This! This has to happen!

IBzuu9ll.jpg

This needs to be a folder! I'm thinking a flipper on bronze washers. Maybe a touch under 4" blade.

Lorien Lorien - how much blade can you get in here?

Back story is I have a set of DEK1 scales off the knife, and picked them up randomly. My immediate thought was these will make a perfect CPK folder.

You know I'm right, right?

I had to go look up the Boker Roundhouse again and realize it looks pretty dang close to what om imagining. It's like the same guy designed them...:cool:

So taking my thread a little different direction, can anyone post detail photos of the internals (pivot and bearings, specifically) of the Roundhouse, please? Any experience with the bearings I that knife? Bearing surfaces? Are they backed with washers?

I've been looking for a flipper on washers but most have bearings these days.

I've got five of them in the US that can't be sent across the border without dismantling. So I haven't actually even seen one yet. When I do, it will be in pieces

That's incredibly disappointing. I can't imagine the frustration of folks up north having to deal with this. Has anything changed or is this the new status quo?
it's what it is. We can still buy and legally own knives like this, but they have to be imported through a restricted weapons status. The knives themselves aren't illegal to own, it's just that there are regulations disallowing individuals to import them across the border.
So, I could buy a Roundhouse from a Canadian dealer who imported it but can't order it across the border without being confiscated. In fact, all five knives were confiscated by CBSA already. They were very helpful though, in getting them back to the US so I can have another crack at it. One of our fine members here is willing to disassemble the knives for me and send them in seperate shipments, so I'll be getting my hands on them soon enough

So, this moment of enlightenment is brought to you by the letters "L" and "A".

9BiBEX2l.jpg

KlEnJmFl.jpg

This is a pretty straightforward flipper... and yet it has Lorien Lorien 's design DNA all over it. Because I've come to appreciate that almost every detail of his fixed blade designs are purposeful, and work in concert with each other, I anticipated that level of sublime, "Ahhh, now I get it" kind of response to this knife as well. I may be overstating it, but the Roundhouse is right there in good company.

Looking forward to some miles on this one.

Details Tony?

It is the Boker Roundhouse, designed and made in collaboration between Lorien, and the late Bruce Bingenheimer. They did a few customs, I believe, then it was produced by Boker.

When I started this thread, I forgot it existed, but thought the size of the scales from a DEK1 would make for an awesome folder (duh!).

I'm going to use this for a bit and maybe post some review comments. Several others here have a lot more experience with it... I'm kind if late to the party, and admittedly slow on the uptake.

The D2 on my Round House is heat treated pretty well. I think I measured it at around HRC 62. It is a fantastic production knife.

This is currently the only D2 blade in my possession. I put a quick edge on it two nights ago and thought it seemed a little harder than I was anticipating. This is my first experience sharpening D2.

I first noticed my strop would not touch the burr. I had to go back and remove the burr more carefully on a stone. The end result was only a so-so edge. I wasn't really happy with it. Not my best effort.

Last night I started from scratch, on the 150 grit stone raising a full burr. Then at 240 grit there was a period it felt like I had a partial burr on both sides at once! This really threw me for a loop, but forced me to concentrate on carefully and fully removing the burr. I took it through the 800 grit stone, then stropped.

Anyway I got it correctly sharpened (in my opinion and experience) and stropped, and it's ready to rock!

Back