1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

TIGERSHARK

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by Cobalt, Apr 11, 2000.

1. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    SOG made a seal version of the tigershark. What were the differences and are they still available?

I have an old Tech II, which appears to be the predecessor to the Seal 2000, but am not sure what the differences between those two besides coatings.

2. Ron Andersen

Ron Andersen

Mar 23, 2000
    Hi Cobalt,

Thanks for the questions. The Tigershark was the fifth knife SOG produced...way back when. It came with the exsisting handle and a brushed finished carbon steel blade. About four years ago, we changed the blade to 440A stainless steel. About two years ago, we added the gray powder coating. About one year ago, we added the serrations. All these changes were to improve on an already great design. None of the changes were to make it a "SEAL Knife" design. The similarities to the SEAL Knife 2000 allowed it to be included into the SEAL knife series in our catalog. The first lot of the current version of the Tigershark were sold to a distributor and called the SEAL Master. That was a name distinction for that company alone.

Regarding the Tech II, you're right, there are strong similarities to the SEAL Knife 2000. When we entered into the knife contest to win the contract with the Navy SEALs, we started with the TECH II, changed the handle to Zytel, added serrations, and put the gray powder coating on it, and presto...SEAL Knife 2000.

I hope I answered your questions. Ask again if I missed something.

[email protected]

------------------
    Email: [email protected]

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited 04-11-2000).]

3. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    Thanks, Ron, this explains a lot in terms of the Tigershark. I still see some adds advertising it as a carbon steel blade. Is the handle on it Kraton or Zytel?

4. Ron Andersen

Ron Andersen

Mar 23, 2000
    Hi Cobalt,

The ads are outdated by about four years for carbon steel on the Tigershark. The handle material has not changed; it still is Kraton.

[email protected]