• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

They want to know why.

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
https://youtu.be/fitA1_rh8Z8
I'm not sure these were the right guys to make this video as they're mostly modern folder fans, but at least one of them is open to the idea.
Hopefully it will get some discussion started and maybe get some modern folder guys interested in traditionals .

I wouldn't say I'm strictly traditional ( there aren't a lot of knives I like though ) but the reason traditionals work for me is because I'm not a hard use knife guy, and don't miss the convince of speed.

I think it's funny that they raced to get their knife out of their pocket. Their mindset seems ridiculous to me. I can't remember a situation where I needed to have a knife in my hand to cut something immediately. My apple will wait. My sandwich will wait. The clam shell package can wait. I noticed that they never stopped to consider what they actually need a knife to do. They didn't answer the question: What task requires the specific materials and design of a modern folder? I'm convinced that for most people a knife is pocket jewelry that gets a little actual use here and there. Everyone has their preferences. I like the natural materials on a traditional. I like the compact size and very low weight, especially considering how much blade length you get for the weight of most traditionals. I like having a knife that doesn't draw unwanted attention. I also like slowing down for a few extra seconds to think about what I'm going to cut and how I need to cut it before going ahead to do it. If it takes 5 seconds instead of 3 seconds I think it'll be ok.

They don't begin to get it. They just keep returning to 'cheap' and 'nostalgic'. I don't get people who are supposed to represent knives et al who have no appreciation for anything but modern tactical style knives and lifestyle. They're not doing their company any favours given that BladeHQ sell plenty traditionals. Why didn't they get someone over 23 to represent traditionals and perhaps actually sell some?

Last edited:
My opinion of BladeHQ dropped the longer I watched. The ludicrous supposition of cleaning your fingernails at a concert only got worse, and continued to show, as stated by @Fanglekai they never stopped to consider what they actually need a knife to do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My opinion of BladeHQ dropped the longer I watched. The ludicrous supposition of cleaning your fingernails at a concert only got worse, and continued to show, as stated by @Fanglekai they never stopped to consider what they actually need a knife to do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This was my opinion as well.

When they got to the "race" they lost me totally. In 60 years of knife carrying, I've never had to quick draw my pocket knife. But unfortunately, these two (lack of a polite term) are too typical of the young modern knife buying public. Not a single skinny little clue!

Very depressing outlook for the future of knife buying.

This was my opinion as well.

When they got to the "race" they lost me totally. In 60 years of knife carrying, I've never had to quick draw my pocket knife. But unfortunately, these two (lack of a polite term) are too typical of the young modern knife buying public. Not a single skinny little clue!

Very depressing outlook for the future of knife buying.

I will watch later, but I would guess that a traditional fixed blade would be faster than the assisted blade they had.

But like you and others have stated. Who cares?

They don't begin to get it. They just keep returning to 'cheap' and 'nostalgic'. I don't get people who are supposed to represent knives et al who have no appreciation for anything but modern tactical style knives and lifestyle. They're not doing their company any favours given that BladeHQ sell plenty traditionals. Why didn't they get someone over 23 to represent traditionals and perhaps actually sell some?

I don't think they get classical music concerts either.

That was embarrassing to watch.

BladeHq is a business and if you look at there inventory it is probably 95% modern. That be said 95% of there inventory also has a huge mark up. That's were their money is, so that is were they focus, and were they market to.

In short, I'm embarrassed for them as it is obvious they have no clue, are winging it, and clearly have bias and stigma.

They should have hired out or interviewed someone other that pushing what they have in stock and dumb hats.

No I'm not a hipster or trend setting.

They totally missed the boat on traditional folders. For the points they made, they would have been better off comparing their tacticals to a traditional fixed blade, as the intended uses are quite similar.

The traditional folder did, and still does, have the primary purpose of allowing a person to carry a carry a knife, with far more discretion than a fixed blade will allow. A traditional folder also allows for a purpose specific pattern, possibly with multiple blades. It's also a canvas for an extraordinary amount of artistry, with a very unique aesthetic.

Don't get me wrong. I get tacticals. I don't normally carry them, but I do carry them when they fit a specific purpose for me. They're just not very comparable to traditional folders, especially in terms of artistry.

Hey friends. We appreciate the feedback on our video, and we're glad we started a conversation over here on BF as well. I'm 29 and started carrying knives "modern tactical style," clipped to my pocket. Call me a silly millennial, but I missed the traditional folder years completely and jumped straight to modern locking knives. I see this video as two millennials' attempt at better understanding traditional folders. Is it a perfect representation of the category? Absolutely not! Should we have brought on a "professional" in traditional folders? Perhaps. (Any volunteers in Utah?) Did it introduce a new class of consumer to the traditional pocket knife? I think so. In fact, Austin bought a Gerber 39 after we made this video. Drank his own Kool-aid!

Let me pose this question to the group: how would you help a group of consumers that typically buy one type of product (modern folders) to consider buying a different kind of product (traditional folders)?

Cheers,

Ben

Let me pose this question to the group: how would you help a group of consumers that typically buy one type of product (modern folders) to consider buying a different kind of product (traditional folders)?

