Thoughts on another idea ?

I had an idea for a tool quite maybe a year ago now and stated looking at it again today but shrank it down so it will fit in a jacket pocket.

This would fill many of the roles that a knife can but can also be struck with a batton and used like a wood chisel. It could also be lashed between a split stick and used as a mini axe. What's your thoughts, crazy ?

001yam.jpg

By pitdog2010 at 2011-01-04

I was thinking it could be made from the 3/16" saw steel Mark has.

I think changing the handle shape into more of a "T" instead of the sideways "U" shape it is now would make it more comfortable to use, and easier to lash.

+1 on the T handle, or changing the shape somehow to make it more lashable. right now it looks like it would want to launch from the haft when swung.

it has a passing similarity to th ATAX, but so does one axe to another. three's also the Eco Hawk or whatever it's called.

unlike the ATAX, this is KISS. the ATAX tries to do everything and seems to suffer for the effort.

Put a curve on the cutting edge and it can double as an ulu. . .

That is what I was thinking. Use a t handle so you would have both sides to lash. A bit of a belly so it could be used as an ulu. The ulu is a very old design and you wouldn't have to worry about infringement on another persons design. I think we changed the wsk up enough that we don’t have to worry about design issues.

I'd want a convexed edge if I was to use it in any way like a hatchet, other than that a T handle and it would be pretty cool.

+1 on the T handle, or changing the shape somehow to make it more lashable. right now it looks like it would want to launch from the haft when swung.

it has a passing similarity to th ATAX, but so does one axe to another. three's also the Eco Hawk or whatever it's called.

unlike the ATAX, this is KISS. the ATAX tries to do everything and seems to suffer for the effort.

I completely agree, just pointing out that it bears a resemblance. I do like the idea of essentially making a Bushcraft-Ulu, though

I think the T handle might be a good idea as long as it doesn't become classed as a push dagger as they are illegal in Canada.

Regards the edge shape I still feel a straight Scandi would work the best for Bushcrafting.....shaving fuzz sticks, cutting notches and truncating cross grain through wood......think a Wood chisel on steroids.

Even for dicing veggies etc I think the flat edge would work the best, the only advantage with an Ulu is when you use it in a rocking motion on a cutting board.

The idea works very well, actually. There's a guy on youtube that made one last year that is very similar to this. He cut his out of a lawnmower blade and ground it himself. I think his name was mrcableguyken or something like that.

The idea works very well, actually. There's a guy on youtube that made one last year that is very similar to this. He cut his out of a lawnmower blade and ground it himself. I think his name was mrcableguyken or something like that.

Any links, I can't find it !

I might some of these next month to test the waters. Right now, I have a huge pile of heat treated steel to grind! I didn't bring back alot of my old stock sawblade steel. Wishing I had a couple of those 54 inch that are still sitting in the floor of the old shop. The problem is finding stock wider than 2 inches. Most places I have seen only offer 2 inch wide stock. Anything over that and prices go crazy. I priced Admirals L-6 last night. They offer it in 6 inch wide stock. It has went up in price to 105.00. And that's before shipping!

Ok, I made a wood mock up. I have a small amount of steel. Enough for a limited run of 7-8. I want to keep the price under 100.00 for shipping and the cover. Post in this thread if you are interested. Watch here for developments!

Mark is there any chance of you making one and posting some pics of how it performs, I'm interested in one but it will likely have to be for my birthday in May !

Still no money for this, but still interested and I'll be keeping an eye on it--it would certainly make a great addition to a BOB or GHB.

Back