THK Food, Drink & Other Stuff Recipe Thread

Anyone got any favorite rabbit recipes? I'm trying to talk Miss Angie into raising a couple rabbits for meat, and since she's never had it before she needs a little convincing...

smother it in cream of mushroom soup and bake with carrots, pearl onions, and baby red taters?

another option:
slice up the bunny into pieces 1/4" thick or less
marinate in a mixture of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, 5 spice, and wine or cheap whiskey for a few hours (3-33, depending on if you forget it's in the fridge)
heat up a wok with some House of Tsang "stir fry oil" (cardamom & garlic infused canola oil)
when it's just starting to smoke, add the cut up bunny rabbit
cook over medium heat until done, stirring frequently so it doesn't stick and mess up your pan's season.

serve over noodles tossed with steamed veggies and sweet garlic-chili sauce.

if you want to be sneaky, test run the recipe with sliced up chicken or pork a week or 2 ahead of time.

Last night I made gnocchi.

Started off with 5 medium yellow potatoes, baked them for an hour in a 350° oven

Removed them from the jackets and riced them.
Mixed in 1 large egg, 3/4 cup of potato starch, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1.5 tsp of garlic powder and onion powder, and kneaded it all together
IMG_20140226_173129.jpg

Then I cut the dough into 1/4 and started rolling. Rolled it into about an inch in diameter cylinder and using my pasta scraper started cutting it into sections. From there you throw it onto a pan with more potato starch so it doesn't stick to each other and then you're ready to cook.

IMG_20140226_180006.jpg

As for cooking, you drop it into a pot of well salted boiling water (like pasta) for 2-3 minutes till it's floating then pull it out with a spider. I pulled it out and dropped it into a pan with bacon and onions sauteeing tossed it quickly and finished it with parmiggiano-reggiano.

it was 52 on friday - today it was 6.
I made a curry stew.
1 small tin of curry paste
1 can coconut milk
1 can condensed cream of mushroom
1 cup baby carrots cut up into coins
1/2 pound mushrooms, diced
2 small/medium sweet potatoes, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
1 cup brown rice (not diced)
1 cup pearled barley
6 cups water

simmer rice and barley in 5 cups water while chopping everything else up
microwave diced carrots & sweet potatoes for 2 minutes
when most of the water has been absorbed by the rice & barley (they should still be a bit firm/chewy), add everything else
stir and let simmer for another 10 minutes - or until the rice & barley are cooked.
the carrots should still be fairly firm, but not crunchy -- if you prefer them mushy, let it simmer for 20 more minutes -- or give them an extra minute in the microwave before adding them to the stew.

serve.

if this is too spicy, add 1/2 cup applesauce and/or crushed pineapple.
when rice and barley are almost done

3PM and I'm beat... spent the day in the garden again. It's basically all in and good to go - for now. There'll be more stuff rotated in as we harvest...

tumblr_n658zu9xfV1t96cc7o1_1280.jpg

Of course the whole point of all this work is to get fed... had a nice little salad for lunch today... 2 kinds of lettuce, spinach, sweet peas, onions, radishes, chives and strawberries (all organic of course). It don't get any fresher than this, baby! We don't have any maters yet so we had to add some from the store.

tumblr_n6590dSlT81t96cc7o1_1280.jpg

breakfast today was savory SW smothered "French" toast.
"everything" coated french bread
4 eggs
TBS garlic cholula hot sauce
2 oz milk
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup Kroger queso blanco "nice n cheezy"
1/2 cup salsa
1 TBS butter

mix eggs, milk, and hot sauce (Tabasco Chipotle works well, too)
slice up bread - this should be enough batter to cook 6-8 slices of bread
lay bread in an 8x8 dish and cover with egg mixture, then flip to make sure it's well coated
when all the egg mix is soaked up, fry the bread in a skillet seasoned with a little butter over medium heat
when the bread is cooked completely (browned on both sides) toss it on a plate and cook up the rest of the bread

while bread is cooking, melt "cheese" in microwave for 1 minute, then add salsa and beans - stir, then cook another minute.
stir again, if consistency is not smooth, cook for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until it's smooth.

when all the bread is cooked, put it on a plate, pour molten spicy goodness on top, and devour.
any leftover sauce can be added to browned ground meat and then poured over tater tots for dinner.

just think how much easier this could have gone with a handcrafted Terrio kitchen knife to fend off "tasters".....

Take one ripe room-temp watermelon, a little bigger than a human bean's noggin. Cut the fruit into chunks. Take a couple handfulls of fruit chunks at a time and put them into a clean cotton pillow case. Squeeze the dickens out of them over a large bowl to collect the juice... wring 'em out like they owe you money. (It's more difficult to squeeze 'em if they're cold)

Cut 6 lemons in half and juice them as well.

Strain to get seeds/pulp out if necessary, and combine.

In our case, this came out to about 3/4 gallon of pure fruit juice. Funnel it into a jug and chill.

Stir in 1/4 cup sugar - this was actually a little too sweet for me, but might not be sweet enough for you. Next time we will start with 1/8 cup sugar and see how it goes...

