "evil" step mother use it to slay one of them huge mutant squashes today as no "Kitchen" knife could slay the sucker. The Evil Step Mother intends on inflicting said evil squash her grand kids. (If that's not evil what is?)

Last edited:
OK...long of the short of it was...

Well, I gave my brother a choice between a Cerberus and a TFI for a non large chopper, for X-mass and well I know he uses every knife I gave helping around the old man's and "Evil" stepmother's farm. (Hey are are called "evil" by tradition! We must keep our traditions right? :D ) Well first off he felted (IE really got a good feel for the handle and swish and flipped it a bit getting balance and other things I saw whirling in his head as he was evaluating it.) the TFI. First thing he said, "This won't be good for gutting deer to much." (He's experienced at Deer processing, just as he said just for gutting, my Falcon is good at it I find for gutting deer because of its shortedness of blade.) after he felted it and probably fully analyzed what he could use it for.

Next was the CERBERUS, he felted it up, got some good looks over it and such, he could see it was better at doing finer tasks and suchly.

I explained the purpose of the TFI is a great all round smaller general task near indestructible knife. Smaller survival type sharpened pry bar but with its FFG and 1/4" spine it would act "Saberish" for most tasks. And the odd angle and such helped with doing stuff and such, and how his hand would more likely stay off the blade when fatigued. And a few other things I told him he know of about the glory of 5160 being damn near bomb proof.

I then told him the Cerberus was more of a general purpose fine task knife, it was D2 steel (a near stainless steel) and how it would perform doing things. How its blade was good for that type of stuff. General purpose good fine task knife that can step up and do bigger tasks, the usual as one would expect from OKC knives.

Well he chose the TFI I guess because of its more heavy capable utility. And the fact that he seemed to like handling the knife and seeing what tasks it could do from various positions, but I also think he like the way it felt when he felted the knife when getting a good feeling for it. And well the knife-ti-cool factor as well. :cool:

He does have the RD4 I gave him like an Idiot I was, so I guess he figured he had a good FFG heavy duty that can do the finer and lighter tasks if needed.

For second hand "review" as it was big critter cutting season they used all the knives I gave him mostly. The one that was most used and liked for the cow cutting session was the OKC Woodsman in 420 HC SS (type of steel) as it could do cuts of meat and acted like a dang good cleaver on the smaller bones. Not cracking a full leg bone to open for marrow, I'd use an axe for that, but bones you run in to when cutting meat cuts. And not a nick and knife NEVER WENT DULL! My little brother uses it for woods and larger game cutting as well, because the stainless works great on them critter cutting sessions. Its a great large knife/cleaver it seems as well. The one problem is now his mother keeps wanting to steal the steel (like our little sister did) ...well she borrowed it quite a bit this critter cutting season. In the field some one made a U-tube video use of it and it worked pretty well. And remember its Steel Vs Wood and not a Vibranium-Adamantium Alloy shield or any thing.

When funds are avaialble I'm getting a TFI to keep it to two for me, and another woodsman for wet borne misadventures I get in to.

Add on 'em thingy: I think he decided on the TFI over the Cerberus as he already has a FFG RD4 I gave him. A nice short prybar of a heavy use multi-tool that still can do smaller blade tasks. (me I'm keeping my Falcon for such things as well...still got that spare TFI myself as well.)

Edicus Duce: Well he told me it was also tacticoolio besides the other stuff mention was why he wanted it. He let the "evil" step mother use it to slay one of them huge mutant squashes today as no "Kitchen" knife could slay the sucker. The Evil Step Mother intends on inflicting said evil squash her grand kids. (If that's not evil what is?)

I had a chance to felted up a Cerberus and a TFI last year that someone was selling. The Cerberus handle feel and everything about it blew me away. It was probably the best feeling knife handle I've ever held and I used it with pleasure until I gave it to my cousin at christmas time to attach to his Army gear. I saw the look on his face when he was checking it out and he definitely loved it too. I like the okc 5160 and I meant to go back for the TFI but someone else jumped on it before I got the cash together. I thought it was strangely thick and a wierd big round palm swell, but still felt good in the hand. Interesting knife.

I had a chance to felted up a Cerberus and a TFI last year that someone was selling. The Cerberus handle feel and everything about it blew me away. It was probably the best feeling knife handle I've ever held and I used it with pleasure until I gave it to my cousin at christmas time to attach to his Army gear. I saw the look on his face when he was checking it out and he definitely loved it too. I like the okc 5160 and I meant to go back for the TFI but someone else jumped on it before I got the cash together. I thought it was strangely thick and a wierd big round palm swell, but still felt good in the hand. Interesting knife.
http://imgur.com/gallery/zzfdEKK

TFI was discontinued some time ago. I have a few, new, as Tier One knives for shtf.

My son is a businessman, on the road every day, urban and not experienced with a survival or combat knife. Although there are a number of knives that would fall into a combined category of survival/ combat knife, this is the knife I gifted him to keep in the car.

Yep tis gone. I gave one away to a little brother who gave it away to another little brother, he thinks its a great knife. Me I'm keeping my last one! I thought I'd be able one but then....POOF dey gone!

Glad I got a few more Cerberuses when I could though! :D

Back