Thread posting difficulties

I have tried rather unsuccessfully to reply to a thread this evening maybe as many as 12 attempts.
Any logical explanation for that?

Is the Blade Forums server just that busy?

Last edited:
I've had trouble several times in the past. I think it has something to do with some kind of server protection software? Perhaps some kind of protection for DOS attack (denial of service attack). Every time there was some text combination that I could remove and make the problem go away.

edit: though it does seem to be posting pretty slow at the moment...

Last edited:
I've noticed that if I attempt to post a message and it fails, I have to significantly alter the text to have success on subsequent attempts.

This becomes rather irritating, as it often includes having to rehost images as the forum software seems to detect my image links in the new post and will reject it unless I rehost them with different urls.

I also end up having to rewrite entire swaths of description text.

Sometimes I am able to bypass this by posting an empty thread and editing everything in, but invariably within 14 seconds of posting the thread, I'll get someone posting a reply "I can't see any pics or price" and I haven't even had a chance to reload the page and edit them in.

I have had the same thing happen. I have decided that it is due to some hidden command in the text I typed. Probably from a keystroke combination inserting a command, caused by a hitting the wrong keys, editing, and correcting a lot of typos. The server can't process the command ( or whatever it is), so the little arrow just goes round and round until it times out. If I leave the Quick Reply box and return with new text, or greatly alter the text I have already typed ( and get luck in removing the command?) it will post. I never figured it out, and just chalk it up to one of the mysteries of "The Cloud".

That's an interesting theory also.

It is annoying enough for me to gripe and grumble, but for the most part that's it. Didn't feel inclined to bother spark/the staff with it, plus trying to find the ghost in the machine can be a difficult task sometimes.

It's an annoying problem, it's been here a long time, and I can't think of any other forum where I've seen it. For someone who does WIP threads, it can be pretty irritating. *shrug*

Guesses from outside looking in ...

A couple years ago, I diagnosed this problem but escaped my lazy mind to submit a smallest block of text that would reproduce this bug to BF sw dev.

I believed text-sanitizer function(for remove offending tags & injections) timed-out in an infinite loop. For my web apps, I use slightly less efficient multi-line of simple Regex (regular expression) rather than condensed lines with complex replace pattern. Also use a loop counter to fail out of a once the counter reached upper bound.

Until I run into this bug again, you can submit a good bug report by:
1. copy entire post into notepad - to strip out hidden characters or wacky encoding if any.
2. copy from notepad then paste into a new thread.
3. preview => if timeout, include this text-block in a bug report to BF tech support

* you can copy less & less text to pare down text block with timed-out preview, making harder for bf dev to throw this bug into a low priority bin.

Try using a different browser, I have had zero problems with BF and google chrome, Also using OS maintenance software will help, like advanced systemcare from iobit (freebee) make sure to run a defrag once and a while too, another thing people tend to overlook is cleaning the dust from inside your computer, excessive heat will cause errors in communication between your processor, memory, and HD's through the north bridge of your motherboard, unless you have very new hardware and the northbridge functions have been moved to other components, however excessive heat will still cause your PC to spit out rubbish causing difficult communication with the net

I once cleaned a guys computer, and the CPU Heat sink was a solid mass of dust and cigarette tar (heavy smoker in a small room) needless to say the PC would work fine for about 45 minutes then it became useless, another friend of mine kept his computer in a small compartment in the bottom of his computer desk also causing heat to build up causing random crashes and video issues

Here is the minimal bug repro text will cause BF to hung/time-out when posting. Note: BF dev - just replace letter 0/zero & 1 with letter 'o' and 'i'

dr0p 1n fr0m 1s where

Back