Chill. No additional water needed, plenty will come from the melon. Boom, that's it... excellent refreshing watermelon flavor with just a hint of zing from the lemon juice.

Shake well, add vodka to suit your needs and serve on the rocks...

934767_10153185124452366_371884561253184881_n.jpg

A cocktail like this is best enjoyed outside in the fresh air, especially after working in the garden for a couple hours. :)

Last edited:
Take one ripe room-temp watermelon, a little bigger than a human bean's noggin. Cut the fruit into chunks. Take a couple handfulls of fruit chunks at a time and put them into a clean cotton pillow case. Squeeze the dickens out of them over a large bowl to collect the juice... wring 'em out like they owe you money. (It's more difficult to squeeze 'em if they're cold)

Cut 6 lemons in half and juice them as well.

Strain to get seeds/pulp out if necessary, and combine.

In our case, this came out to about 3/4 gallon of pure fruit juice. Funnel it into a jug and chill.

Stir in 1/4 cup sugar - this was actually a little too sweet for me, but might not be sweet enough for you. Next time we will start with 1/8 cup sugar and see how it goes...

Chill. No additional water needed, plenty will come from the melon. Boom, that's it... excellent refreshing watermelon flavor with just a hint of zing from the lemon juice.

Shake well, add vodka to suit your needs and serve on the rocks...

934767_10153185124452366_371884561253184881_n.jpg

A cocktail like this is best enjoyed outside in the fresh air, especially after working in the garden for a couple hours. :)

Oh yeah. Jungle Juice.:thumbup: Been awhile since i had any but it is indeed a very tasty cocktail and gets you wrecked very quickly.:D Probably gonna make some next weekend. Nice garden BTW. Helped my Mom till soil and plant her fruits and veggies. Don't know how things are growing though. When i go see her will report back.

Gonna have to make some of this! Thanks for sharing the recipe. But I have to ask, is the hangover as bad as the one you'd get from finishing a bottle of bourbon with new friends? lol!

But I have to ask, is the hangover as bad as the one you'd get from finishing a bottle of bourbon with new friends? lol!

That depends on how accustomed you are to drinking an entire bottle of bourbon in one sitting. Practice and experience counts for a lot. It's just like running a marathon... amateurs hurt more the next day ;)

Seriously though, good vodka and clean fruit juice has a lot less of the bad stuff that makes for headaches and upset tummies, than brown liquor like bourbon does. Plus, when drinking a boatload of water like is in this melonade, you're preventing a lot of the dehydration that comes from drinking nothing but whiskey all night. So the answer is, no... the hangover pound-for-pound/drink-for-drink won't be nearly as bad.

Science!

Nice garden BTW.

Thanks! We still have a lot to learn but it's a bit better than last year... next year will be betterer...

10470926_10153185120897366_821286734391030559_n.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight's harvest... "guarded" by one of the dumbest yet most lovable cats to ever walk the Earth, Skitty Bitty Boo... ;)

tumblr_n98qkxtofD1t96cc7o1_1280.jpg

well, this was dinner last Friday - there's no Terrio content, but only because mine is on the way to me via a couple of stops in Colorado first....
OTOH, it was still good eats & drinks!

dinner with a wee dram of cask strength Aberlour single malt scotch

10518691_10152653281439603_1816370788726093365_n.jpg

10438222_10152653281454603_2638962790484955358_n.jpg

10501613_10152653281489603_818823308286119136_n.jpg

10603252_10152653281569603_8868029064149931089_n.jpg

fried up a pound of bacon ends and pieces - for the grease, of course...
sliced up a medium sized tater and a fair sized banana pepper - then fried them in some of the grease
while that was cooking, sliced up a couple of venison inner loins that had been marinading
sauteed the venison in some of the grease, covered with the other half of the combo skillet -- after it was well cooked and the marinade had reduced down, dumped it over the fried taters and inhaled.

That looks fantastic.

I still have the inner loins and part of the backstraps from last fall. Hmmmm.

What did you use for marinade?

well, this was dinner last Friday...

Oh my heavens *droooool*

By all means, do tell us your marinade secrets. I typically just splash on some Worchestershire and/or teriyaki and whatever seasonings I have handy... salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, hot sauce etc.

In other news, Miss Angie finally had to make another batch of homemade laundry soap last weekend... which means the first batch lasted over six months for two adults, plus sharing some with her mother and dad. 100% worthwhile and remarkably inexpensive :thumbup:

[video=youtube;2DVbBZuJvjI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DVbBZuJvjI&index=2&list=UUgX0eLLNYQPF42OvHjmvYbQ[/video]

[video=youtube;qsKIKHVRlZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsKIKHVRlZI&list=UUgX0eLLNYQPF42OvHjmvYbQ&index=1[/video]

Here's how my Mom's garden has been turning out. Pumpkins,squash,tomato's,grapes,raspberries,asperagus,potatoes,radishes,cucumbers,pea's,lettuce.think that's it. Probably something i'm forgetting.

20140729_113750_zpsb9cc3007.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140729_113851_zps453677b5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140729_113949_zps0f7e87d7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140729_113808_zps4bc05b07.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140729_114618_zpsf1d47d48.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140729_1140090_zpsbfa55113.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]