There has got to be an easier way!

I just tackled my first real flat grind on a piece of 1/4" stock.
What a chore (Yea I know OH whaaa).
I could use some suggestions on how to hog off some steel in a hurry and not screw up the end result. Make the flats wavy Etc.

------------------
RHankins Available knives
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=205453

Bob, I flat grind all of my blades. The few I hollow ground went more quickly but I didn't like the results as much. With flat grinding I try to use sharp belts and use a good bit of pressure on the blade. I use a round piece of wood that fits my hand nicely and grind a lip on the face of it for the blade to sit on. With the push stick I can push harder and not burn my fingers as much.

Overall, flat grinding is just less efficient. With hollow grinding you have the wheel moving the belt over the cutting surface (one friction creating surface), and with flat grinding you have the belt being pulled between two friction creating surfaces. I understand why some makers have gone to large diameter wheels; the looks of a flat grind without the added friction.

I have used an angle head grinder with the blank clamped up in a vise. Helluva noise and lots of sparks!!!! Takes away metal quick but you have to watch the heat anddont go too far. I usually use this method when making convex ground bowies and fighters.

Do you guys use a contact wheel to grind away most of the steel then finish it up on a platent for a flat grind?? I tried that on the first blade I did flat and it worked fine.

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

i flat or convex grind all of my knives. the methed i first is called vertical flat grinding. holding the knife by the handle i work it up and down agaaist the contact wheel until i get most of the vee grind and then finish up on the platen. this is not as hard on the belts. also i use norton ceramic 50 grit belts. happy grinding bob.

------------------
Laurence Segal www.RHINOKNIVES.com

Back