They are still out there (you just have to look)

As most of you know, I was into collecting Spyderco knives pretty heavy at one time. I still buy a few now and then but the rare ones that I like best are drying up day by day. I just wanted you to know that there are still some tough to find Spydies out there. Saturday I went to a local gun show and found a great Blanchard Police model with the eagle onlay on the handle. It was new in the Spydie pouch and priced right so I picked it up. Also, a couple of months ago me and a friend of mine picked up two of the first Workers ever made. I got #3 and he got #4. This was the find of a lifetime for me. Both are engraved and very cool looking.

Heres a couple of pics of the #3 Worker:
View

View

Today, the mailman brought me another surprise. My new carbon fiber Civilians and the new commemorative Worker. I hate to see the Worker discontinued because it is my favorite model. I have almost every variation ever made. I think I have about 10 Workers. The commemorative Worker is very nice and I want to thank Sal for making this one. I doubt I will ever use it, but it is so nice to look at.

Oh, I forgot, I also got a Lynx prototype this past weekend. It is going to be very difficult to not carry it. I love BG-42.

michael :D

Michael,

Nice to see that no matter how many fancy customs you have, deep down, you're still a spydie kinda guy!

Good luck with the new acquisitions.

recoil:)

Hmm... were those two early Workers on Ebay a few months ago? I think I saw them there. They were pretty amazing and you're certainly lucky to have one. I'd love to see some pics of it.

I'd really like to see some pictures of the Workers as well. Do any of you guys know how many handle variations the Worker has been made in?

As far as I know these variations of the worker were produced:

original stainless squared edges
stainless with rounded edges
stainless with kraton insert (damascus blade)
stainless with black-ti finish
aluminum with grey tuffram coating
aluminum/almite 2001 commemorative edition

These are just the material types I know of, there are lot's of embellished/engraved and aftermarket versions out there.

recoil

Thanks recoil. I hope michael is right, cause I would really like to see some more of these. So far I only have one Worker, tuffram aluminum, and I love it. I have also seen them in ss and pictures of the almite. Good to know there are lots to look forward to.

Hi Michael. BTW, those workers are genuine. I haven't had a chance to get the letters out to you yet. sorry, been very busy.

sal

Sal, if you are still looking at this thread, I wanted to say that the Worker was my next to last Spyderco aquisition. I bought one of the early plain edge, square, asymmetric scales, three-screw off of Ebay. As I said in a thread on the spydero.com forum, I still think that the original, asymmetric scale design was superior to the later, symmetric design.

I find that the Worker design is to this day, the most innovative and multi-purpose clip point blade I have ever seen, factory or handmade.

After that, I would say the the Cricket (and soon to be Meerkat) follows as another, totally unique and universally applicable blade shape followed by the Calypso Jr. series.

Thanks for the innovation.

NC Blades, there is a beautiful stag Spyderkey on Ebay right now. If I had the money, I would be right on it.

Architect, if you are still looking at this thread, have you got pics of your Worker? If you do, I'd love to see them.

Back