1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on SAK scissors?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by melmac, Apr 3, 2018.

1. melmac

melmac

Sep 10, 2015
    I'm trying to decide on a Victorinox model and want to keep things slim, but I notice a lot of people talking about the scissors.

Is there really a benefit of scissors over a blade? What do personally use the scissors for that you can't use a blade (or at least why do you prefer the scissors over the blade in those situations)? Thanks!

2. aih

aih

Jun 10, 2010
    There are just things that are easier to do with scissors than with a knife blade. The other day I used SAK scissors to cut a loose thread on a Tilley hat. I suppose I could have done it another way, but scissors worked better. I also use the scissors to cut tags from new clothing, less chance of accidently getting the clothing with a blade that way. Just depends, I guess, on your druthers.

rje58 likes this.
  3. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    ^^^^^
    Trimming moustache and nose hairs, if you are away from your regular grooming kit, or fingernails. Those get frayed or broken sometimes while working on stuff, so scissors on the spot are a help so it doesn't get worse. In fact, Vic scissors are so good that sometimes I use them in place of my dedicated ones for these little jobs.

danbot and Haffner like this.
  4. rt dak

rt dak

Dec 29, 2015
    I second the two posts above. Personally, I won't buy any SAK without scissors. I carry a Classic on my key ring daily pretty much just for the scissors.

Pilsner and jmh33 like this.
  5. RP13

RP13

Sep 30, 2013
    All of my SAKS have scissors, I love them! They come in handy to trim straws when eating out for my kids, removing tags, the odd whisker hair, the list goes on and on. I have the Deluxe Tinker and Hunstman while a bit bigger I don’t mind them I like having the extra utility around if I’m with the kids. I also have the Pioneer X which is a nice size not too big not too small. If I’m carrying. Dedicated folder I will pair it up with a classic. Everyone should own a SAK.

rje58 likes this.
  6. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    I don't use them on the larger models but they're probably the most used item on my classic and mini champ.

Funny part is, my previous keychain tool was a leatherman Squirt P4. When I lost it to the TSA, I was disappointed that they changed the design to the PS4 with the scissors added so I didn't buy one.

Turns out, I didn't know what I was missing:p.

Pilsner and znapschatz like this.
  7. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    The scissors on my Super Tinker are the most used tool, even more than the blades themselves.

8. melmac

melmac

Sep 10, 2015
    Thanks for all the feedback. You've given me some good perspective on the scissors. I'm just starting to get into Swiss Army Knives and don't have too many resources so I have to be selective about what I get!

9. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    I
    I cut curves, half moons, in folded cloth tape to make round holes. Some times I cut the hole from scratch; sometimes I trim the hole so it is larger. Hard to do with a knife. The best thing to use obviously is a hole punch but I have no hole punches at work and doing it the way I have for forty some years works well enough I have no other reason to buy hole punches for at work (I do no leather work there).

Trimming a taper on the end of tape as it hangs in the air while I hold something in place with my other hand. I have to do that often so the end of the thick tape blends in to a square edge and looks professional and "finished". Long story but that is one application where scissors work where I can't use a knife. Truth be told I use long scissors, not my SAK but there you go.

The other night I had the minutest hang nail, mostly skin after a piece of my finger nail had gotten snagged on something and torn off. I tried to shave it off with a knife and kept thinking I had gotten it. Not until I used my SAK scissors did I get it trimmed up right.

Putting bandages on my hands / fingers the scissors come in very handy all winter. I can't trim the tape the way I need to with a knife and SAK scissors work with right or left hand unlike conventional scissors (at least in this application . . . for me).

IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_4721.jpg
    IMG_4720.jpg
    IMG_4987.jpg

10. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Mini Champ !
    All hail the Mini Champ !
    IMG_5115.jpg

Rupestris likes this.
  11. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Left Wowbagger a note on Profile page...
    Don

12. aih

aih

Jun 10, 2010
    Scissors are the opposable thumb of the cutting world.

jackknife, Ace Rimmer and WValtakis like this.
  13. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    I like Victorinox scissors a lot better than Wengers. I pretty much only carry saks with scissors these days. The Compact and Climber are my most carried.

Venice likes this.
  14. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    A scissor is a pair of blades working towards each other! Try it! You’ll like them!

jmh33 likes this.
  15. quattro98

quattro98 Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2000
    I keep a SAK Manager on my keychain, in part for the scissors. I tend to keep a Small Tinker in my bag, but I might change this to a CyberTool S. I like getting the larger knife without the scissors to avoid redundancy and make them one layer thinner.

16. Brock O Lee

Brock O Lee

Jun 29, 2011
    Zip-ties... The 91mm scissors cut them well.

Also, straws, band-aids, nails, tags, hair etc.

17. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    I agree with all that has been said above.
    Of all the tools on my SAK, I use the scissors the most.

jmh33 and Grateful like this.
  18. WinchesteRalox

WinchesteRalox

Mar 26, 2018
    The only knifes I own with scissors on them are two victorinox classics, The only time I ever use them is for trimming stray sideburn hairs.

19. Gvard

Gvard

May 5, 2017
    Mostly for cutting band aids to size.

20. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    I have an older Camper (?) with scissors, which I got on the recommendation of my Commo Sergeant who used them for opening his One Time Pads. For me it is my least used tool, and I normally carry a OH SAK, and have no regrets about not having a scissors on it, and have been carrying that OH SAK since 2001. Now the only I carry the Camper is when I travel overseas as many countries do not allow a OH knife to be carried. John