This escalated quickly (My Busse accumulation)

As of January 1 2020, I did not own a Busse Combat Knife, but I was interested.
I have been lurking for a while, and decided to take the plunge.

I am well aware both that I am blessed to be able to satisfy my whims like this, and that this is not normal behavior. Note that I the title of the thread I call it an accumulation, not a collection. I plan to use every one of them at least a few times. My number one actual practical purpose in having a good chopping capable knife is delimbing firewood.

I picked up a HOGB8 here on the forums, and I was impressed.
Even the Res-C handle was nicer to hand than I expected.
Next stop, a fusion handled something or other.
A HHFSH was available, and I latched onto it.

The balance of both knives was better than I expected for their respective weights and blade lengths, so I went bigger - and let things get out of hand while trying to make sure I was going to end up with the perfect knife for me. I delimbed a rick of Oak firewood, using either the HHFSH or the HOGB8 for everything under about an inch and half diameter - for me, I'd rather do this with a good chopper than a chainsaw. Normally I need a couple-three good choppers to make through a rick of wood (just set down a dull one and grab another) but these two maintained their edges better than any knife I have used to date.

So I got in deeper.

A CGFBM and a BM-E - I'm going to play with these a while, but they aren't my favorites.

These are my favorites - a NMFSH & a Basic 10. A knife as beefy as this NMFSH (28 oz) should not balance this well - but it does. I prefer the balance/control with it over the similarly weighted CGFBM above. The fatter bladestock and full grind combine to bring the balance point just a little farther back. it may not chop QUITE as well as a forward weighted blade, but once you have been slinging a chainsaw all day control>power. The BM-E above had a shot at being a lightweight "long" knife - until I got my hands on this Basic 10.

And for a little non-INFI chopping action, I picked these up. The pound and a half 12-13" bolo/machete/chopper has a steady spot in my rotation, so the BB13 (BG, .187 blade stock) seemed like a good fit. The 1111 just seemed like too good a price to turn down.

Thanks for the informative post. Nice group of Bussekin you have there. Like that Heavy Heart the best. I’m sure you’ll keep it up. “Not normal behavior.” I like that. See you around the Forum.

Solid group of knives. I'm kind of partial to the straight handles for the big boys (Battle Saw, SHBM, ASHBM), myself but Resi-C is an amazing material!

I too prefer the big 'uns but I would recommend a small, EDC type blade to round out the quiver. Maybe an Anorexic Basic 4 or Basic 3 if you want Resi-C. A SAR3, Game Warden or Mini Mean Street if you want the traditional handle materials.

I have accumulated quite the collection and although I had planned to use most/many of them, I live in the city and it's too warm for fires here so I don't get to use them as much as I'd like.

My current favorite users are the Mean Street Ergo, RMD INFI, and my Battle Saw. Those 3 will probably always be with me.

Welcome to the Infi / sr101 madness :)
Great choice on the NMFSH !!!! I love that knife !

Very cool. Congrats and Welcome! I felt the exact same way about the NMFSH!

I am completely familiar with the abnormal behavior of which you speak! I started here back in late 05'. At one point I had accumulated over 40 busse and bussekin chunks of steel. I was outa control lol. After an extended stay at a center for infi addiction, I can honestly say I am better now! Nice pics man and thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Back