1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 21 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Knives Megatherium, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

This may be a no-no...

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by nordicsniper, Jan 12, 2018.

1. nordicsniper

nordicsniper Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2015
    Hope this isn’t bad form...but does anybody have any news on when the Swamp will/if ever put the Rodents back up...or if any new blades will debut?
    I have to admit...Swamp are my favorites of the Kin.

bikerector likes this.
  2. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Nobody knows, aside from perhaps Johnny Walker, what will come on, when and in what form (shop or O2W or Ganza)

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  3. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Pull out your crystal ball and gaze deeply.

4. dman62

dman62 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 27, 2010
    ‘Tiz dark times in The Swamp indeed.

5. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    It sure is!
    As evidenced by number of posts and active members on both Swamp Rat forums...

6. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    Ian and Carl are Bots...there are no actual "people" there...

7. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    Well then, I've met one of the Bots in person...

8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    ....yep...me as well...I suppose he could have been animatronic .... ;)

9. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    THAT sounds like something a BOT would say!

I wish the Swamp and Yard were still active, but times change...

I tend to like Swamp designs the best. when is the Mischief7 coming out?

10. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    You’d have to ask Private Klink to return at least the design drawings back to the Swamp... suppose, if he returned the prototypes as well, it’d sped up the process greatly!

MattinLA likes this.
  11. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I also would like to see some more swamp rat production. @Kootaga13 got me a ratweiler and now I seem to be addicted to watching the busse adds for swamp rats to show up. Half my problem is I don't know what I want next because the ratweiler covers so many uses and then they sell before I am willing to commit to the cost. Kind of wish there was the same knife handle but another 4 inches on it and thinner blade stock for trail maintenance of thinner stuff, which I deal with a lot. I hate the handles on my other machetes/goloks. And why not have SR-101 instead of basic carbon steel?

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  12. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Hey BE. I'm glad to hear you still like the Ratweiler. I'm also glad to hear that she gets out and goes trail clearing with you. I'm sure the Rats would love to see some of those pics from time to time.
    I know there are longer blades, and I'll let the others here, chime in as to their names, but the thickness is an issue. Also, that run of Ratweilers came in two thicknesses, 1/4 and 3/16 of which you got the thinner one.
    Maybe @Hard Knocks or somebody else can join in here?

13. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    I noticed it was the thinner one. I was measuring up all of my spines the other day because I was looking for a dedicated chopped after gifting away my HI Kuhkri. Ended up with an OKC SP-53 because I like to try blade shapes on the cheap and then usually start looking for better things once I figure out what I like. I feel like it should help prep me for one of the busse choppers when they become available, maybe a rat 9. Apparently my arm needs the workout because it's like swinging a sharpened cinder block around. Add in a nice rat handle a blade geometry that isn't comparable to the corner of a cinder block (like the ratweiler) and it would actually be a nice knife shape. Kind of a weird sweet spot from what I'm used to though

The ratweiler is currently off getting a horizontal leather sheath from @Makael. I also added a vinegar patina so it's a bit darker than the last set of photos. I should have it back next week and I'm just starting to get back out into the woods again after taking a few months off to spend more dedicated time on the bike. And it has been hot and buggy out.

I have some prototype photos but I'm asking permission to share them since I think he's going to make a nicer one specific for the rat (prototype was for a piggyback with a mule I was gifted).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Uncle Timbo likes this.
  14. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Here's the sheath he's getting me for the ratweiler and you can see the deep patina it has. Some of these green plants put some pepper spots all over the blade because I was careless and left it uncleaned overnight after my last day in the woods with it addressing a downed tree I tuned into a log pile/up-n-over for the mtb trail.

Swamp rats love to get worked.

Pics from Makael.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS, I believe Makael mentioned making a pattern for the ratweiler (and mule) so he should be able to make sheaths for them without sending in the blade now. I know there was a BK4 sheath out there recently he did for another forum member that was really nice. I don't know how his work holds up in the field yet but they sure look nice in pictures.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  15. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    Bikerector,
    The 'Weiler family of blades (with the cousins on the side)
    Top one, Rat Daddy, has a 10 inch full flat ground blade, probably would be perfect for what you want to do

[​IMG]

Béma, Yonose and Uncle Timbo like this.
  16. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    That's a drool-worthy image right there. I think you're right about the rat daddy. I've never seen one in the classified but I don't know that I've looked for one. I'll have to start watching. Thanks for the share, that's a very nice collection.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  17. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Great pic there Elof. I'm adoptable, don't ya know. :)

BE, ask ol Elof about the green bladed one with black G10 slabs. ;)

18. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Hey Tim, how are you doing brother?

@bikerector another one you might put on your radar is the rat mastiff. Same handle as the ratweiler in a 9" blade. I traded mine off and have attempted to get it back with no luck. Worst regrets I've had in any blade that I let go. It's the second from the top in Elof's picture.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You might watch for an M9 to come up as well. There are saber-ground and full flat-ground models of the M9. The Ratweiler line excels in hammer grip, the Mischief line have a handle that's friendly in a variety of grips.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yonose and Uncle Timbo like this.
  19. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I still keep hoping for Jerry to roll out M7's and the ChopMastiff (9"-bladed Chopweiler). Throw some love to the Swamp bossman @Jerry Busse

Cheers!

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  20. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    HK, are you subtly trying to tell me you’re gonna need another sheath for a Mastiff once you land one?!?!

Uncle Timbo likes this.