Thicker SAKs' vs Thinner SAKs'

Just wondering if you guys preferred the thicker Swiss Army Knives with more tools, or the slimmer Swiss Army Knives with less tools but they are more comfortable to carry. Personally I like the thinner one's (tinker, spartan, etc.) compared to some of the thicker models (swiss champ, explorer, cybertool, etc.) They are much more comfortable to carry, feel better in my hand, and are easier to clean. (and their less expensive too ;) )

Victorinox_SwissChamp_biggest_SwissArmyKnife_dsc_0512-480x321.jpg

vs.

victorinoxspartan.jpg

Let me know what you guys think about this.

- b4b

For me it all depends on what I am expecting from my day. I always have a Rambler with me, which packs a lot of features into a small package. It pairs well with pretty much any bigger SAK or SwissTool. During the work week I have CyberTool 41 in my bag, and in the evening and on the weekends it's alox (Pioneer or Farmer), custom Swiss Bianco OH Locksmith with Damascus blade, or SwissTool.

I pretty much never go thicker than a Soldier. At MOST a Farmer. If I go thicker than that, it weighs too heavily in my pocket, even jeans, IMO. If I'm going to carry something that bulky, I'll carry it in a pouch on my belt, and it will be a Wave. What I DO end up doing is carrying several small(er) SAK's to have what I want, yet minimize the bulk. I find that easier, less bulky. So, for example, today I'm carrying a Soldier, an alox Classic, and a Waiter (with micro-screwdriver added). Works better for me, plus I have more knife blades that, I believe, any one SAK.

Office, it's a Cadet. Casual it's usually a Climber or Pioneer.

3 layers is the max I can comfortably carry, since I don't like wearing a sheath in my daily carry.

I went to the extreme and recently bought a Cybertool 41 (every tool I would want, and nothing I wouldn't use, and no duplicate tools) which I belt carry with my work uniform.

That said I agree I don't really pocket carry it when I'm off work, but if I'm working on a project I will again belt carry it.

I'm also toying at the idea of a Bantam (Alox but can't find one) or a Compact (modified for awl and phillips instead of the hook and corkscrew) so that they disappear into a pocket.

The thickest I'll ever go is my Huntsman, I much prefer thinner SAKs. Even something like a Recruit has more than enough function for everyday tasks.

I like 2 or 3 layer SAK's, e.g. Soldier or Tinker. The Farmer is probably my favorite SAK model, but I find that I'm reaching for the simple Soldier more than ever.

I'd really like to see a 2 layer SAK with a large blade, scissors, large driver (bottle opener), awl, & Phillips driver. I'm thinking "Urban Climber".

I like the two layer ones best. Maybe three, at the most. Anything larger and I'd druther go with a Leatherman.

I'd really like to see a 2 layer SAK with a large blade, scissors, large driver (bottle opener), awl, & Phillips driver. I'm thinking "Urban Climber".

See my post 2 above, Syph007 can do the mod. Compact modded out corkscrew and hook for phillips and awl! Interesting you were envisioning a model with the exact same tools I was.

The biggest I go is a Camper or Super Tinker. I prefer the Tinker on a daily basis though.

I like to pocket carry, so I prefer 3 layers or less. I like the super tinker and tinker and just picked up the hiker which, without the parcel hook, is a little thinner. I've thought about the fieldmaster, but it's probably too bulky for my usual needs.
P9150007.jpg

I like 2 or 3 layer SAK's, e.g. Soldier or Tinker. The Farmer is probably my favorite SAK model, but I find that I'm reaching for the simple Soldier more than ever.

See my post 2 above, Syph007 can do the mod. Compact modded out corkscrew and hook for phillips and awl! Interesting you were envisioning a model with the exact same tools I was.
I too thought about that same knife. Don't know why they haven't come out with it yet. :confused:

Thickest I have is the Alox Farmer and that's as thick as I go with SAKs. I won't even carry that around town in a pocket, but when hiking/camping it's perfect.

Around town I go thin: Bantam Alox (until a car seat ate it) or Cadet.

Have a Pioneer Alox, but don't carry it b/c extra length versus Cadet is always making it feel like a nuisance in my pocket. And don't carry it in the woods b/c might as well have the Farmer along for not much more weight and thickness. So there are some considerations with regard to what size SAK to pick.

For what it's worth, a general comment on less is more:
The more you can convince yourself to pare down without compromising necessary capability, be it with size of pocket knives, number of knives you own or carry, number of paraphernalia on your person, the happier you will be -- GENERALLY SPEAKING.

That has been my experience.

I love my alox cadet and like my Wenger Highlander, anything bigger feels huge in the pocket. I carry a Climber in my backpack.

I preferred the thicker SAK and always have the Ranger on me or in my bag and was I glad this morning when I found myself locked out of my office because of a defective door handle, the metal file came to the rescue!

My most carried SAKs over the past 30 years, have been my Mauser Officers Knife (Victorinox), Victorinox Hunter, and Wenger World Scout Knife. I've owned Swiss Champs twice, as well as the Wenger Major, and didn't like them. I'm currently after Alox Cadets and Bantams, and also finally getting round to buying another Compact. So I guess 3 layers is the limit for me, and 'less is more'. What I really don't like is carrying tools that don't get used - even if it's only the parcel-hook.

I'm relatively new to SAK's. I've had a few chinese rip offs here and there, I got a real SAK Classic about a year ago its been on my keys and I've used it a fair bit. I recently got an Executive, I'm waiting for the mail man to give it to me though. I've used cadets and soldiers before but never owned any and so far I prefer the smaller blades and thinner knives.

I'm a big fan of the Cadet for edc. I think that the tool selection for the thickness and weight is remarkable. It sits very comfortably in the pocket.

Back