Thin CPM3V chopper

wroughndt

Platinum Member
A couple of days ago I bought a knife here off of the forums from a custom maker. While I am waiting for it to arrive I wondered if anyone has a similair knife and if so, how does it do in the chopping department? The one I ordered has a 7 inch long, .140 thick blade that is flat ground with a convex edge. I know that should add up well but the thin blade makes me wonder a little. Do any of you guys have anything like it? Any comments on big knives in CPM3V would be appreciated as well. Thanks, Wroughndt.

Ochs Sherworx is what came to mind. I like his Recon Tiger Makhaira blade.

Just in case you fancy it tad THICKER...Dan Keffeler is the man to go.
vglj5v.jpg

352fzw4.jpg

* pics from d2eux

Ochs Sherworx is what came to mind. I like his Recon Tiger Makhaira blade.

Just in case you fancy it tad THICKER...Dan Keffeler is the man to go.
vglj5v.jpg

352fzw4.jpg

* pics from d2eux

WHAT IS THE THICKNESS ON THAT BLADE?!?!??!?!?!

I mean the busse next to it looks like its 1/4" or so

That's a tad thicker than mine ;) Have you chopped with that thing?

CPM 3V is a very tough steel, one of the toughest.

I think you will find the .140" thick steel to work well in a 7" blade.

That said, I don't expect that knife to be big/heavy enough to be an efficient chopper.

Big Mike

Thank you Big Mike. I plan on using it as an all around woods knife and will chop with it from time to time. It comes in today so if I get a little chopping in I will post the results.

Alright, so I got the knife today and it is sweet! Much better than I expected. It was also a much thinner grind than I expected. It was so thin in fact that I didn't want to chop with it. I emailed the maker (Chris Berry of Big Chris custom knives) and asked him if he would reccomend chopping with it. He told me that It would be just fine. (paraphrasing) long story short, Big Mike and Big Chris were right. It doesn't have the weight to be a real effecient chopper but it chopped just fine. I still can't believe an edge that thin is holding together while I chop wood with it. I am in awe of this knife. I am officially a 3V believer! So much in fact that I'm gonna have Chris make me a chopper out of it :) If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks again to Big Chris custom knives for being so freindly and helpful in answering my amateur questions.

Back