Throwing knife suggestion.

JM2

I’ve been throwing off and on since I was a kid. I started with cheap pakistan or China knives.

But I started throwing better quality knives at work. We had a wood floor and a lot of cardboard in the shipping room so I was able to not totally destroy my knives. I ended up damaging them occasionally though.

I have thrown a gerber boot knife or a cheap S&W copy a good amount. I used to be pretty decent with it.

I also have thrown a Glock field knife a fair amount. It held up pretty good and we never destroyed it though we tried. We being me and a few other boys at work during that time.

I throwed a case usmc combat knife some but the guard got bent, and I had to disassemble it and flatten it back out. So I gave that one up.

Now as an adult I’m researching some throwing knives and figuring out what I want. I’m likely going to get a cold steel tru flight thrower.

The primary feature I want in a throwing knife is that it’s not a knife that is only useful for throwing. So with the cold steel tru flight, it could be a survival knife, or a useful field knife too.

Is there other knives anyone might suggest that also fills this requirement?

Price is a consideration. I can’t spend $100+, but maybe more than the cold steel is an option if I find a knife that is awesome.

Last edited:
Throwing your knife is like "jumping" your car.
Sure you can build a car you can launch off a ramp or a sand dune, but is it a good daily driver?, prob'ly not!
The best throwing knives I had were mild steel, anything you can throw and not expect severe damage will make a rubbish using knife.

The Tru Flight throwers are nice to get serious with, they have a decent weight and length. You should be able to pick up 3 or 4 for $100. They come way too sharp for a thrower, I strongly suggest DULLING them down before you get started. The cord wraps won’t last forever so don’t let that bother you when they get cut up.
762C14BB-E96C-44FE-9F60-FFD1D8F86149.jpeg

I appreciate the replies.

Yea I know (figured out) that throwing a normal knife will is going to at the least be extremely hard on it.

I don’t understand why they don’t blur the line between throwing knives and user knives more. The cold steel TFT seems to do it. I been reading about it some.

I appreciate all the replies. I don’t suppose anyone could recommend a video or article on throwing that has correct techniques?

I appreciate the replies.

Yea I know (figured out) that throwing a normal knife will is going to at the least be extremely hard on it.

I don’t understand why they don’t blur the line between throwing knives and user knives more. The cold steel TFT seems to do it. I been reading about it some.

I appreciate all the replies. I don’t suppose anyone could recommend a video or article on throwing that has correct techniques?
If you have an interest in throwing a carry knife for self-defense / survival etc : https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/combat-knife-throwing-im-not-kidding-you.871966/

The type of knife made for sport throwing has to stand up to punishment that will eventually damage most carry type knives .

Plus , for throwing you want a handle that easily and smoothly slips out of your hand . For all other uses , you need the opposite !

Lanyard or fob is great on a regular user , but can seriously ruin a throw , by preventing a clean release .

Unless you carry multiple knives , you will mostly want a knife for utility .

You can learn to throw almost any knife, at short range .

I fasten multiple layers of cardboard over my wood targets to practice with folders and other knives not designed for throwing .

Avoid throwing multiple knives into the same space on a target to avoid damage to handles etc .

Put something down on the ground to protect from rocks or hard flooring .

Just wanted to chime in say that it’s possible to make a throwing/utility knife.

I made this boot knife ~2006-7 from 1/4” 5160 and tempered it to around 56-57 hrc.

It’s designed as a rescue/entry tool so the edge is pretty thick, but it gets nice and sharp and cuts well.

I started throwing it a couple of years ago and while I’ve dinged the edge a few times it’s holding up just fine (because 1/4” 5160 tempered slightly softer than normal).

6531A206-6021-47B5-891A-5D72472A9C05.jpeg
3D27D91B-BEA2-4E93-96C7-0399B97F93F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Just wanted to chime in say that it’s possible to make a throwing/utility knife.

I made this boot knife ~2007 from 1/4” 5160 and tempered it to around 56-57 hrc.

It’s designed as a rescue/entry tool so the edge is pretty thick, but it gets nice and sharp and cuts well.

I started throwing it a couple of years ago and while I’ve dinged the edge a few times it’s holding up just fine (because 1/4” 5160 tempered slightly softer than normal).

View attachment 2059390
View attachment 2059391
Cool ...but: Maybe a little pointier would stick better ? :cool:

Cool ...but: Maybe a little pointier would stick better ? :cool:
For sure - I didn’t even think of throwing it until I’d been carrying it for over a decade. As I said I designed it as a rescue tool, and while it did cut one lady out of a car (seatbelt and convertible top - by a bystander that I passed the knife to) in the end the function that it’s performed more than anything else is field euthanasia of injured wildlife... Go figure…

field euthanasia of injured wildlife... Go figure…
Yeah ...we've had several deer get hit by cars near our home , with broken bones . I've had to help ease on their way . :(

Had one doe that was just stunned . I examined her unconscious body , but could find not much wrong . After a few minutes , she woke up and ran away just fine . :)

Yeah ...we've had several deer get hit by cars near our home , with broken bones . I've had to help ease on their way . :(

Had one doe that was just stunned . I examined her unconscious body , but could find not much wrong . After a few minutes , she woke up and ran away just fine . :)
I had to do that once, was delivering newspapers on a rural vehicle route in college for extra cash. I actually managed to get the cops out to the spot where the poor thing was tangled in the fence- it had obviously been hit by a car and run the best it could on two broken legs. The cop comes and I asked him "aren't you gonna put it out of it's misery?" He replied "You can, if you have a way." So I used the tire iron. It was about done for anyway. It was weird as hell that the cop wouldn't shoot it, probably some dumbass departmental policy.

The best throwing knives I had were mild steel, anything you can throw and not expect severe damage will make a rubbish using knife.
Mild steel makes a terrible thrower. Any decent thrower will be hardenable steel.
Check out the condor and flying steel throwers. I have had no breakage or bends.

I got a cheap set of throwing knives that I’ve used a bit however I just ordered a set from SpyderCo. Not sure how they are as they just shipped but I got a good deal on them and I have had good luck with all my other SpyderCo knives. Anyone have experience with SpyderCo throwing knives? Thanks!

Last edited:
Get a set of three of the 14 inch condo dismissal throwing knives. You won't want to throw anything else.

I appreciate the info here. I haven’t picked up anything yet. I’m leaning towards the cold steel.

Back