Thoughts on Tony Bose collaboration Case knives?

I have three currently. Had let a Norfolk and Cattle knife go a while back. I'm not a hard knife user by any means, but I do enjoy carrying and using these three.

Uqm90n7.jpg

The Eureka Jack is the most recent addition, and has become a bit of a pocket hog.
Thanks for the side by side Canuck. I tell you that Eureka Jack is speaking to me!

B brownshoe , I am not entirely certain how to take your response and I'm half wondering if you bothered to read what I wrote with the context that I provided.

I made this pretty clear, a disclaimer (if you will) to the OP, acknowledging that I could not answer his questions based on hands on experience but that I could speak to why I do not own any Bose/Case collaboration knives as of yet. I'm happy that you have had great fortune when it comes to your own knives - unfortunately that is not the case for everyone, which is exactly what I was speaking to.

This is rather disparaging and is very presumptive. If it was directed at me, I take offense to that, if it was a generalization on your part, then we all should collectively take umbrage. You cannot broad brush knife collectors based on your own bias. Criticism can and should be warranted when necessary and usually can be rather constructive - whether the maker takes it in stride or it simply serves to educate fellow collectors.

If the Bose/Case collabs were perfect every time, we wouldn't be having this conversation. As it happens, they have misses and, in my opinion, it happens frequently enough that it gives me pause when considering shelling out several hundreds of dollars. It has nothing to do with whether or not I can afford it.

This is also something that I stated rather clearly. I have full confidence in Case's warranty work, they have a good reputation in that regard for a reason. Regardless, it is still a considerable inconvenience to the knife user and collector should they have to return their knife right after receiving it.

I read your post twice.

I dunno,to me it's simple. Many "QC issues" are not QC or really issues but stem from collector's lack of knowledge or from unrealistic expectations. You can't expect perfection from items made by humans.

This ignorance by collectors is magnified by people who enjoy complaining. This is all unfair to Tony, his vision and Case.

Since I like the product, met Tony and heard his story, I am extremely biased :)

My first was a Cattle Knife bought off the secondary for a decent price. Once I got it in hand I felt if the others are like this they are worth what they are selling for. Have collected several but the Cattle Knife has always been my favorite. The Abalone pictured below is the only one I’ve paid full price on. Found it at an electrician store. Had been sitting in the case since 2016. Tried to work a deal but no-go. I bought it anyway. It’s a beauty. I carry a multi tool for anything rough. These go in a knife purse and in the pocket when I go out. They are built like a tank though so I would count on it in any kind of tough use situation. To be honest I’m surprised you can still find any Case/Bose available as they were all limited to about 250. Even at full price.
View attachment 1726483View attachment 1726484

My first was a Cattle Knife bought off the secondary for a decent price. Once I got it in hand I felt if the others are like this they are worth what they are selling for. Have collected several but the Cattle Knife has always been my favorite. The Abalone pictured below is the only one I’ve paid full price on. Found it at an electrician store. Had been sitting in the case since 2016. Tried to work a deal but no-go. I bought it anyway. It’s a beauty. I carry a multi tool for anything rough. These go in a knife purse and in the pocket when I go out. They are built like a tank though so I would count on it in any kind of tough use situation. To be honest I’m surprised you can still find any Case/Bose available as they were all limited to about 250. Even at full price.
Your antique jigged bone is amazing! Love it! The others are fantastic as well, but that example of the antique is just incredible!

I got a Eureka right after Christmas as one of the distributors had almost $200 off the normal price. I felt getting this knife at $300 was a no brainer. I love it, and it is almost perfect. If you look closely at the pile side scale however, there is a crack that essentially runs from bolster to bolster. I believe it came from the factory this way as it seems to have collected dye. It appears very stable and I actually carry this knife a fair amount, so I don't intend to send it in for repair. If it starts to worsen or seem like it will separate I'll change my tune. Kind of disappointing for a knife of this price to get out like that. Otherwise, it really is one of the nicest knives I own.
1JA1t5T.jpg

I got a Eureka right after Christmas as one of the distributors had almost $200 off the normal price. I felt getting this knife at $300 was a no brainer. I love it, and it is almost perfect. If you look closely at the pile side scale however, there is a crack that essentially runs from bolster to bolster. I believe it came from the factory this way as it seems to have collected dye. It appears very stable and I actually carry this knife a fair amount, so I don't intend to send it in for repair. If it starts to worsen or seem like it will separate I'll change my tune. Kind of disappointing for a knife of this price to get out like that. Otherwise, it really is one of the nicest knives I own.
1JA1t5T.jpg
That's a bummer. Sorry to see one like that get out of the factory.

That's a bummer. Sorry to see one like that get out of the factory.
I agree. It certainly took my euphoria over this knife down a few notches. This summer when I'm in the area visiting relatives perhaps I'll take a drive over to Bradford to see what they could do to remedy it. To be honest though, as long as it stays tight I'd rather just keep it and continue to use it.

