Things that hurt.....

jerry, we have already heard that story 10 or 20 times.....What really hurts is seeing my friend make a knife that made him grind the skin on his thumb off.....boo hoo..
frown.gif

How about the time I was casually shutting a very pointed freshly sharpened Texas Toothpick on my flank, did you ever try to put a pressure dressing on your butt? By the time I got one there I had pants, sock and boot with an admirable quantity of red mess to clean up, or how about the time I caught a 10" bowie off the buffing wheel with my stomach,6" scar, or how about the time a red wasp flew up my pants leg while I was straightening blades and I glanced off the anvil with a 6# hammer hitting myself in the knee, during the fall I managed to pull the anvil over on my other leg, I said to hell with it and shut down for the day!

Ted

OUCH ted...have you ever taken one of those job apptitude tests to see what you are best designed to do for a living?

I have bumped the side of a round sanding disk a few times. You don't even know it cut you until you notice it 20 minutes later. the skin is split and cauterized at the same time. Of course, as soon as I look at it the pain starts and the tears well up...

A friend, Dan Stephan, told me he was buffing a 6 inch fixed blade, hit the buffer wrong, and felt a bump. It took him a few moments to realize all six inches went into his belly. Luckily, he is amply insulated.

------------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell

How about a cut by the edge of a 400 grit belt on the 2 x 72 grinder? It's like a papercut from hell...

Once when I was talking to Jim Hrisoulas at a show, he sail that when he was forge welding, he had a hot piece of slag fly up his nose! Yeowch!

------------------
Glen AKA Centaur
"I'll be your Huckleberry."
- Doc Holiday

Here's a good, well not so good one for ya.
Oh yeah, before you guys say it, I realize it was a STUPID thing to do.

Reaching to pick up a piece of steel laying on the bandsaw(still running) table that I just cut off of a bar of ATS-34. The saw blade caught my thumb and pulled it right into the hole that the blade goes thru. It was sawing it's way up the length of my thumb while it was pulling my thumb deeper into the hole. The only thing I could think of was to yank my hand away real hard. That yank saved my thumb.

It was not as bad as it looked but it opened my eyes and forced me to think before I ever reach in.

------------------
Barry
Jones Knives
"NEW Knives"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=126319&a=5922856
"For DUTY and HUMANITY!"
Curly, Moe, & Larry

Sorry no knife making related horror stories (not yet,anyway
smile.gif
) but during my days as a mechanic I got my fair share of dings, including two free trips to the hospital in the meat wagon. Once I was removing 1" laminated oak flooring from a semi trailer using a skill saw. You're on your knees making cross cuts between the steel ibeams supporting the flooring. Then you bust out the floor with a sledge hammer. Anyway, as I was cutting, the skill saw bucked up and unfortunately the guard was stuck in the up position and the skill walked back and sliced my knee open. Fortunately it missed my knee cap but it left a large gash in my leg, causing the lead man to make sexual advances towards my leg.
eek.gif

Another time, during the winter it was a might chilly in this huge shop (North American Van Lines) so I had a t shirt and a sweater on under my shop uniform. I was lying under a trailer on a creeper using a cutting torch to remove some shock mounts. I also had on a pair of leather sleeves. I cut off a piece of metal about the size of a quarter. The cherry red hunk fell on my chest, right at the edge of my leather sleeves,then bounced on my shirt. It burned through my shirt, my sweater, and my t shirt and commenced to eat its way through my body. I made a little twisting motion and the piece of slag slid around my body and burn through my t shirt, sweater and outer shirt and fell on the creeper, still red hot. I have a nice scar from that experience.

When I was working for Detroit Diesel, there was this friend of mine who got in a fight with a diesel engine and lost. When you set the rpm on a Detroit with a turbo, you have to remove the pipes from the turbo so you can get at the governer. Everone made their own screen to put over the turbo, then fastened it with a large hose clamp. Unfortunately, while my friend was intently watching the digital tach he didn't notice that his screen over the turbo had vibrated loose and fell off. It sucked his hand in, took off two fingers, and mangled a third.

And then there was the guy who got cut in half in a shop in Montana where I worked when he forgot to block open the "door" on an earthmover and a hydraulic hose burst...the effect was kinda like a guillotine.
eek.gif

And now you know why I became an academic.
wink.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

how about stupidly holding onto a gut hook skinning knife with the gut hook facing my palm and grinding the tang flat , trusting the already loose work rest , with a fresh belt wizzing , needless to say i touched the belt , the belt grabbed the tang , pulling it under the work rest , thus gut hooking right from the middle of my palm all the way to the middle knuckel of my index finger....gut hook works!!
eek.gif

------------------
i keep grinding and grinding and it is still too short!!

I have never hurt myself...not even once!!! are all of you guys from florida or what??
smile.gif

Well, I'll use Wayne Goddard's quote "anything that goes cut" to include this story in this post.

There's a guy that works out with us at the gym when he's in town that was working on the Alaska pipeline when he was 18. He was at the bottom of a hill that had 3 sections of pipe laying in line on it, something like 15-20" in diameter and 60' long , waiting to be welded and buried.

The one at the top got loose, barreled down the hill and had a tubed gillotine affect on him. One guy handed him his hand, and two others used his sweatshirt to keep his guts pushed up inside his body cavity.

The air-lift jerk said he was as good as dead and refused to pick him up. The next station over had a little more optimistic pilot.

This man is one of like 3 people to ever survive after their hips being sliced in half.

He now bench presses 300 lb. and can squat more with that one leg than most men could only dream about doing with two.

Gruesome.

It wasn't a knife, but it sure as hell went cut.

Nick

Hey Tom, I took the test, it definitely said I was "cut out" to be a knifemaker. Could have told you about the time we had the old band saw jacked up to do friction cutting!Even With leather apron, welding gloves,leather jacket, hearing protection, face mask, etc, when one of those 1/2" blades snaped it drove me to my knees. I wasnt cut, but I got one of the damdest slapping arounds I ever had, right up there with falling off a motorcycle at 45mph. We cranked the RPM back down!

Ted

hey ted,
you from west fork ey?
i have a rriend that lives there.i live in springdale(as you can see by my info).i just love ag russell,if you havent been there yet....what are you waiting for?!?
MAURICE

Hello Maurice, have been to the Russell shop on many occasions.. My favorite part of the whole Russell "Sheebang" is the "Cutting Edge"

Ted

Back