1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Thinking Out Loud.....!!! What Do You Buy.....???

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by nyefmaker, Nov 3, 2015.

1. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Just sitting here thinking out loud......If you had say $500-$600 for a CRK.............

What Do YOU Buy....???

Large Sebenza........???
    Small Sebenza........???
    Umnumzaan...........???
    Ti-Lock..................???
    Nice Mnandi...........???
    Impofu/OPK...........???

Not in the market for anything, just wanting to see what drives peoples thoughts when there are SOOOOO many options out there........!!!

I have pretty much always opted for the Large Sebenza as I always felt it was the Best Value for the $$$. The large is quite a bit larger than the small for the small $$ between them, so to me always represented ALOT more knife for that little $$ extra. I have had pretty much everything. CGG/UG/Rare/Plain/Wood Inlays........Only thing I have yet to try is Micarta or Carbon Fiber Inlays

I have had the Zaan's in pretty much all shapes and sizes and they just no longer appeal to me.

Same with the Ti-Lock, though the Geared engraving on the one looks cool.

Fixed Blades.....I have enough.....lol.

There are LOTS of nice mnandi out there.......BUT is that little knife worth as much as a nice large sebenza just because it has nice wood or mammoth and damascus.......???

* I am just throwing that $$ amount out there, doesn't have to be within that range, though for most of us, thats alot for a knife I would say.
    * Can be ANY model, not just the ones I mentioned.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Ruled out my response, I'm a Zaan guy.

3. Dhbranum

Dhbranum

Oct 5, 2013
    Good question. I imagine the answers will be as varied as the types available. I wish the ones I want were only 500 or 600. That's why I'm not buying anything, they're too much for me at this time with retirement creeping up. That, and I can't FIND any. My thing now is the large damascus annual mammoth bark or at least a large damascus annual. I would also like one of the African OPK with the box and papers. I know where there is one and keep hoping it will be there when I feel I can pull the trigger.

The only other one would maybe be the Steam, but it would have to be a screamin' deal.

4. nyefmaker

Sep 29, 2008
    That was just pertaining to me.....I know there are TONS of zaan guys out there....its a heck of a knife. I just wanna know what YOU guys buy if having the funds to purchase.

5. nyefmaker

Sep 29, 2008
    A Steam went for $417 recently. I missed it by $10'bucks.....lol

Also, the days of finding annuals for $500-600 are pretty much gone as well.

6. dubya3

dubya3

Apr 27, 2015
    I'd say Inoski but that's not listed so probably a Mnandi of some flavor.

7. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    ive never had a CRK, so I guess id start with just a regular ole larger 21.

8. pvicenzi

pvicenzi

Dec 25, 2008
    With the price of OPK's going through the roof, I would likely buy one of them.

9. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    For me, I guess it would be the Ti-Lock

Have been thinking about trading some of my other CRK stuff to get one,..just haven't started the relevant thread yet.

On the Mnandi and worth- Think about it this way.

There is actually MORE work in Mnandi than a 21
    It's got the same number of scales, but also has a machined pivot screw that is more complex than the 21's. The only one that was more complex for the pivot was the old pivot Umnumzaan.
    It also has a machined clip- With the exception to the Ti-Lock, the Mnandi's clip is actually alot of work to machine.
    Then add in the wood scales..

One may be tempted to relate the size of the knife to cost- Material cost is fractional- Labor is the same.

Anyway,..Looking for a Ti-Lock soon :)

10. KBA

KBA Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Having a family of 4 and living on 1 teacher's salary this range is rare. With that said, I have done a few odd jobs to buy one more in this range. It will be years before I can get another in this range as I do not want to sell any of the ones I have.

I have 2 heirloom small og sebs that I will carry on special occasions, 1 Damascus small seb w/ micarta inlays for an edc, and one Damascus Mnandi for formal events and church.

I am torn between getting another Mnandi to hand down, another small Damascus small 21 w/ plain TI scales that I would like to get my initials engraved on, or a micarta inlay insingo for edc.

I'm probably going to go with another Mnandi to use and hand down (One for each child) but I sure would love to get the others as well one day.

11. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    My collections is mainly UG's and CGG's, so I prefer the large Sebs over all. They have more real estate for the artwork.

12. socom1970

socom1970

Feb 24, 2015
    Large Sebenza for me. Hoping for another 21 pretty soon. :)

13. clockman

clockman

Jan 14, 2009
    I just got a large Ole Glory with raindrop damacus nib on BF. I have all the CRK's I want and more than I

need. The special site had the same Ole Glory for $27 less including shipping than I paid for mine.

I'd say get something you really like in a large with Damascus. I have 2 PJ Damascus, 1 in each size that

are the favorites of all my CRK's. It's really Hard to put into words how cool a PJ with damasus is IMO.

I don't worry at all about getting the scales scratched or marked.

The Ole Glory is a CRK I've wanted for a while. Carrying it may take a while tho.

14. Ccc

Ccc

Mar 10, 2014
    I would get either a large carbon fiber 21 or small micarta insingo.

That also happens to be what I am saving my $$$ up for now. That and Northwood's next batch of single bladed Madison Barlows.

And I am trying to convince myself that I will finally not want or need anymore knives...

15. The Burgh

The Burgh Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I'm not a CRK afficianado, so my opinion counts for little.

No thought required: MNANDI. If I had the resources, would collect them.

16. fmendez

fmendez

Dec 20, 2007
    Just got a small lefty micarta inlay insingo to match a large one.

17. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    Large KACF for me. :)

18. clearkevin

clearkevin Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I'd go with a 25 with some kind of inlay

19. zl1

zl1

Nov 24, 2012
    Hmm I'd love to get a large regular sebenza. Plain scales :D

20. lemmuhj

lemmuhj Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2010
    My feelings are pretty much in line with Nyfemakers. I used to be a Zaan guy as well, but just feel the 25 out performs it in COMFORT. Still love it, but would rather a large Sebby either 21 or 25. I tried the Mnandis, but just waaay to small for me. Love the OPK range but never get/would to use em:(