Thompson Vaquero : Why not more popular ?

Only 2000 , limited edition , ever made - but I still see new at auction site for less than $90 ?

5.5" CTS-XHP , DLC coated black , full serrated blade in recurve form . Nogales stabby point . One of the best fighting / SD folders ever made . Excellent for both stabbing and slashing . Great ergo handle for multiple grip styles .

I already have TWO in the AUS8 (in both all serrated and plain edge) , but I'm thinking on grabbing this one too . But why are these still available at <$90 ?

Understand not everyone wants a bill board knife , but that's what Sharpies are for .

I have a few of the AUS8 serrated Vaqueros, very nice knife and at about half the price of the limited edition. But the limited edition has XHP steel and DLC. Maybe I get one before they are all gone.

The only mega folder I like to carry is the frenzy.
As far as sharpening, you would use the special Lansky sharpener designed for CS serrations. Same as any CS serrated knife.

Good question D DocJD ...

I own two and am contemplating a 3rd just because the price is so great...

I carry one hiking when I take my very light pack...I carry a fixed blade with my heavier day pack.

As for your question I'd narrow it down to two possibilities or a combo of both together:

#1. Aggressive looking styling ... black blade + carnivorous tooth-like serrations + recurve + pointy point + prodigious length = very sheeple unfriendly . This deters a lot of buyers-- they just know it's not gonna be PC to whip it out in the office to open a parcel.

#2. Loud Branding ... That leaves buyers who don't give a f**k about PC things. And a lot of those folks are pretty independent spirits by nature. Being independent they sometimes bristle at a huge, obnoxious signature across THEIR blade.

Neither of these possibilities have deterred me because I'm only gonna deploy mine on the trail when I WANT THE EFFECT TO BE FEAR OF THE BLADE from the perp. As for the second possibility, I'm a fan of LT and I personally like the way the signature looks. I don't even mind the collector #. I consider it another way for me to id my knife if it ever got lost or stolen.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Great price but the serrations aren't for me, Cold Steel will sharpen though for $5.00. My EDC are mostly all XL's 5.5"-7'5".

Im surpised too. I have been meaning to get one and thought for sure they would be harder to find right now, but I finally snagged one at Blade and I love it. I would definitely consider it one of their best SD folders, maybe one of the best SD folders period, actually. The full serrations are the only thing that me in the tiniest bit apprehensive just because they arent super easy to sharpen, but since Im a voyager fiend it was still a no brainer. Goes good with a snaggletoofis too. Im really hoping the clip point gets the same treatment in the near future, still bummed I missed out on the Rawles!
97AaRQ3.jpg

I own one full serrated blade and 3 partials. If it were plain edge, as stated in post #9, I’d buy at least one.

I like plain edged, stonewashed blades. I don't like large writing on the blade. I already have too many XLs. I try to wait for the ones I like.

Thanks for all posts ! I just noticed a 15% off coupon , so just had to grab this knife for ~$75 . Even though , like somebody said , I already own way too many XL folders . But I knew if I let this deal get way it would eat me up inside for all eternity . :rolleyes:

I mainly advocate the huge , full serrated CS folders for those willing to reserve them for emergency , SD and survival . They cut like nothing else and will do so for much longer than a PE . But they are a PITA to sharpen . Better a PE or Spyderco type SE for a real user that you will need to sharpen often .

Back