Thinking about a Pacific, does the coating stand up?

So for some reason they coat the s35vn on this sucker and I'm wondering if you use it on cardboard and wood does the coating scuff a lot? I know it won't scuff bear metal! Also would it be worth getting the reeve's leather sheath or buy my own bowie sheath at a local tanner?

The coating will wear with use. CRK will re-coat the knife if you send it in and ask. The CRK leather sheaths are superb quality made by Gfeller. If you want a leather sheath I can easily recommend theirs.

The coating does not come off, but it scuffs on pretty much anything you cut like cardboard or wood. Cutting cardboard will leave traces on the surface.

Having said that, the scuffing adds to the charm and appeal of the knife, to me. There is something about a pristine Pacific or Green Beret that just looks wrong. These are thick, beefy, burly, knives and should not be treated like precision scalpels, in my mind.

I love my Pacific. It’s slowly replacing my Bark Rivers as my favourite outdoors knife.

Then I guess I shouldn't be afraid of picking one up. It's a pricey knife so I wouldn't want it not functioning and corroding/rusting all over because of sub meticulous drying. The coating being so sturdy make it more appealing that the spyderco respect that I would pairing it against.

Then I guess I shouldn't be afraid of picking one up. It's a pricey knife so I wouldn't want it not functioning and corroding/rusting all over because of sub meticulous drying. The coating being so sturdy make it more appealing that the spyderco respect that I would pairing it against.

You won’t be disappointed. I don’t think anyone ever has been. The pacific is awesome.

Back