Tigershark Elite, Hard Use Tests

Over the next few days, I will post pics of my Tigershark Elite in action. It's been going strong for over two years of Hard Use. Sorry Chris that it's taken so long, but the time I've spent with it, has allowed it to prove itself as a Truly Dedicated Hard Use Knife. Pics coming soon !
e9914007d4047e8f673870467ea468cb.jpg

Carney,

I always look forward to you evals and photos.

But I wouldn't worry much about apologizing to Chris for taking too long. He hasn't been on here in over two years. Since June of 2013 as near as I can tell. It would seem the Sog folks have left us to fend for ourselves.

I greatly enjoy your authentic reviews. Very much looking forward to it!
LV,

Looking forward to the review and pics. Mistwalker also did a great review. I would love to try this big blade but the price keeps me away. Not much more and you can get a used seki version. Already have two of those. If I find one at the right price it will be mine!

Better look fast, the Tigershark looks to have been discontinued. I have been on the fence about this blade for a long time.

Looks like it's now SOGOTP time for me and others.

Better look fast, the Tigershark looks to have been discontinued. I have been on the fence about this blade for a long time.

Looks like it's now SOGOTP time for me and others.

I believe it has been discontinued for a while. As is, the price new is far too high even if I could find one. I wouldn't mind picking up a used one at a drastically reduced price. The exchange here is great for that. Because most people around here don't hold SOG in high regards you can get screaming deals.

32d0d4ea44a8adae53f2282fff160efd.jpg
d2c3d953d196f6e978592f304de2da5a.jpg
b99f4ccea95efe676527d748be25737b.jpg
72ec2483b52080da17badfe5402f8509.jpg
Copped through some dried Mimosa like butter. Of course I had it hair pipping sharp. Then I stabbed the limb and pried with it a little.

What happened next surprise me, because I have pried with in before in more extreme inncidents
dce35eaffe2f0b61679bd900d3d5402c.jpg
151dc4e32956757ca8f097b769d1b824.jpg
c0ebbddf24171f925b1b491a2c43ef81.jpg

I will get PMoore to grind a tip on it and get rid of the serrations. This is a tip strength test I do, that I don't consider abuse. Few have failed. The knife has held up well, the sheet being its weakest point. It's worth fixing. When I get it done I will post pics. O think it's best to get a knife you don't have to modify though

Wow! Great report, Carney C., but sorry about your knife tip failure.

Regards,
d-1
Thanks defiant, it's been a good hard use knife. I was shocked at how easy it snapped. But like I said I will have my friend regrind a stronger too. The knife was a test knife that in many ways was a very good hard use knife. The sheath was terrible. And I have tested the tip before on much harder wood. Maybe it had weakened. It disappointed me, bit its good to know what a knife will do before you spend your hard earned money on it.

This type of tip breakage on large knives...I've seen a few over the years (decades) but it seems to me like it occurs mostly with Stainless
blades rather than Carbon ones. I wonder if that's just my imagination, or that I simply by luck I just didn't come across them.

I would place that tip failure squarly on three factors... The knife is a fighter, designed to stab flesh so it has a thin tip, Stainless steel and the length of that beast. The longer it is, the more leverage you have and the more force you can concentrate onto the tip. I am not surprised that it broke. I dont feel like the tip was designed for that task.

Sorry about that tip. Nice pics though.

I agree with Ken and Riz. Stainless is going to have that happen from time to time. And the leverage on such a large knife is a big factor!

That said, If SOG came out with one in 3v for around $200 and with no serrations, I would by multiple.

Carney, after you get it reground, post up some more pics please!

Bummer man!

But good info to see. I would not have expected that from this knife.

Years ago, I saw X-Rays of stainless and carbon rifle barrels. It was an interesting comparison, and backs up what was said here.

I agree with what many of my friends on here are saying. But I have had great performance with AUS. And yes its a tactical knife, but there is enough belly under the clip point, that it shouldn't have broken. I am going more with HT. I don't like classifying SOGs elites as just fighters. Sorry. I will get it reground, remove the serration and get a good quality sheath made. I'm so gl
7151b0781338b1bc0a7c06e4c483e5bd.jpg
ad I still have a Real Tiger shark!

I said heck with it, I will do it myself.... Put new tip on it, took the serrations off, and took the filed spine off from tip, to the place where the spine V's. Its Razor sharp and ready to work. It actually feels better, like it's a little heavier in the blade in the around the end of the curve below tip. Removing the serrations gave it a little belly [emoji10] .. I can't wait to chop with it & see what happens!
1855d58d551a62799c57d9223c7cf725.jpg
1f28bf9592974af9bba3df09449c34ed.jpg
4787c7bd812715545ba445b96ad119a1.jpg
11bccefb559fbf0ca49fbb5b6da1e983.jpg

Back