They just don't get it - a tale of a first world problem in the age of the pandemic..

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Houlahound, Jul 9, 2020.

1. SlideRacker

SlideRacker

Feb 23, 2020
    I try to keep things as light as possible with neighbors for this very reason. An occasional Hi or hand wave as they drive by is as far as I like to go. Only exception I ever made was my first house purchase. It was a new development. We all moved in around the same time so there was a sort of brotherly bond there. I’m still friendly with them to this day.

2. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    You might be right, I have a buddy with a collection of old Husqvarnas that’s always looking for something to cut up.

3. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I'm just glad a neighbor showed up with a chainsaw to help you Houla. My neighbors would have brought over chairs, opened some beers, and made sarcastic remarks about how wimpy I swing an axe and how long I was taking. Then they would have asked me if I had any beers in my fridge.

Nevertheless, I get what you're saying .. :p

4. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    I hear ya, I REALLY DO lol.
    But, I honestly think you would've been better off just to let the old fella have at it......
    But, then again, .....lol, I know how you feel bro!

Houlahound likes this.
  5. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt

Jun 23, 2007
    Next time, simply tell him "I have a chainsaw, but I was really looking forward to using some of my hand tools.... It is very rare in this day and age to be able to take advantage of my non powered toys. I intend to savor the work."

Houlahound and Eversion like this.
  6. Eversion

Eversion KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 9, 2020
    One day I decided to trim the trees in the front yard with a machete I never get to use. It was a very dusty, hazy, and sunny day in Arizona, so I also wore my black half balaclava face mask, (before face masks were as accepted in public as they are now) and my boonie hat.

Little did I consider that someone smacking around a machete in their front yard with a mask and military hat on would freak out the neighborhood kids passing by. Those kids stopped by much less frequently afterwards.

Rhinoknives1 and Houlahound like this.
  7. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    I don't understand people. I try and have as little interaction with people as possible.

shoegazer and Houlahound like this.
  8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Social distancing... :D Now you have an excuse for not being friendly.

Houlahound likes this.
  9. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    That old man was probably waiting years to use that chainsaw;)

Houlahound likes this.
  10. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    I've been socially distancing before it was even recognized as being a thing.

It's kinda funny. What we call social distancing today, was called child abuse when I was growing up.

You know, I almost said the exact same thing. Sometimes when folks are not only offering to help, but willing to bring their own equipment, they're really just looking for an excuse to try out their new toys.

Houlahound likes this.
  11. Jesse B.

Jesse B.

Oct 23, 2009
    Well, Paul Bunyan, I’d say it’s time to man up and buy that guy a Vermont teddy bear.

Rhinoknives1 and Houlahound like this.
  12. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I would have told him thanks, but I'm using the axe to get some exercise.

13. Monofletch

Monofletch Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    I had a neighbor that intruded on my property more than once. The first time I politely asked him to move his stuff. When he scoffed at me I moved it for him.