Throwing a folder

Sometime ago I bought a cheap lockback tanto folder for like 6 bucks at a fleamarket. I tried throwing it, it was really good, I could bury the blade like 3/4 of an inch in the wood. Unfortunatley after about 5-6 throws the cheap plastic handle disintegrted under the stress. Would a good quality folder like a Sebenza withstand the stress of being thrown? Also would it be balanced for throwing?

Generally, throwing a folder and trying to make it stick would be bad for your knife whether it's a Pakistani cheapie or a CRK Sebenza.

what about hibbens pro-folder? how well does that hold up?

anybody experimented?

Commercially made folding knives make bad throwers. They are terribly unbalanced and break immediately.

Funny this thread exists. I have been pondering for at least two years now on how to tackle the folding hinge problem for a 'folding thrower'.

To have any thrower worth its weight in scrap steel it should be at least 12 inches long, more like 14 inches would be better. That means that a folding thrower would be 7 or 8 inches when folded - not your usual folder size but much better than a 14 inch hunk of pointed steel slapping at your side.

Now back to specifically designing a pivot joint/locking mechanism that would standup to throwing. I have considered the following:

1. pin-type joint with notch/pin cam locking device,
2. pin-type joint with a side-lock device,
3. pin-type joint with a lever lock-back device, and
4. a slip blade (from handle) with a spring lock.

One of these methods should work, but getting the details correct is the difficult part.

Any comments?

Back