Throwing a Tom Brown Tracker

Greetings Everyone

I won't go into detail but to make things short i've accidentally happened upon a Tom Brown Tracker Knife.
(http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380893)

Now, the manual tells me that this is a balanced knife and can be thrown very easily. But before i go about chewing it up i figure i'd come here and just make sure i had a vague idea what i'm doing.

Here's the knife...
http://www.spiritbow.com/tracker.jpg

As you can see it's fairly large but it's got a good feel to it and i'm betting it would be devestating when thrown.

When answering please keep in mind i've never practived throwing knives before. (i'd also appreciate some help on what to throw the knife into)

All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheer
-Falcatarius

Edit: I just checked and the knife is indeed, very well balanced.

Practice by throwing any knife. If you havent thrown before, you might not want to start with a knife you treasure. I dont think you will do more than cosmetic damage to that knife, however. Just have a place to throw where it wont land on rocks or concrete and you will be good to go.

Nice knife , I belive Tom's site has a user book on the Tracker. Throw lead not knives .:D

pick up a CS Tru-Flight throwing knife, about $20, good starter knife. for targets maybe you have an old dead tree trunk outside? also archery targets are good. look for my post on "winter throwing". folks here suggested some good target materials.

personally i have not been that impressed with the TBJ Tracker, but to be honest i have not handled one yet, guess it's prejudice against TBJ. what was that movie where the guy was killin the hunters with the TBJ Tracker? the throwing scenes were typical Hollywood, but entertaining.

nonetheless, have fun with that blade.

dhawk

I'd remove the scales before throwing the knife, yea, it will affect the balance but it looks sharp so you can't do blade throws anyway

if you never thrown a knife you might want put some orange cord on it because there is nothing worse than missing the target and your knife gets stuck deep in the dirt. its a real pain. you should practice with some cheap throwers first

Thank you for the good feedback all.

The tracker is a fairly unique knife in the way it's made so i think i might get a local metalsmith to make me a non-sharp "mock-up" of the tracker for any throwing practice.

I'll also look into that book you reccomended Deserthawk.

You wouldn't want to sell your knife would you?

I'm undecided at the moment as i havn't truly put it through it's paces yet. And once i have i'd need to decide if it's worth keeping for the amount of use it would get. If i decide to sell it i'll be posting it on the "knife exchange" forums.

Thanks again for the great replies.

Cheers
-Falcatarius

I know this is an old thread, but I had to chime in about the Tracker. I got one as a present for my birthday last year, and even made a few sheaths for it already. But this is the one knife I wouldn't throw.

It is just so heavy that it would demolish any target rather quickly. I've thrown a kukri knife until the horn handle split, and it was about the same weight at the Tracker. It just chewed through the target too fast. Also have the Cold Steel True Flight Thrower, and it's better, doesn't take huge chunks out of the targets. And of course significantly less expensive (12 CS-TFTs for the price of one Tracker).

So while it is a very good knife, thrownig it might make the handle scales loosen up, or chip the tip (which is fairly thin) on a hard target. There are just so many less expensive throwers out there. Although if you can find softer replaceable targets it should throw very well, it is indeed very well balanced.

The tracker is one heavy mother and it does hit hard.i threw mine at my buddies target (he's convinced a kabar can be thrown) I threw it and got 2 full spins and it hit the target splitting it.It was a rotted piece of plywood.I'm not a knife thrower and the fact that it didn't hit again in 5 throws means it was a total fluke.Like the others say practice with something less expensive.
good luck.