thinking of painting or coating my long range set up

Take the barreled action out and put it in a blast cabinet...dull that sucker. Paint the furniture an earthy, brown black and go shooting

I prefer taping the rifle and scope with padded tape and then use krylon paint ... it means the original finish is protected and you can top up the tape/cammo pattern as and when needed.

IMG_2211_2.jpg

Nice bipod! What brand is that?

Krylon that sucker.....(Like this Sabre Defense Coyote Stomper)
CoyoteRig004-1.jpg

It's a gut check before you spray the first coat of primer, but once you do it, you'll ask yourself why you hadn't done it sooner!!! Easy to touch up and you can adjust the tones to the environment and/or the season. It's a tool. You can go as detailed or blended (I prefer mottled blended tones) as you want, and if you dont like it, you can start over. I do like Peters idea about the tape too! You could fray the edges of the tape to break up the silhouette a bit.

Post pics of the "after" work!

Nice bipod! What brand is that?

The Bi-pod is a custom one done by Henry Remple of Calgary, Canada.

Here is a link to a review of the pod and contact details etc ...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/11/canadian-ski-bipod-for-f-class-shooters/

The bi-pod is very quick to attach/detach by way of a floor plate which anchors it to the rifle. You can remove it quickly for positional shooting and have multiple floor plates for other rifles. Saves a lot on the expense of buying multiple units.

This was the "genesis" of many subsequent designs ... by comparison to subsequent lighter F/TR bi-pods which followed it's wide stance and adjustable cant/lock up features ( Sinclair's etc ) it is a heavy unit ... originally designed for the F-Open rifle weights ... but on the above L96 which has been re-barrelled in 6.5 x 47 Lapua there is little to no recoil as a result of the weight ... you don't therefore need a "spotter" ... bullet impact is visible at all distances out to 1000 yards ... even on very high magnification which the March scope offers. The set up is incredibly accurate ... at 100 yards it shoots consistant "single hole" groups in a tunnel range.

For proper "field use" I like it a lot ... way more accurate for the 300 yard to 1000 yard zone where you are composing your shot ... below 300 yards the rifle is great without it fitted ... ideal for quick snap shooting or simple prone free hand. Or you can use unconventional positions which are remarkably steady ...

UnconventionalPosition.jpg

One of the benefits of the "taping" of the rifle aside from "protection" is that you can tape on strips of plastic netting cut up to suit your preference or add small elastic loops ( tape a rubber band to the sticky side with a small loop eyelet jutting out the side ) so you can add foilage to break up the silouette. Here is a pic of four rifles cammo'd up on a sniping course. Two had the cammo partly removed to assist in recognition for the photo ...

Photo4.jpg

Without foilage a simple "mottled" pattern works best for breaking up the shape with large patches of contrast ... small detailed patterns cannot be appreciated at distance although they might look nice to the eye ...

Last edited:
Back