1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 49 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Prize Pack , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Tigershark replacement...

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by Fletcher Knives, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Fletcher Knives

Fletcher Knives STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO Moderator

Aug 30, 2007
    Chris, other SOG people, I would like a replacement for the Tigershark. I know that you guys are trying to reduce prices without sacrificing on quality by shifting areas of production and using AUS-8 and others as apposed to the SK-5. I also realize that models like the Tigershark have run their course like so many do. What I want is something new from SOG that will not only replace the previous models like the Tigershark in design and innovation, but also be produced with the same confidence inspiring steel and in a region like some of the SOG's of old. I think this will accomplish several things, but two most of all.

1) It will be a revitilization and re-invention of the SOG "battle and extreme conditions ready" reputation with superior design and use-ability.

2) It will reignite the spark in your oldschool customers' hearts that long for more of "the old SOG". These customers, like myself, were disappointed with some of the previous models being retired (even though we knew that things have to change in order to keep going) and, in our eyes, some of the quality and pride being shed in order to produce at a lower cost for a more expanding customer base and availability.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to knock you guys for making the changes you've made to adapt with the world of overhead and range of customers. This thread is meant to be IN NO WAY insulting. The only point here is that, while you guys did adapt and develope tools at prices that compete with lesser companies in order to capture part of that market, and at the same time use a higher quality and less expensive tool to pull people closer to "the high end", you've taken away some things that some of us old-schoolers look for in our knife. However strange they may seem to some people, they really matter to us and are things that brought us to SOG in the first place.

Back to the Tigershark replacement...
    For a new knife, I'd like to see something real "nasty" yet classy at the same time. We need something beautiful, but in that "so ugly in it's purpose built design/warthogish" way that its gorgeous. I don't actually want a new knife with the already used enough "trident/bowie" style. We need something different. Something with a tough, non-slip handle that is comfortable for any position and also won't break down in any elements. Something that has a huge blade of terrific steel which we all know and trust such as the SK-5, 5160, etc. It needs to be able to hold an edge for a long time. Something NOT MADE IN TAIWAN. I know it's silly and my head tells me that the product will be just as good of a quality, but my heart says "at least Japan gives us tasty sushi and I don't have to worry about funding anything I don't want to". Like I say, I know to some it's weird, but a WHOLE LOT of people don't want to give Taiwan any money and for some reason Japan is ok. Plus, "Seki-Japan" looks cooler on the side of the blade. or even better U.S.A.! There are other things such as a flat ground blade and such that I would like to see, but that's for further discussion. I have my own designs and sketch's. Pretty good ones too. I know some of these things will make for a more expensive knife, but I think that is just fine. The group that this knife will appeal to don't mind paying a little more and are more than willing to spend the cheese to have something like this from a company THEY KNOW can deliver the absolute best in quality and customer service.

I just wanted to voice this in the hope that one of my favorite knife producers of all time will make something to keep these people around. In order to grow to full potential, every company needs to maintain two things.

1) Produce new concepts that will draw new crowds and keep them on the cutting edge (no pun intended) and widen the price range to accomidate everyone, not just a select few who can afford the best.

2) Retain your existing customer base by keeping them interested with products that appeal to them IN THEIR WAYS. Without keeping the customers faithful by producing what drew them to you in the first place, you don't grow. You only replace those who were there first that are responsible for your success with new customers with different values.

I'm sure you guys can come up with something in the same price range that will meet all of the needs of the old-schoolers who DO really want innovation and new designs, but want them produced with the materials and in the places that they already know and are happy with. I'm sure there is no shortage of people who can give their opinions and input on what would make a winner for you guys. People like myself would be more than willing to help you guys design what we're looking for. Anyways, point being, don't forget about us. We want to grow with you, not be left on the side of the road on the way to the land of more customers, more demand, and less cost.

Thank you for reading this.
    Dylan

2. Fletcher Knives

Aug 30, 2007
    Can I get a witness? ... an amen?... a haleluah! anything? Am I on my own in this opinion?

3. dl351

dl351

May 5, 2006
    I for one would love for SOG to make a good hard use blade out of carbon steel (sk5, 5160, etc). I am a bit surprised that nobody replied to this. I usually don't post here (mostly read), but like I said, I'm surprised nobody has replied to this.

4. BubbaGanew

BubbaGanew

Oct 29, 2005
    I would like to buy a "Tigershark Elite" too. Made out of SK-5. Made in Seki-Japan. And please no serrations. I mean just look at that Seal Pup Elite. Now picture the same knife the size of a Tigershark. See what I mean.

5. CorpsmanUP!

CorpsmanUP!

Jun 11, 2007
    you'd scare the sheeples all the way back into the city ;) . I would buy lots of those. I love my pup elite. I love 5160 personally but I think sk5 is great too.

6. Midwest Ninja

Midwest Ninja

Jun 26, 2007
    I'm in! .

7. Bushman5

Bushman5

Oct 31, 2007
    sign me up too, i would kill for a baddass full tang tigershark style chopper

8. Hammer27

Hammer27

Sep 17, 2006
    Just bring back the Midnight Tiger, fast and easy solution.

9. Pumpkin 40

Pumpkin 40 Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 13, 1999
    Amen to all the above!

10. Fletcher Knives

Aug 30, 2007
    Tigershark Elite. Got a good ring to it. :)

11. bigocean

bigocean

Jul 25, 2006
    What Dylside said...

Don't be shy now, keep em coming boys!

12. saintstephen210

saintstephen210

Jan 31, 2008
    Ya that sounds sweet dyslide. gotta be something mean and gritty a real throat slicer you know? and it definately would have to have some more aggressive grind lines with a throw back to the original tigershark, maybe some al mar influence.

13. Fletcher Knives

Aug 30, 2007
    SOG Delivered. Not exactly what I wanted, but it is a Tigershark replacement none the less and I MUST have one. I saw a lot of stuff in the 2008 catelog that made me extremely happy and I can't wait to add several to my collection. I know that they are moving more toward the AUS-8 and Taiwan manufacturing and it has made a lot of people, myself included, a little nervous, but after seeing the 2008 selection and seeing that SOG is definitely still bringing much higher end production knives, I feel a lot more comfortable with the way things are going. I still don't care for most of the lower end stuff and any of the Fusion line, but I feel confident that SOG will continue to make me happy. I absolutely HAVE TO BUY 2 of the Agencies the day they show up. I love that design.

Dylan

14. macgregor22

macgregor22

Sep 20, 2007
    whoa where did you find that
    did you hack sog or something

15. Carcajou

Carcajou Banned BANNED

Feb 3, 2008
    What is the purpose of a big chopper....go buy yourself a machete or a kukrhi

16. Hammer27

Hammer27

Sep 17, 2006
    Tigershark Elite.... :barf:Makes me want to cry:mad:

17. Carcajou

Carcajou Banned BANNED

Feb 3, 2008
    Rasp spine its useless and with that a knife have more difficult to perfore,to plant into something....if a want to file i will buy a file!

18. Midwest Ninja

Midwest Ninja

Jun 26, 2007
    Looks fearsome...the perfect EDC for the city!:rolleyes:

19. Guardrail

Guardrail

Jun 6, 2005
    Why they continue to put serrations on a large knives like that is beyond me.
    If they're targeting it to be a chopper, then remove the serrations and put a convex edge on it. Most people i know that carry large knives also carry a small one for there fine slicing or carving anyways, so no need to put it on a large knife.