I never pulled the trigger on a Case-Bose knife. Not really sure why. Price, I guess, but that’s a weak argument when you consider how much I’ve spent collectively on, say, GEC knives. Anyways, as I was reading through this thread, I was trying to recall the one pattern had almost made me pull the trigger several times, but it wasn’t coming to me… until I saw your post. Those Cattle Knives are absolutely fantastic! 😁 :thumbsup:

I never pulled the trigger on a Case-Bose knife. Not really sure why. Price, I guess, but that’s a weak argument when you consider how much I’ve spent collectively on, say, GEC knives. Anyways, as I was reading through this thread, I was trying to recall the one pattern had almost made me pull the trigger several times, but it wasn’t coming to me… until I saw your post. Those Cattle Knives are absolutely fantastic! 😁 :thumbsup:
I’ve been paring down my GECs a bit and picking up semi and customs in their place. To be honest I’ve grown tired of the “drops” and the exaggerated resells. I use to be a go for every model kind of collector. Now I’m researching and buying exactly what I’ll keep and carry. Saves a heck of a lot of room too!!

I have three that I bought from the classifieds here- an ebony Premium Stockman, a jigged bone Cattle Knife, and an ebony Eureka Jack. They're all flawless. I have a bunch of traditionals, but the Eureka & the Cattle knife get carried more than anything else. The only reason the Premium Stockman doesn't get carried more, is because it's just a bit larger than I like.

20220122_192559~2_resize_0.jpg20220122_192709~2_resize_10.jpg20220122_192720~2_resize_4.jpg
My only two. Got the antique dogleg jack used for an incredible deal, and the chestnut cattle knife at retail. I need to send the cattle knife in for some lateral play on the main. They are both great knives and I do carry them for casual use. I EDC a multitool for hard use. The dogleg jack is ground very thin and is super slicey. The solid build quality and the smooth, crisp and snappy walk and talk on these knives is something else altogether. All blades ride on pivot bearings and have mill-relieved liners, so are quite different from other factory produced knives in that respect. I think they are quite the work of art -- a blend of timeless, elegant design and modern technology in materials and the hidden build elements. The closest thing I will ever get to anything made by the master craftsman Tony Bose. RIP Sir, and thank you for your legacy.

I have the Tribal Spear in abalone. I usually don't care for bling, but this just spoke to me. I just carry it around the house, open letters and use it as a fidget. I refer to it as my Mary Poppins knife...practically perfect.
LJ6194Z.jpg

View attachment 1726768View attachment 1726767View attachment 1726769
My only two. Got the antique dogleg jack used for an incredible deal, and the chestnut cattle knife at retail. I need to send the cattle knife in for some lateral play on the main. They are both great knives and I do carry them for casual use. I EDC a multitool for hard use. The dogleg jack is ground very thin and is super slicey. The solid build quality and the smooth, crisp and snappy walk and talk on these knives is something else altogether. All blades ride on pivot bearings and have mill-relieved liners, so are quite different from other factory produced knives in that respect. I think they are quite the work of art -- a blend of timeless, elegant design and modern technology in materials and the hidden build elements. The closest thing I will ever get to anything made by the master craftsman Tony Bose. RIP Sir, and thank you for your legacy.

I’ve always liked the look of those Dogleg Jacks - it’s an exceptional looking knife that uses one of my favorite shields.

This thread prompted me to take mine out of storage and into the pocket, I'm going to carry and use it for a time and let it get some use. After reading some of the responses, I have re evaluated my impressions, and will let this one get some pocket wear. It is a beautiful knife, so why not just give it its days under the sun.

The pickbone on the Eureka jacks puts them in a whole new category for me. I don't know of another currently manufactured knife with bone jigging that looks so "old timey." From some of the photos on here, it looks like with just a little pocket wear these could pass for hundred year old knives. Brilliant!

Hello everyone,

My TB Lanny’s clip came in yesterday, but I sent it back in today so the retailer can go through the in-stock items and find one more suitable. Issues were bad centering and messed up uneven edge near choil.

As far as knife design, function, and lockup? Superb. But at $450 I want the edge even and centering somewhat decent.

I have had issues with case on their uneven grinds and centering before. Seems the TB line isn’t exempt. Definitely good to be able to check out photos of actual knife before buying.

Just saw them on Lamnia of Finland. Case Cutlery Case Bose 2021 Collab Abalone Smooth HT Trapper 10772.
Price....897.34 USD. What makes this knife a 900 Dollar knife? It is still a production knife right?

Just saw them on Lamnia of Finland. Case Cutlery Case Bose 2021 Collab Abalone Smooth HT Trapper 10772.
Price....897.34 USD. What makes this knife a 900 Dollar knife? It is still a production knife right?
Limited production.

Back