1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Thinking of buying a new Emerson. Need some help choosing which one to buy.

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by Rowcha, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Rowcha

Rowcha

Jul 31, 2012
    Brand new here. I'm looking to buy a new emerson to EDC, i don't really mind weight. Could someone briefly describe the pros and cons of the most popular models? Theres so many to choose from :eek:

2. 5.56

Sep 27, 2008
    I like the CQC-10 because it has a V-grind instead of Emerson's common chisel grind.
    I also like the deployment hole, and the ergos are the best of the model's I've held, IMO

[​IMG]

3. Ossa1970

Ossa1970

Nov 5, 2006
    I have carried a version of the CQC7 since 1999' first the standard 7 then a few years ago the Super CQC7. Love the Tanto for work makes a good utility blade. I have the CQC8 for skinning deer when I don't have my Nessmuk with me. Also have a CQC12 but it's a safe queen, no reason to beat it up since they are now hard to get. You cant go wrong with any of them. The CQC 7's scales are a little straight for some people. I also carry occasionally a A100,a little less intimidating for some.

4. Allen R.

Allen R.

Nov 1, 2011
    cqc-10 , or super commander

5. sh00ter01

sh00ter01

Sep 26, 2007
    I'd have to agree. I had a Commander and thought it felt good in the hand, then I got a 10...
    [​IMG]

... the Commander has since been traded off:D

-sh00ter

6. HuntBomb

HuntBomb

Sep 18, 2009
    The CQC-15 is a winner.
    And I have always been really curious about the Gentleman Jim.

7. Rowcha

Rowcha

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. How do you guys like 154CM as a blade steel?

8. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Start with a 7.
    Emerson's 154CM is a very good clean knife steel.

9. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong

Feb 17, 2011
    Emerson's 154cm is the best 154cm I've used. I wish all of my blades were run softer after experience with this. I'm actually starting to get fed up with harder steels now that I'm getting used to my CQC-7. I'd recommend the 7 as well, by the way. I also have my eye on the 10 and the 13.

10. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong

Feb 17, 2011
    Most of his knives have the V grind. The only ones chisel off the top of my head are the 7 and the Karambit. I know there are a couple others, too, but yeah. I do agree on the 10, though except for those with larger hands who might not like the handle bump.

11. Krazy Cash

Krazy Cash

May 6, 2010
    Hell i'm torn between the 10 and the 15 for my next Emerson. I'm gonna see if my local shop (that I just found out about) has either in stock.

12. Brandonsc

Brandonsc

Feb 7, 2011
    Horseman for sure!

13. tokerblue

tokerblue

May 1, 2010
    I'm another one who's partial to the CQC-10. Love the ergonomics, blade shape and thumb hole. Although I'm eagerly waiting for the Mini Roadhouse to come out in BT.

14. stridersnsebenzas

stridersnsebenzas

Aug 16, 2012
    roadhouse or the uber commander and my fav the cqc8

15. slight

slight

May 22, 2011
    For my uses I think that the psark is the best edc Emerson. But the micro commander is right next to it because of its size. This is all based on speculation as I have exhausted my knife budget.

16. Rowcha

Rowcha

Jul 31, 2012
    I just found a place to buy a SOCFK. Are they still in production and will they increase in value at all?

17. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong

Feb 17, 2011
    There's supposed to be a run of 13s coming in Sept. Just sayin'!

18. Daniel L

Daniel L Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    There are sooo many models to choose from, not just based on looks but also your "needs." From the ones I've owned:

CQC8 - is a utility / fighter. Relatively large for its slimness.
    Horseman - same as the 8 but on 3/4 scale. I love this one after switching to tan scales.
    Gentleman Jim - a more dressier tactical with a really sharp point.
    A-100 - great utility / outdoors knife
    Persian - pure evil fighter / poker
    CQC7 - a classic model, but I personally don't like tanto designs for everyday use
    Commander - another classic, but again I don't like recurves. The 8 is much better IMHO.

And still many more Emersons to own for me! Looking at the 15, 13 and 14!

19. Brandonsc

Brandonsc

Feb 7, 2011
    Where did you find tan scales? I've thought about Cerakoting mine.

20. Daniel L

Daniel L Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    It was done by Yester5:

[​IMG]

Liners / spacer were also Cerakoted by Jeff Forbush (Forbush Weapons Refinishing), and then the blade was converted to a conventional double bevel by richard j (on the forum)

It took a while but the final product is outstanding. The only thing not pictured is a deep carry titanium clip from USA Knifemaker.