Throwing push-daggers

Hey all,

I'm new here so if this isn't the right place for the thread, I apologize.

A friend of mine mentioned to me the other day about a guy he saw throwing push-daggers.

Can push-daggers be thrown? Are there people who throw them?

What do you guys think? Thanks.

Throwing is one thing, sticking is another and accuracy is yet another. As for people who do it, there are people who do many things which are strange to most others :). The why of this one escapes me, but I guess if they enjoy it-fine. :cool:

You can throw almost any object given the right circumstances... ;)

Strictly speaking for knives, like marcinek said, any knife can be thrown. Heck, I've seen guys throw prybars, screwdrivers, and any number of other objects that were sharp enough to stick into something.

Now, will they hold up under missed throws and repeated sticks and impacts? That's another question...

Any knife can be thrown, just most are not meant for it.

Like kitchen knives having their place, daggers have a very limited useage profile and throwing is not included. If you want to throw a knife for fun its probably best to look into an inexpensive knife designed for it. Best of luck.

What would be the lethality of a throwing-dagger against a live target?

If you bought a couple hypothetically for self-defense (for the home or wherever) would they be able to bury themselves into a target with the same lethality as other knives that were pressed into the same service?

What would be the lethality of a throwing-dagger against a live target?

If you bought a couple hypothetically for self-defense (for the home or wherever) would they be able to bury themselves into a target with the same lethality as other knives that were pressed into the same service?

This is an oddball question that doesn't have a set answer bud. (for the lack of people doing it)

You'll have to test it out, or find someone who has tested it out.
I imagine if the weight and balance of the dagger is similar enough to throwing knives then it would work in a similar fashion.

Last edited:
This is an oddball question that doesn't have a set answer bud. (for the lack of people doing it)

You'll have to test it out, or find someone who has tested it out.
I imagine if the weight and balance of the dagger is similar enough to throwing knives then it would work in a similar fashion.
You sound knowledgeable

What is the exact weight and balance of a throwing knife?

A good throwing knife will weigh 12-16 ozs, be 12"s in length minimum, at least until your ability is better, than- go smaller or larger it wont matter so much. I would however suggest the no flip, it allows accurate, solid throws without needing absolute distance markers

Thanks for the info, that's interesting..

I had some passing training with Butterfly Knives when I was learning Kung Fu years ago.

But I had not heard of people using push-daggers as throwing weapons, so that intrigued me.

A friend of a friend has offered to design some push-daggers for me, and I'm wondering if their defensive-qualities extend to projectile weapons.

Push-daggers seem a lot lighter than throwing-knives, though..

Thanks Brewster, better answer than I could have given.

Honestly OP I don't think throwing knives requires anything more specialized than throwing a stick, it's all about practicing until you can consistently throw the pointy end into the target.

Look up different techniques and have fun finding out what works for you :thumbup:

It does not take a foot long, 1 pound knife to be thrown correctly. I began with some cheap, 2-3mm thick, 6-1/4" long kunai's (that i still use) which i could easily stick with a 1-1/2 rotation (thrown from the blade, ~12 feet away). i could even, on occasion stick 'em from 2-1/2 spins (probably 18 feet or more away). i do believe that the weight will make long range use much, much easier, and accurate, but it is not necessary, only skill and experience is.

There is sport throwing and there is "combative throwing " which might be useful for self defense . Combative implies throwing with reflex response at random distance while moving . You can throw combatively anything that you physically are able . Tableware , chairs , tables , midgets , cats etc . You don't have to "stick" or even hit , necessarily . Even just a distraction may cause your opponent to flinch or hesitate . That alone can make a vital difference .:p

Back