Thoughts on 1095 Cro-van steel?

But there must be something in the heat treatment Ka Bar performs that makes the blade just a tad softer than another 1095 in my bin. I understand the old Carbon V made by Camillus for Cold Steel is 1095.

Zieg

Carbon V was not 1095, but it wasn't 1095 Cro Van either.

Carbon V, as used at Camillus, was quite similar to 1095 Cro Van, but contained no nickel. Camillus used the same alloy in their own knives and in the Beckers, when the Beckers were made by Camillus. When used in the Beckers and in their own knives, Camillus called the alloy 0170-6C. According to the old threads from shortly after the Camillus shut down, Camillus ran 0170-6C a Rockwell point or so harder than KaBar runs 1095 Cro Van.

Case knives uses Cro Van on some of their models 1095.

No. Case CV is not the same as 1095 Cro Van. Both CV and 1095 Cro Van are modified versions of 1095, but 1095 Cro Van is a much more complex alloy, containing more modifying elements..

Well, quality blades from reputable makers rarely break because of the steel they're made from.

LOL, certainly true, but even most cheap blade, when they actually break, it seems to often turn out that the user was doing something stupid.

As far as Ka Bar's, I'm with you, I think their history with that steel speaks for itself, just been used to much over to many years, for folks to say it's bad.

Back