Recommendation? Thinking of new forge idea

Hey guys, I need to build another forge. My last forge worked pretty well but it could have benefited from better torch placement, a rear opening, and more robust to stand up to flux, etc. In this new build I was thinking of making the heating chamber be a 4" x 0.25" wall of square tubing about 12" - 16" long. I would then place this into the middle of a piece of 10.75" pipe and affix it there with the end caps. I would place a single forced air torch on one end in a manner to procude the most siwrl and even heat and place a exhaust on the other end to vent the hot air. Insulating as best as possible ofcourse. I guess it would look like a salt pot forge basically, but horizontal and no salt medium, just air. What do yall think about this? Would the radiant/convection heat be enough for simple forging and heat treating or do I need to be able to get the metal into direct contact with the flame. I would not be doing any time of forge welding at this time, just basic simple high carbon steel forging.

Your plan would work For HT, but not for forging or welding. You wuld have to use heavy wall stainless muffle, because carbon steel will slowly burn away. Even the stainless won't last forever.

The best idea is make the forge with open ends and use fire bricks or interchangeable ends made from Insboard to change the ends for different tasks. This allows switching from the muffle to forging in just a few minutes.

Your plan would work For HT, but not for forging or welding. You wuld have to use heavy wall stainless muffle, because carbon steel will slowly burn away. Even the stainless won't last forever.

The best idea is make the forge with open ends and use fire bricks or interchangeable ends made from Insboard to change the ends for different tasks. This allows switching from the muffle to forging in just a few minutes.

Ok great, most of what I do with it will probably be HT; but in the instance I want to forge could I make one end easily removable and have fire brick under the 4" chamber and remove one end/chamber and replace with a "forging end" and then be forge ready you think? For a 16" unit would one forced air burner be sufficient you think?

Back