Thomas Haslinger

Thomas Haslinger

My other thread in the reviews forum - related

I don't see much posted about Thomas Haslinger knives so, I thought I would post a short synopsis of memories from the Las Vegas Classic.

The first knife I will comment on is a hunter which to me looks unconventional. It is exceptionally well thought out and executed. The grip portion is very slim which has almost always been a turn off for me. I must say that the ergonomics of this handle design are deceptively effective. It fits my hand like a custom knife should. And then, you flip it over and it fits just as good. It is a hunter after all so, while I don't normally see this flipped or reversed thing as practical, in his hunter it is a design element that is well thought out and effective in execution. If I didn't know better, I would have sworn he custom built that knife to my specific hand.

Then there were the general utility blades as I call them. Very traditional in general form and executed exceptionally well. You really need to see and hold them in person to appreciate them.

The kitchen knives are yet another example of his expertise, skill, and attention to design details. Even the large kitchen knife handled like it weighed nothing. The balance and effortless movement have to be felt to be appreciated. The closest feel I can think of are Jerry Hossom mid-size knives. They cannot be fully appreaciated unless you personally put one in your hand and feel it.

Next time you get a chance, do yourself a favor and slow down at his table next time your are racing down the aisles at a custom knife show to see that "newly" discovered maker with the mob at their table. They aren't the only "hot" ones at the show! ;)

My main kitchen knife is one that Thomas made. The man and his work are both exceptional.

I have a few Haslingers, including a kitchen knife that I use regularly. Thomas does exceptional work. They look and feel great and perform very well indeed. I likes 'em!

Back