Those "No Stick, Hollow Edge" Circles on Blades...

Hello Sharpeners,

So, the massive marketing machine is grinding on me and I've found myself intrigued by these knives with the row of elliptical grinds that supposedly help food like potatoes not stick to the blade. I've always chalked them up to gimmicks but like I said, I'm curious.

But, one thing I really do wonder is if and/or when, these "circles" will or would interfere with sharpening? They seem so close to the edge...

Your thoughts welcomed. :)

HG%20Knife%20Edge_zps4ggktzvx.jpg

It may work even better, since you will have areas where the thickness behind the edge is very thin.

I've not noticed them to keep food from clinging to the blade, really, but it can reduce friction-grabbing of the blade when cutting certain things like potatoes. It doesn't seem to make a huge difference, though. Just enough to be noticeable, but not significantly useful. :p Maybe some folks cut different volumes of different stuff than me, though, and can observe a greater difference between blades with vs. those without.

I use a santoku with those 'hollows' in the blade, for chopping fruits/veggies/etc. They don't interfere with sharpening at all, even if/when it's sharpened enough to put the edges of those scallops close to the cutting edge. Don't worry about them in sharpening.

As for if they actually 'work' or not in preventing sticking, that may be hit or miss, depending on what you're cutting. I know with apples, they stick to any blade I've tried, when chopping them. Doesn't seem to make any difference at all, scalloped blade or not. I've noticed more of a 'non-stick' effect using thicker blades with wider edge angles, which tend to 'wedge' the fruit apart in cutting it, so it falls away from the blade more easily. Obviously, cutting isn't as effortless as with a thin blade (I've thinned my santoku a lot, behind the edge), but for fruit/veggie slicing & chopping, it's not that big a deal.

While I am certain that the "grantons" might actually prevent SOME kind of food from sticking to the blade I have never figured out what that might be. Everything I have ever used them on stuck exactly like a normal blade. I'm thinking it's just more marketing garbage.

Maybe so. I guess then the question is do they even work to begin with. :confused:

I don't think they work all that well.

I recently heard the term "S grind" in a podcast, so looked it up... if you're really interested in food not sticking... might want to do some research on that...

... (it's, from what I read, a hollow grind transitioning into a convex grind. Haven't tried myself).

Thanks all. I figured it was likely marketing hype. I know true grantons are very pronounced and double rowed so I was guessing these weren't really that effective.

Back