Thoughts on the Manix 2, the M2XL, and the PM2

So I was kinda bummed that the PM2 in brown wasn't going to get in for a while so I took some of my stash and picked up a Manix 2. I had purchased the Manix 2 XL a few weeks ago and I couldnt put it down. I went over to Blade HQ with the intention of buying a Military-and they had many of the variations to be had, but there were too many things that I didn't like about the knife that are all idiosyncratic to me and by no means am I besmirching the knife, it just wasnt for me. So I asked them to bring out the manix 2 in G 10, and this is the version with the opaque ball detent lever and the solid steel liners.
Boy that knife got a hold of me immediately. I liked the heft, and it is heavier than my Manix 2 XL, but the weight didnt detract from me. So i picked that up. When I got home I did some slicing tests with the 2 XL(FFG) to compare to the Manix 2s saber grind. It was an apple, so dont get excited- no spine whack tests and no cutting of cinder blocks, I will leave that to the pros on youtube. And I saw no difference in slicing an apple, but then again, we arent talking about a blade that is 0.25 thick like the ol BK 2 ( which I love ).
So I am so in love with both of my Manixes (?).
And the very next day, the other not as big utah knifestore calls me and says my ParaMilitary 2 in brown is in!! So I hauled my butt over there and picked up the pm2. I can really see why some people would not ever want another knife after that one- its near perfect!! Its light, its S35V, its a compression lock ( my first ), and the ergos are just super. I don't know if this will be my only PM2, but I will always have one. My oldest son, 12 yrs, already said he wants it, but he's gonna have to either wait a really long time or get his own in the meantime. I have 4 boys and one girl who all have their own knives and they are always asking me to get out whatever knife I am carrying so they can fiddle with it ( under direct supervision )
Three great knives from a great company. if you are considering any of these three knives, the Manix 2, the M2XL, or the PM2, please dont hesitate, you will love em.
Thanks for reading,
John

Well Said John,
To be honest, I LOVE many knives, different strokes but no matter WHAT I have on me, I always have a pm2, I really can't put one down since I purchased it. We're talking over 200 quality knives easily in my stable and the para 2 has always been a staple. I also have a great amount of love for the Manix however while it initially wow'd me, I find myself carrying them less these days.

I too am enamored by the PM. I have the brown handled S35VN Sprint Run. Between my Gayle Bradley in M4 and my PM, I'm a complete Spyderco convert. I have actually sold off Bench....s to fund new Spydies.

Reignman,
I know what you mean about the Manix. Perhaps that will happen to me, I look at some expensive knives that I have bought and at the time that's all that I could think about, and now I don't carry them so much, but it just wouldn't feel right to me selling them off. Funny where the "knife road" takes us.
John

Haha... funny you should post this... I just picked up a Manix2 myself yesterday. Pretty much same deal... once I got it in hand I was caught! :) I currently own 5 Para2s... and the Para2 is by far my favorite knife... and the Manix2 isn't likely to displace it in that position, but dayum... the Manix2 is a sweet, sweet knife in its own right (mine is just the standard hollow-ground/saber-ground S30V stonewashed blade, etc). It will definitely get put into the rotation and steal a few of the Para2s' days! :)

One of my Para2s and my new Manix2:
image_zps66c9a163.jpg

-----------------
SpyderNation

I also really love the Manix 2 it's definitely my favorite Spyderco as of now. The Manix 2 is hollow ground by the way not saber ground.

I edc a couple of Para's and a Manix 2 S30V also. The Manix 2 carries very well for a stout folder, as it also inspires total confidence, the PM2 is my all time favorite but the M2 is close behind.

Back