Think leatherman warranty will cover it?

As lots of people have heard, Harvey absolutely wrecked Corpus Christi. In preparation for the storm, I used my OHT for a lot of heavy duty work. I cut down lots of tree branches using the saw (teeth are still as good as new, branches were about 2-3 inches thick). Tightened up screws, cut lots of tape, etc etc. However, I now have a lot of vertical play in most of my tools. It's not horizontal so I can't just tighten the screws down, So after this hurricane finally blows over I think I'm going to try to send it in for warranty. Also, the black oxide coating is atrocious. Ruined pockets and hands for a couple of days, would I be able to request the same tool in a different color?

Its always worth sending them a polite note describing the situation. They may choose to do a re-firb, it is their choice after all. But I think that you'll be looked after.

LM has ridiculously amazing customer service! I've heard of guys finding old rusted out MTs. Send them in and 2 weeks later bam! A new tool.

Tim Leatherman has Said before that the 25 year warranty was more of an idea than a rule. They'll take good care of you. I would bet long past 25 years!

In 2014 they replaced my old Charge, that I got in 2006. Reason: broken tip on knife blade. Got a brand new Charge TTi s30v in return. So instead of wonder if they will replace it, ask them. They peobably will.

As lots of people have heard, Harvey absolutely wrecked Corpus Christi. In preparation for the storm, I used my OHT for a lot of heavy duty work. I cut down lots of tree branches using the saw (teeth are still as good as new, branches were about 2-3 inches thick). Tightened up screws, cut lots of tape, etc etc. However, I now have a lot of vertical play in most of my tools. It's not horizontal so I can't just tighten the screws down, So after this hurricane finally blows over I think I'm going to try to send it in for warranty. Also, the black oxide coating is atrocious. Ruined pockets and hands for a couple of days, would I be able to request the same tool in a different color?

You might also let them know the stress on your Leatherman was from Corpus Christi storm prep. They might also be more inclined to accommodate you (probably would regardless) and could use it as an anecdote for use in a promotional materials. Manufacturers like to learn that their products "saved the situation" in emergencies. It's good promotion for them.

You might also let them know the stress on your Leatherman was from Corpus Christi storm prep. They might also be more inclined to accommodate you (probably would regardless) and could use it as an anecdote for use in a promotional materials. Manufacturers like to learn that their products "saved the situation" in emergencies. It's good promotion for them.
OP this guy has a point! LM only knows how to chew bubble gum and kick ass!...... And they're all out of bubble gum!

Thanks everyone! As soon as everything is cleared up down here I'll mail it off to them and include a polite note. We got lucky and the storm didn't hit us directly, but still 200,000 without power and trees/branches everywhere.

I have only had to use the Leatherman warranty once. I was using it in probably an unintended way, and broke part of one side of the pliers on a Super Tool 200 on emergency call a few years ago (I'm Career FF/Paramedic). I needed to loosen a collar on a main water intake for the fire engine so I could rotate and allow me to get water on a fire. There's usually a small handle attached for leverage, but it can vibrate loose and back out of the threads that hold it in. I used the pliers to grab on in its place, and broke one side, knowing that I might have to pay to repair or replace it. It wasn't exactly the "right tool" for the job, but it was the one I had "right now."

I sent them an email asking how much it would cost to repair it, as I felt at least partially responsible. They said to ship it to them, and they'd take a look at it. I didn't hear anything for a week or so after they'd gotten it, and I was starting to wonder about it so I contacted them. They gave me the tracking number of the replacement tool that was already on its way to my house. A few days later a brand new tool showed up without a single further question asked, or any cost to me (other than shipping original tool in.)

So, I continue to buy their tools for my own use, and as gifts for others. I am quite sure they've gotten their money back (and more) since taking care of me. So, while I encourage people to use their tools appropriately, and not take undue advantage of their warranty, they do stand squarely behind their products.

Good luck, and keep supporting a good business that takes good care of its customers.

I can't imagine they won't take care of you if you give them a call. It doesn't sound like you abused it to me and this should fall within normal useage.

I'd shoot them an email and see. I cut an arc down the side of my Surge's jaws when I hit a hot 115 volt wire (check your breakers, kids). It would barely open due to the cut. They sent me a new one even after I asked how much it would cost to repair it.

LM is a company that has stellar customer service - I will always be loyal to their products ... just as they are always loyal to their customers!

LM is a company that has stellar customer service - I will always be loyal to their products ... just as they are always loyal to their customers!

LM's customer service is what keeps me coming back. There are a lot of great tool manufacturers out there, but LM has always offered me a fantastic product at a fair price that actually lasts when used hard.

I'm just waiting for them to release a tool like the MUT or Signal without a combo edge blade. Love a chunky tool with a pocket clip and bottle opener and a one hand blade.

Back