The Wonderous Whittler

I am pretty fond of this GEC easy pocket whittler

GEC%20Courthouse%20Whittler.jpg

Wow, Charlie, those are really some amazing specimens you have there, and in such excellent condition... I'm blown away!!

Hope you enjoyed that.

I sure did.... Wow.

I didn't intend to monopolize the thread.

No worries about that.

I don't even know where to start.

But think I'd end up here...
CNoyes said:

and here...
CNoyes said:

and here...
CNoyes said:

and here...
CNoyes said:

...for starters.

Beautiful collection. There is so much to admire and contemplate in each piece; how rewarding it must be to compare them to one another.

Thanks so much!

~ P.

Wow Charlie, what a stunning group! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Thanks for posting that Case, Duncan. I've always liked that one when it made it into your photos.

I only have a couple whittlers although I like the pattern a lot. Maybe I can scrape them up for a photo or two. That GEC whittler looks so fine.

Ed J

Thanks to all.

Pertinux, that 225 swell-center, balloon-ended knife is just about the most commonly encountered Robeson whittler, in spite of the strangeness of its blade configuration. If you search an internet auction site regularly, one will appear, sooner, more likely than later.

That little reversed congress was introduced by Robeson at Christmas time, 1910.

I only have a few:

I*XL

large.jpg

Case - Watch Your Eyes!

large.jpg

Reese Bose

large.jpg

Holley

large.jpg

Hammer Brand - NYKC - Walden

large.jpg

I don't know how I missed this thread, but wow, awesome Gevonovich and everyone else that posted!!

I love whittlers and this thread has been like candy.

New to me this week, fresh from New Zealand: A Case whittler with sheepsfoot main.

It's a beauty:
IMG_9727.jpg~original

The thicker wedge between the secondaries results in a nice hand-full when using the primary sheepsfoot, yet also makes for a firm grip when using either of the smaller blades. A very comfortable design.

IMG_9769.jpg~original

IMG_9768.jpg~original

IMG_9767.jpg~original

IMG_9725.jpg~original
IMG_9724.jpg~original

Long pulls on each of the three blades:
IMG_9717.jpg~original

IMG_9720.jpg~original

Arathol-inspired picture of the whittler grazing in the wild:
IMG_9757.jpg~original

~ P.

Not sure how I've managed to miss this thread before. I've only had one Whittler, and very briefly, as it already had Lambertiana's name on it :) But it's an interesting pattern, and one I like the look of very much.

There are many photos of some fantastic knives. What a collection that is Charlie, incredible. While Smiling-Knife comes up with some great Sheffield treasures as always - the Bokers aren't bad either! ;) Thanks for sharing folks :)

I now have three Schrade Walden 804s (i am guessing one from the 50s, 60s, and 70s) that the OP has, and none have the v-notch in the divider beyond the tip of the main clip blade and none have the notch for accessing the coping blade. The slight variation in each of the knives is fascinating.

New to me this week, fresh from New Zealand: A Case whittler with sheepsfoot main.

It's a beauty:

Arathol-inspired picture of the whittler grazing in the wild:
IMG_9757.jpg~original

~ P.

A beauty is right, congrats ~P :thumbup:

I love the Case Congress pattern, I have a small and a medium and they feel "right". The Congress is well represented in my collection with examples from Boker, Hen and Rooster, GEC but my favorites are the Case.

Love the "grazing" pic too, couldn't help but repost :D

I now have three Schrade Walden 804s (i am guessing one from the 50s, 60s, and 70s) that the OP has, and none have the v-notch in the divider beyond the tip of the main clip blade and none have the notch for accessing the coping blade. The slight variation in each of the knives is fascinating.

I would be interested in seeing some comparison pictures if you are of a mind, Owen. It is interesting how many are quite different.

I am so happy to see more beauties showing up!! Thanks to all.:D

Since you asked...

From what I've learned, the 804 was produced between 1952 and 1973. It was called the Mechanic's knife.
Schrade switched over to Delrin in 1964, iirc.
They used the Schrade/Walden/NY USA tang stamp until 73.

The two bone 804s I have are between 1952-64.
The delrin is 1964-1973.

The one I will call A appears to be the oldest. It has a rounded shielded with more of a badge shape to the federal shield. It has great pocket worn bone.
B is also bone but it has a flat shield in the more familiar two-horned federal shape.
C is jigged delrin with a flat shield that has been melted into the haft.

The pics >>>>>>>>

8726200114_694a61c5c9_b.jpg

8726200326_36dc4a0b39_b.jpg

Top to bottom, A B C.

Shields:
8725083313_e8cd16cc4a_b.jpg

Main clip blades:
8726200960_141c8e5697_b.jpg

Secondary clip (!) blades:
8726201722_d997e49d36_b.jpg

notice how B has the edges slightly more swedged (or just rounded off) than A or C.

Coping secondaries:
8726201890_d9d3da9373_b.jpg

NO V NOTCHES:
8726200820_edece519e7_b.jpg

Vanishing liners (note that A is much shorter):
8726202062_1c5258f182_b.jpg

Steel sandwiches:
8725082349_5950de84dd_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back