Thinking Out Loud.....!!! What Do You Buy.....???

nyefmaker

Gold Member
Just sitting here thinking out loud......If you had say $500-$600 for a CRK.............

What Do YOU Buy....???

Large Sebenza........???
Small Sebenza........???
Umnumzaan...........???
Ti-Lock..................???
Nice Mnandi...........???
Impofu/OPK...........???

Not in the market for anything, just wanting to see what drives peoples thoughts when there are SOOOOO many options out there........!!!

I have pretty much always opted for the Large Sebenza as I always felt it was the Best Value for the $$$. The large is quite a bit larger than the small for the small $$ between them, so to me always represented ALOT more knife for that little $$ extra. I have had pretty much everything. CGG/UG/Rare/Plain/Wood Inlays........Only thing I have yet to try is Micarta or Carbon Fiber Inlays

I have had the Zaan's in pretty much all shapes and sizes and they just no longer appeal to me.

Same with the Ti-Lock, though the Geared engraving on the one looks cool.

Fixed Blades.....I have enough.....lol.

There are LOTS of nice mnandi out there.......BUT is that little knife worth as much as a nice large sebenza just because it has nice wood or mammoth and damascus.......???

* I am just throwing that $$ amount out there, doesn't have to be within that range, though for most of us, thats alot for a knife I would say.
* Can be ANY model, not just the ones I mentioned.

Last edited:
Good question. I imagine the answers will be as varied as the types available. I wish the ones I want were only 500 or 600. That's why I'm not buying anything, they're too much for me at this time with retirement creeping up. That, and I can't FIND any. My thing now is the large damascus annual mammoth bark or at least a large damascus annual. I would also like one of the African OPK with the box and papers. I know where there is one and keep hoping it will be there when I feel I can pull the trigger.

The only other one would maybe be the Steam, but it would have to be a screamin' deal.

Good question. I imagine the answers will be as varied as the types available. I wish the ones I want were only 500 or 600. That's why I'm not buying anything, they're too much for me at this time with retirement creeping up. That, and I can't FIND any. My thing now is the large damascus annual mammoth bark or at least a large damascus annual. I would also like one of the African OPK with the box and papers. I know where there is one and keep hoping it will be there when I feel I can pull the trigger.

The only other one would maybe be the Steam, but it would have to be a screamin' deal.

A Steam went for $417 recently. I missed it by $10'bucks.....lol

Also, the days of finding annuals for $500-600 are pretty much gone as well.

I'd say Inoski but that's not listed so probably a Mnandi of some flavor.

ive never had a CRK, so I guess id start with just a regular ole larger 21.

With the price of OPK's going through the roof, I would likely buy one of them.

For me, I guess it would be the Ti-Lock

Have been thinking about trading some of my other CRK stuff to get one,..just haven't started the relevant thread yet.

On the Mnandi and worth- Think about it this way.

There is actually MORE work in Mnandi than a 21
It's got the same number of scales, but also has a machined pivot screw that is more complex than the 21's. The only one that was more complex for the pivot was the old pivot Umnumzaan.
It also has a machined clip- With the exception to the Ti-Lock, the Mnandi's clip is actually alot of work to machine.
Then add in the wood scales..

One may be tempted to relate the size of the knife to cost- Material cost is fractional- Labor is the same.

Anyway,..Looking for a Ti-Lock soon :)

Having a family of 4 and living on 1 teacher's salary this range is rare. With that said, I have done a few odd jobs to buy one more in this range. It will be years before I can get another in this range as I do not want to sell any of the ones I have.

I have 2 heirloom small og sebs that I will carry on special occasions, 1 Damascus small seb w/ micarta inlays for an edc, and one Damascus Mnandi for formal events and church.

I am torn between getting another Mnandi to hand down, another small Damascus small 21 w/ plain TI scales that I would like to get my initials engraved on, or a micarta inlay insingo for edc.

I'm probably going to go with another Mnandi to use and hand down (One for each child) but I sure would love to get the others as well one day.

My collections is mainly UG's and CGG's, so I prefer the large Sebs over all. They have more real estate for the artwork.

I just got a large Ole Glory with raindrop damacus nib on BF. I have all the CRK's I want and more than I

need. The special site had the same Ole Glory for $27 less including shipping than I paid for mine.

I'd say get something you really like in a large with Damascus. I have 2 PJ Damascus, 1 in each size that

are the favorites of all my CRK's. It's really Hard to put into words how cool a PJ with damasus is IMO.

I don't worry at all about getting the scales scratched or marked.

The Ole Glory is a CRK I've wanted for a while. Carrying it may take a while tho.

I would get either a large carbon fiber 21 or small micarta insingo.

That also happens to be what I am saving my $$$ up for now. That and Northwood's next batch of single bladed Madison Barlows.

And I am trying to convince myself that I will finally not want or need anymore knives...

I'm not a CRK afficianado, so my opinion counts for little.

No thought required: MNANDI. If I had the resources, would collect them.

My feelings are pretty much in line with Nyfemakers. I used to be a Zaan guy as well, but just feel the 25 out performs it in COMFORT. Still love it, but would rather a large Sebby either 21 or 25. I tried the Mnandis, but just waaay to small for me. Love the OPK range but never get/would to use em:(

Back