Tiger Shark

I bought my SOG Tigershark bowie from the Cutlerly shop catalog when I was stationed in Panama around 1993. I paid around 100 dollars for it, and due to the fact that I was a USAF aircrew member that spent time flying over places where I'd need survival equipment, it made sense to get a hefty bowie.

When the knife showed up in the mail, it took my breath away by its size. I immediately entertained thoughts of selling it, maybe to a grunt stationed with the army aviation units, or to whom ever. After a bit of time I rationalized why it would be good to have a knife like this, that weighed over 16 ounces, one that could chop, smash, and also play a defensive role if things got really bad. I was always impressed by the way this knife held an edge. I carried this knife for the next decade while I performed my Air Force duties in the air.

My knive has the cordura sheath and a gun-metal (not powder coated) finish, with no serrations in the blade. Here's a pic:

sog%20tigershark.jpg

She's a great knife, and I've hardly cut a thing with her, but she shows some sheath wear and the sheath itself shows some wear (this giant bowie has gone around the world with me a couple of times).

Thought you guys might like to see a different version of this knife.

Mark

Hey Rimfire did you get your TigerShark yet? I just got an email saying "The SOG knife you ordered IS SERRATED." Maybe you got the last one. Anyway I just thought I'd let you know in case you haven't check your email yet. Back to the drawing board for me. I feel kind of dumb posting that link now. Bad timing. Who new?

I got the same email, but my email does not say anything about serrations. I am keeping my fingers crossed about that condition. The serrated blades are okay, I just had my heart set on one without and was prepared to wait as long as it takes. You could return it as there are cheaper prices available for the serrated one. I also asked him if he had one that was satin finished and that I would prefer that blade style. I was not holding my breath on that request. I posted the link actually. Maybe I should delete it.???

(deleted the link) You can still look at the seller's stuff using his seller's id.

I cancelled my order. But just before I got the email telling me it's serrated I posted a link for a non serrated TigerShark on eBay that's the link I was talking about. There's nothing like bringing the knife your bidding on to everyone's attention. That's the kind of dumb I meant.

Well, I received the Tigershark. SOB! To my disbelief it had the partially serrated edge with powder coated blade finish. I am stewing over whether or not to send it back. Seller was apologetic, but he simply told me a xxx about the blade. He will take it back.

Since that order, I have ordered a Hunter Revolver to try out. Something about that blade just makes me want to have one. A little voice tells me that this is a special design.

Sorry to hear that RimFire. I had a feeling that was going to happen but there was always the chance you got the last one. I finely found one. Its not new or any thing but it looks to be in not too bad of shape. Here have a look. Congrats on the Hunter Revolver !
You know it seems to me I can remember seeing a Revolver with a non serrated blade can't remember where though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7398217297

Good for you! I am going to crank down the knife buying a notch or two for a while. I will eventually buy a Tigershark with a non-serrated edge. Not going to worry about it. I also suspected that the Tigershark purchase was going to be serrated. Don't have one, which is why I am considereing keeping it anyway. I honestly think that the seller did not have those knives in hand and simply answered the email question without looking at a blade. He probably ordered the knife after he received the order from me, hence the reason for the delay in shipping.

imploder,

your Tigershark looks "just like mine" and mine's a keeper. It is the first knife tossed into the car when I'm packing up for a field trip or hunting trip.

And as you say, I'm also impressed by it's edge-holding, it just gets sharper and sharper and sharper as I wail away on the strop.

Cheers,

Carl

If you guys can snag a Carbon Steel Shark, do so! Like Carl says, they are sweet!! Am looking into sending mine off to get a new handle, either Wood or Micarta fitted to it. :)

Heber

wildmanh,

send it to me.... I'll put a new handle on it..... and trade it back to you for a certain sheath.....

Cheers,

Carl

Carl, I have a nice chunch of Purple Heart which I think would make a great handle for my shark. Would go great with it's Factory Leather sheath....

Umm, about that sheath.... I'd love to finish it, talk to the weather here. Been to stinking wet and cold lately to even think about working out in my brothers car port. BRRRR!!!! Ice and Snow almost every morning for the last few weeks. When the weather gets better, I'll adventure out side and finish, but not till then. BBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are a few pics from my mom's house!
http://www.kydance.net/~heber/IM000138.JPG
http://www.kydance.net/~heber/IM000139.JPG

Heber

P.S. Pics were taken in 2002 at my mom's old house. But they represent what my mom's new yard looked like a little while ago.

that would make a fabulous handle !! Go For It !!

all I'm hearing is blah-blah-blah.....

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. those pics remind me why I'm dumb enough to stay put here in SoCal.

Finally found a non-serrated satin finish Tigershark. It is on its way to me via the USPS. I'm excited!

Added note: Received it. Nice knife. It's a keeper!

Back