Recommendation? Thick long blade sharpening system.

Ive done some forum searching but with a word combo that big I can't find any old posts covering this.

I just bought a Respect Bowie (7.9 inch blade .3 thick) it's the first "real" knife I've ever bought, I want to get a sharpening system to maintain it because I do not trust myself free hand with something so expensive.

I've looked into the cheap Lanksy and others but the length seems like it will be an issue and the full flat grind will mess with how it clamps.

I'm not a knife nerd..yet, so I could be wrong about a lot of this but what system could I get to accommodate such a knife?

ken onion worksharp? I think it's called.
Looks pretty cool, I might consider that although I do want some hand holding in my journey into knife sharpening,I know all to well from my experience with a dremel that power tools, fine work, and me do not mix. I'd like it to be human powered if possible haha.

Just learn the difference between reprofiling, sharpening and honing. That's a good place to start. If you wanna keep a working edge sharp, use a strope and stones. If you've rolled it or chipped it, use a power sharpener and work down the grits into the stones and finish with a strope. etc. You'll get it. But for large blades where a pivoting sharpening system can't really be used, guided sharpeners or belt sharpening is usally the way to go in ,my opinion. My worksharp handles all my knives and mine are all over a thousand bucks, so that remains my recommendation. Good luck

Hapstone M7 or Edge Pro. Both will do a blade that long. You will need to move the blade across the table. Sharpening a blade that long, in two or three sections, will give better results than trying to sharpen it all in one pass. Practice on a cheep chefs knife, before doing an expensive knife. Edge pro has some good instruction videos on their site. I recommend watching them.

O.B.

Back