Those blasted Busses.

Something I've been wondering about.
Noticed that alot of these "bead blasted" finish Busses seem to have a finer finish than I normally associate with a bead blast.

Jerry, is this some kind of ceramic peen?
That's what my Darrel Ralph neck knife and folder have on the grinds, and it looks almost identical. It resists scratches, and I imagine corrosion better (closes the pores instead of creating more, IIRC) than a normal bead blast.
Just curious, 'cause I think it looks great, and wouldn't mind having that done on a Busse or two in the future.
Thanks.

Good eye! Yes, the Busse bead blast is what I believe Jerry calls a double cut. First the blade is brought to a satin finish, then is very finely blasted (a ceramic ball peen IIRC). And yes, it does actually improve corrosion resistance by closing pores in the steel.

Andrew's answer is right on the money ! Our bead blast is the best there is out there and actually entails more work than even the satin finish !!

Jerry just did a double-cut blast job on the Birch Knob Polar Drop.
attachment.php

I had no idea he was going to do that kind of work on a "payload" blade. :eek: Jerry just keeps amazing me with his NCS (Nuclear Customer Service). Up, over & beyond any other company I've ever dealt with. :cool:
Now, I think I hear the last Killer B calling to me. Let's see...yep, there's room on the CC.

i think the new bead blast is the best way to go. it has a slicker, nicer look and it is easier to refinish and keep nice looking. well worth the extra time and cost for both user and safe queen.

Thanks, guys. I've been thinking about it since handling one of the variants at Blade that was blasted, but keep forgetting to ask.
Drew, it was that pic that reminded me:)
Idaho, I agree totally. Based on my daily carry knives, this is a fine "working knife" finish, and I love the way it looks.

Now...
How much extra is it going to cost me if I order my next Busse from the shop with this finish?

I think that a satin or Busse bead blast finish is an extra $65. I got a chance to handle RonM's satin-finished NO, and let me tell you, it looked great in satin! :D

i have a zt-no that jerry did like this and it turned out to be a "ghost" natural outlaw. looks really cool as you can see the ghosted logo. finish is beaded and very slick. it's at rowe's getting a new skin for it. once you go bead you won't go back!

Back