Thracian Rhomphaia Sword of Sitalkes II

Archer Here

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Thracian Rhomphaia Sword of Sitalkes II:
Hi guys. Finished this one up this week and thought I’d show it off. This Rhomphaia Sword is named after the Thracian Sitalkes II.

Just Put out a video on this sword – See my sword demonstration, historical footage on Sitalkes & Thracians. Hope you like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfmIbki0cjU

RhomphaiaSwordVideoPictureLink.jpg

History of Sitalkes II:
Sitalkes was a prince of the Odrysian royal house. He was leader of a body of Thracian light-armed troops, which accompanied Alexander the Great as auxiliaries on his expedition to Asia. The Thracians were renowned for their horses and cavalry. The Thracian tribe of the Dii were responsible for some of the worst atrocities of the Peloponnesian War killing every living thing. In Media under the command of Parmenion, Sitalkes received, through the agency of Polydamas, royal orders to kill the old general. In this province he remained until after the return of Alexander from India, when he prepared, together with Cleander and Heracon, to meet the king in Carmania, 326 BC. He was followed by many persons from Media, who accused him of numerous acts of rapine, extortion, and cruelty, and on these charges he was put to death by order of Alexander.

Total Length = 42 “
Blade Length = 28 “
Blade Width = 2 1/8 ”
Blade Thickness = 3/16 “
Handle Length = 14”
Handle Width = ¾ x 1 3/8 “
Handle: Maple with Ebony & Gunstock Stain Mix
Weight: 3 ¾ pounds

100_7608.jpg

100_7638.jpg

100_7629.jpg

100_7626b.jpg

100_7650b.jpg

100_7603.jpg

100_7550.jpg

Last edited:
I love the concept... amazing. If I had more $$ Id buy one similar to this.

Nicely done, Chris:thumbup: That is one mean lookin' sword:D

Thanks all. I'm real proud of this baby. It looks vicious and feels vicious in your hand. You would think it was some kind of fantasy sword, but it's not. It's out of a history book.

Glad you liked it.

That's a hell of a blade. I also appreciate the historical background you provide for your blades. Very nice.

Andy

That is one heck of an accomplishment! Good job! One question, did the original (historical) version have a 14" handle, or did you do that to balance the sword?

Dave

Wow! I love historic blades and this piece really blew me away. The rhomphaia is a relative to the falx, no?

Wow.... impressive story and even a more impressive blade.

Beautiful work !

Tostig

Thanks guys for the good words.

Good eye. Yes the falx is a relative of the rhompaia.

And the handle is orginally/historically that long.

Chris

Beautiful blade Chris. Your work keeps getting better and better.
Terry

Beautiful modern interpretation of an ancient blade. But what's with that half moon sign on the blade? :confused:

falx+027res.jpg

Not that there is something wrong with Chris' blade, which is gorgeous (I can picture me carying such thing myself :D), but Matei's "Falx" - (which is the original name the Dacians used for this kind of blade) is indeed more accurate (historically and ethnically).
I should know, I'm from those places... :cool:

Back