1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Thinking about a Custom Shop HOFSH???

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by infocus2006, May 2, 2012.

1. infocus2006

infocus2006

Feb 18, 2012
    I am thinking of having the Custom Shop make me a HOFSH Satin blade but i can't decide what i want in a handle. Feel free to add pics or just opinions on what you would choose in a handle or if you prefer another style FSH and why. Any help with this would be greatly, appreciated! Thanks!!!

2. <Flux>

<Flux>

Apr 28, 2011
    Hand-Shaped Tigerhide!!! Can you order me one too?

3. infocus2006

infocus2006

Feb 18, 2012
    I would brother but the only reason i am getting one is that i have a Large Store Credit and it is burning a whole in my pocket! I would love to see some pics of one with tigerhide.... Hopefully someone will help me out.

4. infocus2006

infocus2006

Feb 18, 2012
    Can anyone explain what "Competition Finish" is and does anyone have any pics of it? Thanks!

5. Volk

Volk

Sep 18, 2007
    My favorite has always been black and tan g10. If I was getting something from the customer shop, I'd go for personalized blade shape.

6. infocus2006

infocus2006

Feb 18, 2012
    What do mean by personalized blade shape? I am new to the Custom Shop options and features.

7. Volk

Volk

Sep 18, 2007
    You do know you can order a complete custom knife to your specifications, design and liking? I mean it will take bit to make, it will cost some, but it will be exactly what you want. Or you can request a particular grind or slight alteration to existing blade. Your wallet is gonna hate me for this info.

8. infocus2006

infocus2006

Feb 18, 2012
    I asked them if it would be possible to get it NMHOFSH Satin with flat grind. Waiting for a response now. I would like to see some custom FSH's with custom blade designs and features. i haven't found a lot online. Thanks for the info. I am hoping to pay for all this will a large store credit i have and not spend any out of my pocket.

9. infocus2006

infocus2006

Feb 18, 2012
    First Bump

10. upsidedownviking

upsidedownviking

Aug 22, 2009
    Heres mine from the AK show, it's 0.27" thick, as far as custom it's slightly recurved, hand shaped handles with solid fasteners and has a sharpened swage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictured with 0.27" NMFBM

11. upsidedownviking

upsidedownviking

Aug 22, 2009
    Don't have a good pic of mine, but searching for 'comp' or 'SARsquatch' should bring up some pics in the forum. It tends to have dimples in the steel of the flats where it hasn't been surface ground to smooth, bevels and edges look satin because they are ground down past the dimples that I think are formed in heat treat.

The comp SARsquatch is one of my favorites, new it looked old and no nonsense, it's more of a patina or antique look, some have problems with rust with theirs.

12. darkaether

darkaether KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 23, 2006
    they aren't doing it that way anymore. Look at Knifehunter's BWM pic on the exchange. It is doublecut with dimples. very nice

13. Sharp Knives 86

Sharp Knives 86 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Forgive my ignorance but does Busse do custom work? I wouldn't mind having an original Team Gemini made if that were possible? How much would a Custom Shop TG cost?

14. Beariver

Beariver Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Hand shaped tigerhide would be awesome. My FSH has hand shaped black canvas micarta and I really like it a lot; Some pics;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. fbusmc

fbusmc Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2008
    The first two pics are actual HOFSH with very thick blades .30-.320
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these are Heavy Heart versions with the saber grind .27-.28
    [​IMG]
    and these are basic .25 thick ones
    [​IMG]
    The neat one in the middle I think is called a Fusion Fury?? got it two knob creeks ago, it is sweet, and very thick
    [​IMG]

16. Al-Sheikh

Al-Sheikh

Aug 22, 2010
    I personally prefer the saber grind of the HHFSH over the full flat grind of the HOFSH. If it was my choice I'd ask if the custom shop could make ironwood or snakewood scales. I love those materials, but you don't find them often on busses. If the custom shop refuses, I'd go for tigerhide micarta. A sharpened top swedge like the one in upsidedownviking's pic comes in handy for heavy duty activities when you want to preserve the main edge (chopping through bones, striking fire rods, ...)

17. FTR-14c

FTR-14c Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2011
    fbusmc,
    That is a sweet collection, thanks for the pics. Jungle Sandstorm: seventh one up and Desert Sandstorm: forth one up,
    look great on mags.

18. infocus2006

infocus2006

Feb 18, 2012
    What is the handle on the Fusion Fury? I like it a lot! And the handle on the fsh below the red black black blade?

19. infocus2006

infocus2006

Feb 18, 2012
    Awesome knives folks! Does anyone have a favorite of the FSH? HOFSH, HHFSH, etc.... and what makes it better IYO? Is the thicker .30's better than the .27's? Also, i would like to see this tiger hide i keep hearing about. I appreciate all who have replied! I just want to pick the perfect knife!

20. dinokay

dinokay Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 9, 2007
    If you can get them to make you the shape they offered years ago on the HOFSHLE that would be the way to go IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]