Things are maybe looking up...

...for us Canadians. Benchmade appears to be sending us AO knives up here now, as a major Vancouver B.C. cutlery website has an announcement that they will be carrying several models. They were off the menu since early '18, if I recall.

Now, even though it probably won't interest most, but maybe-just maybe the powers that be "at our border" are now loosening their vise like grip on what they are allowing into the country. A good direction I reckon.

I was happy to see this too... maybe my dream of a Emissary will come true. I’m looking at the 495 or Mini-Boost in the meantime. I always felt left out when people complained about assisted opening and wanted to disable them.

...for us Canadians. Benchmade appears to be sending us AO knives up here now, as a major Vancouver B.C. cutlery website has an announcement that they will be carrying several models. They were off the menu since early '18, if I recall.

Now, even though it probably won't interest most, but maybe-just maybe the powers that be "at our border" are now loosening their vise like grip on what they are allowing into the country. A good direction I reckon.
Just bought a 477-1 and am eagerly waiting for it. I was very close to getting an Arcane, man that's a beautiful looking knife and exactly what I'm looking for, but I don't want S90V. Too much of a pain to sharpen and I don't want to risk sending it to BM and dealing with the border.

Nice. I would love to get an Emissary, but I just recently bought a 737 Aileron for dirt cheap (well a few dollars less than what they were selling for) from the same place. I may have to wait awhile since I recently retired and if I buy another knife this soon, well I don't have to tell you what may happen.

Nice. I would love to get an Emissary, but I just recently bought a 737 Aileron for dirt cheap (well a few dollars less than what they were selling for) from the same place. I may have to wait awhile since I recently retired and if I buy another knife this soon, well I don't have to tell you what may happen.
How do you like the Aileron? I saw that for sale too but can’t say that knife appealed to me much.

I probably shouldn’t have bought the Emissary, I am watching my purchases with the vast economic uncertainty right now, but I haven’t bought a new knife in a while and I have wanted the 477-1 for a few years. I was excited to see the autos finally being offered and was going to get a mini-Boost to see if I even liked them, but figured why not get what I really want. It should come today, we’ll see if I like it or not. Either way, no new knives for me for a while.

Congratulations on retiring, I know a few people that retired recently and this is a weird time.

The Aileron is one of the most ergonomic knives I've ever tried. The action and F&F is stellar. Perfectly balanced, as good as the 940-2. The "rough bits" at the top are a bit weird but they don't seem to hinder anything, however, I don't use my pocket knives for food prep anyway. If "tactical" knives are your thing, I would imagine it would shine as well. However, if you have rather large hands, the handle may be a bit cramped. It does fit my medium/large hands (with short stubby fingers) and locks in like the proverbial glove.

I was going to buy the new Mini-Presidio 2, but for the same price went for the 737 and am glad that I did. Right up there with my 908 that I got for a give away price last year at the same place. I always check to see what they have for a discontinue price and have got a few "cheap" priced gems the last couple of years.

The Aileron is one of the most ergonomic knives I've ever tried. The action and F&F is stellar. Perfectly balanced, as good as the 940-2. The "rough bits" at the top are a bit weird but they don't seem to hinder anything, however, I don't use my pocket knives for food prep anyway. If "tactical" knives are your thing, I would imagine it would shine as well. However, if you have rather large hands, the handle may be a bit cramped. It does fit my medium/large hands (with short stubby fingers) and locks in like the proverbial glove.

I was going to buy the new Mini-Presidio 2, but for the same price went for the 737 and am glad that I did. Right up there with my 908 that I got for a give away price last year at the same place. I always check to see what they have for a discontinue price and have got a few "cheap" priced gems the last couple of years.

Good to hear because when I first saw the Aileron and the strange blade grip I didn't give it a second look. I've also picked up some good deals from that website and am always happy with the service.

My 477-1 arrived yesterday - I thought I'd have to wait until Monday but I guess Sunday deliveries are the norm to keep up the volume. Fit and finish are perfect but it needed a stropping. First thought was the colour of the scales were not what I expected, but they looked different in all the online picture/videos so I had no idea if they would be a bright aquamarine or a more subdued gray colour (thankfully they are the latter). The blade tip is thinner than I thought and I'm not quite sold on the handle ergonomics yet, but I'll have to judge when it gets some use. Definitely more tactical than I want for my uses and tastes but it is a really nice knife.

My first assisted BM and I really like it so far, but I guess I can see why people want to de-assist some knives because while it is novel and fun you don't have the same control opening or closing. This thing has a strong assist and it jumps out with a healthy thwack sound, it's pretty cool. I can see why they included the safety option.

The only AO Benchmade I have is a 580 Barrage that I bought (dirt cheap) from a guy at work. He is a meat-cutter same as me (at least I used to be, now I am retired) and he tried to sharpen it with some sort of powered sharpener at his last store. Looked as if he sharpened it with a chainsaw, the scratches were so bad.

I intended on sending it to BM for a spruce-up and a reblade, but after the nonsense with the CBSA, BM didn't recommend me sending it in. I have taken it apart several times and de-assisted/re-assisted a couple. My OCD will not allow it to remain "broken" so it remains as it was from the factory. The scratched blade seems to be ok so just an aesthetic thing and it works flawlessly.

It was a very smooth operating knife without the spring, but since I have far too many Benchmade knives as it is, I'd rather the 580 stays an AO knife. However, if the knife fairies leave me a wad-O-cash one night, then I'll pick up that Emissary.

ix9cSU2.jpg

Here's the 737
Xl0fchF.jpg

The only AO Benchmade I have is a 580 Barrage that I bought (dirt cheap) from a guy at work. He is a meat-cutter same as me (at least I used to be, now I am retired) and he tried to sharpen it with some sort of powered sharpener at his last store. Looked as if he sharpened it with a chainsaw, the scratches were so bad.

I intended on sending it to BM for a spruce-up and a reblade, but after the nonsense with the CBSA, BM didn't recommend me sending it in. I have taken it apart several times and de-assisted/re-assisted a couple. My OCD will not allow it to remain "broken" so it remains as it was from the factory. The scratched blade seems to be ok so just an aesthetic thing and it works flawlessly.

It was a very smooth operating knife without the spring, but since I have far too many Benchmade knives as it is, I'd rather the 580 stays an AO knife. However, if the knife fairies leave me a wad-O-cash one night, then I'll pick up that Emissary.

ix9cSU2.jpg

Here's the 737
Xl0fchF.jpg
What is the 737?

Back