Thinking of Kershaw Leek

I would go with the Rainbow Leek.

There is nothing inadequate about Sandvik steel.

The rainbow coating is awesome looking (and functional) and it makes every rainbow knife one of a kind -since the coating is like a fingerprint, they will all be a little different.

If you like the style, I say go for the Rainbow.

Last edited:
Ramm9 you seem so irritable. Chill out man.

Anyway, famed New Zealand knife reviewer and maker Kyley Harris owns both a Kershaw Tyrade and a Sebenza, and says he can't notice a difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG8_k1fHf7I

That's from a guy who owns both. At the 2:30 mark he says of the Kershaw Tyrade:

"It feels rock solid, you know, I hold my Sebenza and I hold this. I'm not good enough to tell any quality differences. There's probably people who could point out where there's minuscule differences but to me they both feel great."

Which ever I take, I think I am satisfied. If I take rainbow version, I probably get the one with most red ( when I hope I get as much greenish as possible ) Its tough thing... I know one thing, harder it gets, more likely i end up order black and rainbow... Which is good, yet expensive idea ^^

Which ever I take, I think I am satisfied. If I take rainbow version, I probably get the one with most red ( when I hope I get as much greenish as possible ) Its tough thing... I know one thing, harder it gets, more likely i end up order black and rainbow... Which is good, yet expensive idea ^^

Both statements are very true. I am satisfied with my G-10 Leek, and sooner than later I will be satisfied with a Rainbow leek -once I buy it.:D

Ramm9 you seem so irritable. Chill out man.

Anyway, famed New Zealand knife reviewer and maker Kyley Harris owns both a Kershaw Tyrade and a Sebenza, and says he can't notice a difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG8_k1fHf7I

That's from a guy who owns both. At the 2:30 mark he says of the Kershaw Tyrade:

"It feels rock solid, you know, I hold my Sebenza and I hold this. I'm not good enough to tell any quality differences. There's probably people who could point out where there's minuscule differences but to me they both feel great."

"James", I think some are just getting bothered with your comments that, one, don't appear to be relevant to the OP's initial post & two, you base your opinion (& keep on pushing it) off of someone else's comments. FWIW, there is a difference between Kershaw's Tyrade & a Sebenza, plus they're totally different types of knives. If you (Or anyone else) prefers the Tyrade or something else to a Seb, great. But this isn't about Sebs or even Tyrades, it's about Leeks.

The Kershaw Leek is a very good med. use knife. It comes is many variations, so there should be something for everyone, whether that's a Random Leek or a different one.

As to "Jame's" comment about Kershaw making their version of the Sebenza, I don't think that's the kind of company that Kershaw is. If you want a Ti frame-lock with high end steel that's a Kershaw, go find a ZDP Leek or Cyclone. Both are Ti frame-lock A/O's with premium ZDP-189 steel.

They're not inexpensive anymore, but they're very good knives. They're not Sebenzas, either, but they weren't meant to be.

As to "Jame's" comment about Kershaw making their version of the Sebenza, I don't think that's the kind of company that Kershaw is. If you want a Ti frame-lock with high end steel that's a Kershaw, go find a ZDP Leek or Cyclone. Both are Ti frame-lock A/O's with premium ZDP-189 steel.

The new Speedform and Volt will be some great con-ten-dahs!

-titanium handles and premium steel.

-I am just talking about the titanium folder market by the way -no jabs at any companies:)

Anyway, famed New Zealand knife reviewer and maker Kyley Harris owns both a Kershaw Tyrade and a Sebenza, and says he can't notice a difference...

You are changing your basis of comparison. First you stated that the $35 Leek was comparable to the $350 Sebenza. When that didn't stick, you compared the $200 Ti Tyrade to the Sebenza. I've owned a Leek, a Ti Tyrade, and a Sebenza. The Tyrade is a lot closer in quality to the Seb, and has advantages of its own, but it's not equal in fit and finish.

Moreover, I suspect that Kershaw didn't make much money on the Ti Tyrades, but sold them near cost as a showpiece. That knife should have sold for more, IMHO.

I was waiting for someone to say this.:D
I did. It was worth it. I actually have a lot more variations of the leek than mentioned in this thread.

Good luck with your decision and purchase.
I am sure you will be satisfied.

Jason

I've owned a Leek, a Ti Tyrade, and a Sebenza. The Tyrade is a lot closer in quality to the Seb, and has advantages of its own, but it's not equal in fit and finish.
James can have his own opinions as well, it's all cool. If that's how he feels, who's to say it's not true?

Chris and I have had many a conversation on this very subject, and certainly we both appreciate and admire what each company has done, and will do in the future. I've said this about a similar companies comparison thread in the past:

Thomas W said:
I still don't feel there are very many volume factories that even want to do what CRK's does. It just doesn't pay in volume manufacturing. I have said many times here, the boutique runs that we do, don't even keep the bathroom lights on, let alone pay the bills. We enjoy doing them, and probably push in the direction of CRK's, but it is not our primary focus. The spotlight needs to be on the volume, not this high end perfection production that CRK's does.

I don't feel you will ever see many that rival CRK's because it's a small niche market that requires skilled labor. Skilled labor and volume manufacturing...hmmm...that's a tough one. Skilled labor and custom built manufacturing is also tough.

In a way the high end knife business is as challenging to get into as volume biz. The critique is harsh, and the demands from the consumer are great, there is a very small customer base, it's difficult of getting placement, you have limited capacity, plus you need to overcome all of this by offering a dealer program. This type of production is painstakingly tough, don't kid yourself.

The higher end production sprint run blades are really good these days, but I don't feel that they have hurt CRK's, or have in any way jeopardized their future.

lava_lamp said:
Moreover, I suspect that Kershaw didn't make much money on the Ti Tyrades, but sold them near cost as a showpiece. That knife should have sold for more, IMHO.
While I appreciate you mentioning that the TIZDP Leek should have sold for more, we did make monies on the project. You just have to make money. :)

Back