Thinking about buying a few knives...

Hey, glad to join a community with fellow knife enthusiasts. :D

Anyway, I've been thinking of buying a few knives, one of them is the CRK&T M16-14LE Law Enforcement folding knife. I want to know some of your opinions on it.

I am also considering the Benchmade Gravitator BK, but I can't afford it at the moment, however I can definitely afford the M16 at the moment. I don't know whether to buy the M16 now, and wait to get the Gravitator later, or if I should wait a little while and buy the Gravitator, and the M16 later.

Thanks!

Hey welcome to the club..

I have both an M16-14M Big Dog and a BM Gravitator. All the M16 series knives are pretty good , the 14's are pretty big knives and a lot of knife for the price. The Tanto point gives this knife the appearance of being a sharpened pry bar and the Carson Flipper is about the easiest method for opening a folder.

But, IMO the Gravitator is in a different class, the blade steel is a higher grade and it's really a Titanium frame-lock. I think it looks very close to a custom folder for a little over $100.00. I find the Warncliffe style blade to be a little more practical too.

I wouldn't trade my Gravitaor for 2 M16's , so I guess my answer is I'd wait and save up for a Gravitator.

Hey welcome to the club..

I have both an M16-14M Big Dog and a BM Gravitator. All the M16 series knives are pretty good , the 14's are pretty big knives and a lot of knife for the price. The Tanto point gives this knife the appearance of being a sharpened pry bar and the Carson Flipper is about the easiest method for opening a folder.

But, IMO the Gravitator is in a different class, the blade steel is a higher grade and it's really a Titanium frame-lock. I think it looks very close to a custom folder for a little over $100.00. I find the Warncliffe style blade to be a little more practical too.

I wouldn't trade my Gravitaor for 2 M16's , so I guess my answer is I'd wait and save up for a Gravitator.

Is your Gravitator the one with the serrated edge? I think I'll get a Gravitator, but I can't decide whether or not I want the serrated edge on it.

Gravitator is a nice looking knife. No experience with 'em, but I know that you can't go wrong with Benchmade.

I have had some experience with the CRKT M-16. I once bought an M-16 12 for my wife and a m-16 14 for myself. The 14 was just too big and clunky for ninety percent of what I wanted to do with it. On the other hand my wife fell in love with her 12, and uses it frequently for hard use. One of my close friends also fell in love with the 12, and has carried it daily for about three years and beaten it half to death. He's a Journeyman Electrician, and has used it as a screwdriver, pry bar, continuity tester, and even sharpened a couple of pencils with it. He is not a huge knife knut like myself, and tolerates my quirks in the way that friends do, but when he lost his first one twenty four hours hadn't passed before he was at my house desperate for me to pick him up another. It really is a great little work knife, and worthy of consideration. I'm NOT a huge fan of the auto LAWKS on the new ones though, but...ya' just learn to live with it I suppose.

Regarding serrations, I'd keep 'em off the BM. The CRKT leaves no choice, so there's no point in discussing it.

Overall I don't like serrations. for me they're more hinderance than help, ugly, and hard to sharpen. They do have a place when you're cutting alot of hose, rope, etc. but for daily use, I personally have very little use for them.

If you're looking for a beater work knife the CRKT is great. If you want a great EDC I'd save for the BM.

Best of luck in your decision!

Alright, but I'd have to wait a little while before I can afford it.

One other question, serrated or not?

Non Serrated.

You could always get a cheaper serrated knife like the Spyderco if you really want one and IMO the quality would be higher than the CRKT.

Rob

Is your Gravitator the one with the serrated edge? I think I'll get a Gravitator, but I can't decide whether or not I want the serrated edge on it.

I have the coated , partially serrated blade. I bought it on sale in the beginning of 2006, it was for that style only.

I'm sort of mixed on serrations....

Gravitator is a nice looking knife. No experience with 'em, but I know that you can't go wrong with Benchmade.

I have had some experience with the CRKT M-16. I once bought an M-16 12 for my wife and a m-16 14 for myself. The 14 was just too big and clunky for ninety percent of what I wanted to do with it. On the other hand my wife fell in love with her 12, and uses it frequently for hard use. One of my close friends also fell in love with the 12, and has carried it daily for about three years and beaten it half to death. He's a Journeyman Electrician, and has used it as a screwdriver, pry bar, continuity tester, and even sharpened a couple of pencils with it. He is not a huge knife knut like myself, and tolerates my quirks in the way that friends do, but when he lost his first one twenty four hours hadn't passed before he was at my house desperate for me to pick him up another. It really is a great little work knife, and worthy of consideration. I'm NOT a huge fan of the auto LAWKS on the new ones though, but...ya' just learn to live with it I suppose.

Regarding serrations, I'd keep 'em off the BM. The CRKT leaves no choice, so there's no point in discussing it.

Overall I don't like serrations. for me they're more hinderance than help, ugly, and hard to sharpen. They do have a place when you're cutting alot of hose, rope, etc. but for daily use, I personally have very little use for them.

If you're looking for a beater work knife the CRKT is great. If you want a great EDC I'd save for the BM.

Best of luck in your decision!

Thanks for the helpful comment. I think what I'll end up doing is getting the M16 first, and then saving up for the Gravitator later. I gotta have both. :D

I have the coated , partially serrated blade. I bought it on sale in the beginning of 2006, it was for that style only.

I'm sort of mixed on serrations....

Me too, I think when I get my Gravitator I'll definitely get it non-serrated.

I've handled the M16 and it did nothing for me at all. The CRKT S2 on the other hand was a very nice frame locking folder that I thought was a bargain for the price they went for. If you can find one I'd look at that one and forget the other two if you want a good knife for little investment. The Kershaw Storm II and Byrd Cara Cara are also both bargain basement quality made folders.

STR

Back