Three sodbusters

GEC #73 may be a better comparison to Bullnose .
I really like the blade shape of #73 and wish Bullnose has it.

IMG_1269.JPG

By the way, these sodbuster knives came with very obtuse and dull edges.
Is this normal for traditionals?

In particular, the edge of Bullnose is very obtuse.
I tried to sharpen the knife with raising the angle this much and still wasn't hitting the apex.

IMG_1273.JPG

The edge angle must be >30 DPS......

I agree that the 73 comes with a very satisfying Drop-Point blade, good and pointy. The Queen Country Cousin I have in D2 has a similar type too-will post a pic when I get back home...

Well, I have to reluctantly say that most American Traditionals often arrive with unsatisfactory edges or not very keen. Lot of people will say that it's part of the allure, putting your own edge on it...but I can't agree, a knife should arrive sharp enough to shave arm hair with no problem ;) Then you can adjust it to taste . The knives I own from France, Italy, Finland(here) China and Japan..nearly always arrive nicely sharp from new-this is how it should be too:eek::cool::cool:

I don't mind reprofiling the edge, but a nice even edge bevel from the factory at an appropriately (low) angle would make it easier.
Not a 30 DPS edge......

The knife did come in a box with "Queen Steel" printed.

I don't have any other D2 blades, so I can't make a comparison.
But the blade seems pretty stainless.
Since the knife was for a "collectors" association, they might have wanted it to be stainless?
I read that Queen has used 440C, 420HC, and ATS-34, and hope that it is the last one :)

Thanks for the info, David!

Hard to say why they chose the stainless over D2, for this particular knife. Purely speculating, maybe it was just an ease-of-manufacturing thing, limiting costs for an SFO. Or, maybe they figured a 'Youth Knife' in a simpler stainless might be less traumatizing to learn how to sharpen, if youths/kids were the targeted recipients of these. 420HC would be a pretty good fit for that. We know how D2 can give full-grown adults fits sometimes, in sharpening it. :D

Fortunately, this D2 Queen arrived sharp and well honed, so keeping it that way is not difficult.

Nice thick delrin slabs and excellent F&F compact too.

mURYn4W.jpg

Those D2 Country Cousins are the stuff dreams are made of! Great post miso2 miso2 ! I have read that at times some knives(and machetes) were left pretty dull so the end user can apply their own edge. I find that a little irritating, especially the bevel conditions you mentioned. One of the things that gained Queen some ill-notoriety. Good bevels make great edges. Keep us, ahem, posted on your opinions man.
Thanks, Neal

Another sodbuster from Bear and Son.

IMG_1272.JPG

Unfortunately, the spring is just so weak.
Just too bad.

IMG_1271.JPG

Nice!
Is it a small one?
I like the idea of "adjustable" pivot pin.

Nice!
Is it a small one?
I like the idea of "adjustable" pivot pin.

No, this is the large one. I bought as a work knife, but has not yeat used to any hard work. You mean adjustable like hammer and anvil adjustable?

Yeah.
According to the description on a dealer site, they make the pin somewhat accessible for hammering and tightening, as a work knife would need it eventually.

I must say that I did not like the plastic handle Case sodbuster. This Otter feels more robust and gives a better grip. It could have a stronger spring, but it has a healthy snap. With the Opinel 9-10 range this can be a real favourite work knife.

I got two more Case Sodbuster Jr. Pocket Worn (CV and SS).
The blade centering is bit off in one (CV), but the other is perfect.
Overall quality is superb in all three.

All three have hollow ground blades.

I really like this model...

IMG_1292.JPG

Last edited:
Back