Three strikes and I’m out.

Persistence pays off. I’ve lost count of the times I thought I was top 5 on a post to hit refresh and see I’m 37th. Part of the fun. There are some great people lurking the Carothers forum - get to know some of them, stay positive.. you’ll get what you are after eventually.

Last edited:
I live in Northern Virginia close to major data centers. My home internet is lightning. I'm upset if I'm not in the top 5 on every sale. *Ducks for cover* Sorry guys. Don't hate.

I live in the Bay Area close to major datacenters. ..... My home internet is :poop:, it stops working when it rains. Frequent power outages, lots of potholes in the roads, and happy to connect my G5 phone to G3 on the commute. Still scored a basic yesterday though, so whoever wants one will get one if they keep trying. :)

I feel properly chastised. I read Nathan's reply to my post loud and clear. I have zero problem with it. A fellow member I believe name is Karen pm'd me to reiterate it. Not sure why I was able to read the pm and not Nathan's post but whatever. I will throw this out there. I would rather my three children curse than drink.

I feel properly chastised. I read Nathan's reply to my post loud and clear. I have zero problem with it. A fellow member I believe name is Karen pm'd me to reiterate it. Not sure why I was able to read the pm and not Nathan's post but whatever. I will throw this out there. I would rather my three children curse than drink.
And nobody here is trying to tell you how to raise your kids or live your life. It was simply requested by Nathan...and whomever "Karen" is that you've chosen to call out, that you follow Nate and Jo's request while hanging out here in their "virtual living room".

I think even the saltier spoken folks among us, like myself, can manage that.

Thought my reply was pretty clear. I dont object to Nathan's request in any shape form or fashion. I do object to a Karen pming me like I can't read.

... I think I agree with several other posters, that the biggest factor is the refresh, and being lucky enough to refresh at the right time. That, and not typing with my elbow.
Yeah, I'm definitely in that boat.

After somehow, getting lucky enough to be 3rd in the Signature Series SDFK thread, using my phone, I thought about it and realized that with ONE exception, all the other times I've placed well in a sale thread, has been from my phone.

One of those previous times, I had stopped by the road side a few minutes before the sale (was usually on the road during the Friday sales). Checking whatever spotty connection I could get on my phone, and testing it with Speedtest just a few minutes before the sale, I was seeing something like 1.6mbps download, and 0.7mbps upload. Figured I had zero chance, but ended up placing really well.

Then there were my TWO different attempts for a Boot Dagger, that just crashed and burned atrociously. My 2nd attempt, I even scouted a place along my usual drive, where I was seeing 60mbps download, and timed my drive to stop there, and still failed miserably.

This SS SDFK sale, I was convinced that with only 5 available, that I'd have ZERO chance (the last 2 sales since the server change, I've had pretty abysmal placings), but I tried on my phone anyway. When I saw that I'd made it on post #4 in the thread, it made me think back about all the other sales I'd gotten good/decent placements in.

How bout been down on your luck and it just so happens out of the blue someone here on the forums hits you up for your Shiv…(is a huge perv and hunts the old Shiv sales threads and knocks on your proverbial door asking to buy your Shiv) just when you need scratch. You sell it, for cost cause it hasn’t blown up yet, then you see said person selling it four years later for $1600.

Talk about scalpers?

Back