Cheers,

Ben

Easy. You interview someone who is passionate about the subject, someone who knows all the cool history and interesting tidbits that go along with traditionals. You show the build quality and craftsmanship that goes into the better brands. Same as any other item.

This needs to be moved.

Until then,

First, show respect for the consumer who buys this type
of knife and not lump them all into a hipster category with pop up beards. That's just insulting.

It is not an age thing. I'm 36 and there are several here young than your 29 yrs. It is a mindset and culture built on respect, character, history, friendship, and simple values. Research the culture before stereotyping it

Last edited:
Easy. You interview someone who is passionate about the subject, someone who knows all the cool history and interesting tidbits that go along with traditionals. You show the build quality and craftsmanship that goes into the better brands. Same as any other item.

Would you like to join us for Knife Banter one day? It appears you're pretty active in the Traditionals division. Let me know if you're available at Blade or passing through Utah; we'd love to tape with you.

Hey friends. We appreciate the feedback on our video, and we're glad we started a conversation over here on BF as well. I'm 29 and started carrying knives "modern tactical style," clipped to my pocket. Call me a silly millennial, but I missed the traditional folder years completely and jumped straight to modern locking knives. I see this video as two millennials' attempt at better understanding traditional folders. Is it a perfect representation of the category? Absolutely not! Should we have brought on a "professional" in traditional folders? Perhaps. (Any volunteers in Utah?) Did it introduce a new class of consumer to the traditional pocket knife? I think so. In fact, Austin bought a Gerber 39 after we made this video. Drank his own Kool-aid!

Cheers,

Ben

With the responses to your video so far, I am now convinced that you guys should get some fellas off the porch and do a video of them explaining the merits of the modern tactical folder. That would be entertaining!

I thought the video was fun (and, yes, a little face-palm worthy) and effective in positing the notion of carrying a "traditional" knife to people who normally wouldn't consider it.

Would you like to join us for Knife Banter one day? It appears you're pretty active in the Traditionals division. Let me know if you're available at Blade or passing through Utah; we'd love to tape with you.

Haha - no, but thanks for the offer! There are easily a couple dozen folks here who could do a tremendous job at that though. I'm just a relative noob to traditionals with an ever growing appreciation for them.

I think it's funny that they raced to get their knife out of their pocket. Their mindset seems ridiculous to me. I can't remember a situation where I needed to have a knife in my hand to cut something immediately. My apple will wait. My sandwich will wait. The clam shell package can wait. I noticed that they never stopped to consider what they actually need a knife to do.

This! That goofy race caught my eye immediately. :rolleyes: I'm more into reality-based knife carry and use.

-- Mark

With the responses to your video so far, I am now convinced that you guys should get some fellas off the porch and do a video of them explaining the merits of the modern tactical folder. That would be entertaining!

That would be super entertaining! We're gonna' need two fellas, a porch and a looonnng afternoon.

I didn't watch the video but.....

There's only so many titanium slab flippers to buy.

There's only so many carbon fiber slab flippers to buy.

There's only so many modern folders with blade styles, sizes, and colors with frn or g10 scales to buy.

The amount of diversity in traditional knives over the past 120yrs is so large that it would be very hard to have examples of them all although some collectors seem to be close. Two traditional knives that were made back to back off the production line will have their own character. This would be a detriment in a modern folder but the character is embraced in the traditional world. Anyone who carries a ZT0452cf, CRK sebenza, BM940-2, etc may be pleasantly surprised how much they like traditionals if they would try one for a week. It may open a new(heh) and much larger world of possiblilites.

Someone more eloquent will be able to explain it much better.

Personally, I carry both a modern flipper and a traditional in my pockets everyday. I use the traditional way more than the flipper as its so much more tactilely (not tactically) satisfying in every way. Also, I take a backpack into work which holds a SAK Ranger and larger camper fixed blade because I'm a knife nut.

That would be super entertaining! We're gonna' need two fellas, a porch and a looonnng afternoon.

Careful, some may think you are still stereotyping and at this point only mocking a group of people.

Why don't you try again? Explain to us why some people carry a folder such as these, why one would be interested, and what there is to enjoy in this type of knife.

Has the topic changed to entertainment now?

Last edited:
Why don't you try again? Explain to us why some people carry a folder such as these, why one would be interested, and what there is to enjoy in this time of knife.

We probably will do another traditional folder video in June-ish. Want to join us on it at Blade? I'm still looking for a taker...

As for stereotyping: marketing is an interesting field when it comes to political correctness and stereotyping. In many ways, everything we do to market a product to an individual is based on a stereotype. Marketing exclusively to men isn't politically correct, but it sells certain products, just like marketing to women sells certain products. Marketing to a male in Tennessee will often take a different form than marketing to a male in California. It's tricky business in e-commerce with a worldwide audience and I know we're never going to please everyone. C'est la vie, I suppose.

As for entertainment: I think of it as "infotainment." Attention spans with video are at an all-time low. Gotta' keep it fresh. Thanks for the questions and feedback! -Ben

Back