The Wonderous Whittler

Thought this great thread started by Gevonovich should be brought back up to front page #1. Here are a couple of my Schrade Whittlers. Top one is a 804 tang stamped (primary only) Schrade Walden NY USA. The bottom 804 is tang stamped (all blades) Schrade Walden. Besides obviously the handles materials and jigging differences there are a few other notable differences. I have referred to this thread many times and am pleased to now contribute. I would encourage others that may have Whittlers to please post photos. Thanks!

Got this one while at the Lewisburg PA knife show last weekend, excellent little folder, I did modify the pen blade into a coping blade, as it seemed redundant to have the same tip profile on all three blades, the coping blade is quite the direct cutter now!

Small clip point blade says 6383 WH SS

Case_whittler.jpg~original

While the lighting from the light box makes the blades appear black, they are actually mirror polished, but this did make a neat picture with the edges highlighted as they are.

G2

Two wonderful pieces, Luger!! The 804 is where it all started:D. Funny, I was just looking through this thread the other night. A few pictures are missing but there is a whole lot of goodness that still lives here and I too hope for more. Thanks so much Luger1952!!!

Your 804 in bone is just outstanding!!! Congrats of both beauties:thumbup::thumbup:

Wonderful photo Gary and nice modification of the extra pen blade! Thanks Gevonovich for your nice comments. WOW, beautiful photograph wish I had that ability!

I see at least four main differences (besides the handle material and jigging) in the two Whittlers I posted and I believe they can be seen in my not so great photographs. Just for fun can someone name those differences? (maybe you see more) but I can see four off hand. Thanks, Lloyd

Last edited:
Just arrived today. This is the seller's pictures - I will get some of my own soon....

I never met many old whittlers I didn't like. Many fine examples shown on this page and in the thread !

Catt Whittlers:
in8iuv.jpg

Cattaraugus Model 32409 Jigged Bone Sleeveboard Whittler, three and three eighths inches closed length, hammered pins - one of my very favorite old knives:
2dr5avc.jpg

2mxonyd.jpg

Cattaraugus Jigged Bone Carpenter Whittler, model 32879, circa 1886-1963:

osga5d.jpg

28auv5h.jpg

Cattaraugus model 32599 Whittler

svmo9c.jpg

66ahs3.jpg

Catt%20OW1_zpsa1za0tg7.jpg~original

John Primble Louisville Whittler:

2rfsugg.jpg

1975 Case XX model 6383 red bone whittler:
2j2w3m8.jpg

1970 Case XX model 6308 red bone whittler:
24zcd47.jpg

fo0geh.jpg

New York Knife Company Whittler:

207b7tu.jpg

jkuntk.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a EC Simmons Keen Kutter...

I love that one,Jake!! Wow

Jamie
The Remington is tremendous...the main is wondrous!

The other two are gems as well! What a treat to see...Thank you!

Vaporstang
I really like that GEC....I coveted one for a long time.

Mike
Some great old pieces! Thanks for sharing them

Primble

Just so much goodness in those pieces....I will continue tonight eying them...lol

Primble, some real beauties there! The Hensel is my favorite of the bunch with bone to die for :eek:

Thank you Jamie - you have some fine oldies yourself sir !

Primble

Just so much goodness in those pieces....I will continue tonight eying them...lol

Thank you - always a treat to see your Richmond and still trying to figure out the brand on that mellow stag whittler. :)

I live just 40 miles from Richmond, KY. I used to work there, just in case you think I need that old knife or something. :eek::eek::confused:;):D:D:D

I particularly like the whittlers with the file blade.

Primble That small Hensel Catt is a really beautiful piece, the way the jigging goes into the bolster. Catt Whittler? :eek: I'm not sure my Tabby likes the sound of that!:D Cool Catts for sure those knives:thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you - always a treat to see your Richmond and still trying to figure out the brand on that mellow stag whittler. :)

I live just 40 miles from Richmond, KY. I used to work there, just in case you think I need that old knife or something. :eek::eek::confused:;):D:D:D

I particularly like the whittlers with the file blade.

The mellow stag is an IXL George Wostenholm, my friend!

21141496260_5ed00bd5d1_b.jpg

The file special patent

21141491070_fd68bb1186_b.jpg

I think it would be a hard thing to do to give up the Richmond but your desire is taken to heart! I think it was Will that called it knife of the year!

Vaporstang

Much appreciated compliment! Thank you!!

Back